GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    How does a group of 10 only spend $34.53 at Applebees?

That is like a party of 2 amount.
    From what I remember reading, the total for the bill was over $200. The table asked for the check to broken up so they didn't have to pay the mandatory 18% gratuity for a party of 20. The pastor then paid all the individual checks and wrote inspiring note.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Tipping is one of my pet peeves. In Japan tips are prohibited, and they are regarded as one of the best services on the world. USA has the highest tip rate of any country and the service is usually good, but not great. So much for the "better tips mean better service". In reality, a higher tips business means a lower base salary for the worker.

As Centaur said, there are some problems with tipping. They are underreported often, stiffing taxes and retirement plans. Had the business pay the full wages (as 99% of them do) they would increase the prices, and states would get additional sales taxes.

In short, all business should be abide by "one full price", without extra charges for the standard service.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

The only problem that I see with tipping is this:

Say you have a table of 10 people that ordered cheeseburgers, Fries, and a Soda and you have to bust your ass waiting on them, and their bill comes to $100, meanwhile your server friend has a party of 2 that get Filet & Lobster along with mixed drinks and their bill comes to $100.

Does it really seem fair that the person who has to do much less work gets the same tip, if not more for doing less work and just being lucky about the people that she/he is waiting on?

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Tipping should never be mandatory, except in large parties. With that said, I will leave 10% for shitty service, and 25% for great service.

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    The only problem that I see with tipping is this:

Say you have a table of 10 people that ordered cheeseburgers, Fries, and a Soda and you have to bust your ass waiting on them, and their bill comes to $100, meanwhile your server friend has a party of 2 that get Filet & Lobster along with mixed drinks and their bill comes to $100.

Does it really seem fair that the person who has to do much less work gets the same tip, if not more for doing less work and just being lucky about the people that she/he is waiting on?
    and the fact that if u have a large party of 20... u cant take many other tables, so if the large party screws u, u get F'ed pretty hard

TheWinner55
    TheWinner55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

Ive been thinking a lot lately about tipping. Why does cost of food regulate how we tip. Im not saying large parties because the servers work a lot more. But why if i go to ruth chris and spend 100 dollars on 2 people should i tip 15 when the server doesnt work any harder than if i go to apple bees and only spend 30
    Last edited by GOIRISH; 02-04-13 at 11:35 AM.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3364

Quote Originally Posted by GOIRISH View Post
    Ive been thinking a lot lately about tipping. Why does cost of food make regulate how we tip. Im not saying large parties because they servers work a lot more. But why if i go to ruth chris and spend 100 dollars on 2 people should i tip 15 when the server doesnt work any harder than if i go to apple bees and only spend 30
    Yeah good point. Usually tip a higher % on less expensive food than if eating premium steaks once in a while. Same difference in amount of work.

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

The reason servers are supposed to get tipped by percentage is because that gives them an incentive to try and sell appetizers, more expensive drinks, etc. Also it causes them to prioritize the people who are ordering more expensive food and give them better service to try and bring them back.

The customer and server both screwed up here. If Applebee's didn't fire her, they could get sued. I don't know why she didn't just redact the stupid signature.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Seems that whenever I am in a large party, the waiter/waitress already knows they have their tip locked up and the service sucks! The mandatory tip in theory is a good idea because I'm sure a large party of high school kids (for example) might stiff the help BUT it really stinks when you get poor service yet know you will be billed 18% for it.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Applebees sucks dong anyway, just another reason to hate them. Who gives a shit if they post a receipt online. You don't fire someone for that, you just reprimand them.

As for the bitch who didn't leave a tip, all she did was make herself look like a super kooze because she was getting docked the gratuity regardless and was told so - but decided she needed to be an uppity bitch instead of a regular person. I've never worked in the service industry, but my fiancee does and they put up with a lot of shit from a lot of trashy people. The people who don't feel the need to tip or tip like $1 on a $50 tab should get 7 less beverages or two less platters of fatty food for their fat asses and then maybe they could leave a $5 tip.

First 12