theAkathist
    theAkathist's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone ever lose a beer belly?

i put on about 30 lbs drinking. most of that went to my belly its huge. so i stopped drinking about 40 days ago and ive lost 10 lbs. but i dont really see the belly going away that much. it is permanent? anyone lose one before?

DudleyDawson
    DudleyDawson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Join a fitness center.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

I've lost a fat belly before. The only problem is I keep finding the damn thing again.

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

yes,

had to stop drinking, cut sugar intake, absolutely no white carbs and i jogged everyday in the morning on an empty stomach,

also did p90x ab ripper x 4 times a week

I have a 6 pack now

theAkathist

yeah i stopped drinking completely. its tough. i do have some benzos so if i get real stressed out i can pop one of those but i havent been doing that either. i only eat 3 meals a day no sugar at all. exercise 2.5 times a week ect ect

and the scale says i lost weight but my belly must have been so huge cause its still big. it can get really out of hand when you drink 6 nights a week i guess

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

i once lost a beer to my belly

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

yup, was 20 pounds overweight... Did atkins , with 30 grams of carbs a day for a month, and hit gym 4 times a week. Lost 25 pounds on the scale and gained 10 in muscle.... Takes discipline if you need sugar or bread though.

Teela
    not real
    Teela's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1916

I did when I got divorced.

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

Quote Originally Posted by theAkathist View Post

and the scale says i lost weight but my belly must have been so huge cause its still big. it can get really out of hand when you drink 6 nights a week i guess
    you have to remember the human body evolved to retain fat because of droughts and whatnot so your body will fight you tail and nail to keep it, especially your mid section

it took me about a year to get fit and losing that belly fat was definitely the hardest

just keep at and you will lose it, trust me it doesn't go away in 2 weeks or 2 months but it will go away
    Last edited by SteelRain; 10-27-12 at 09:24 PM.

theAkathist

steel i appreciate that. i am losing some weight but i want it all off NOW!!!! lol. you know how it is, all the beer commercials and pizza commercials look so good. getting really drunk and gambling way over my head is so fun as well. i miss that. ive set a date of Christmas if i dont lose the belly by then i will drink for one weekend then start the diet again

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

guy stock up on tilapia, salmon, any kind of fish you can find and chicken breasts. Don't eat any kind of bread or carbs like that. Eat a light snack (200 calories or so) for breakfast and eat normal the last 2 meals. Use this app if you have an iphone... MyFitnessPal

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
    you have to remember the human body evolved to retain fat because of droughts and whatnot so your body will fight you tail and nail to keep it, especially your mid section

it took me about a year to get fit and losing that belly fat was definitely the hardest

just keep at and you will lose it, trust me it doesn't go away in 2 weeks or 2 months but it will go away

what height and weight were you when you started? a six pack is a hell of an acheivement from a beer belly

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Still working on it, but I'm on the right track. I agree with everything said in here, cut out the white carbs and sugar, eat plenty of protein, good fats, fruits and vegetables, and of course get some exercise, and the weight will melt off. But it will still take time. You didn't gain 30 lbs overnight, and you won't lose it overnight.

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Still working on it, but I'm on the right track. I agree with everything said in here, cut out the white carbs and sugar, eat plenty of protein, good fats, fruits and vegetables, and of course get some exercise, and the weight will melt off. But it will still take time. You didn't gain 30 lbs overnight, and you won't lose it overnight.
    calorie wise I'm trying to go the 1.5 pounds a week route, but I'm still eating fewer calories than I need to. Right now I'm trying to get around 1700 calories a day and I'm probably averaging around 1500 but I'm going to have a cheat meal here in a bit and try to shock the system

Mantle7
    Death Stare
    Mantle7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

Despite what people think there isn't a way to just lose weight in a certain area of the body. Target training doesn't exist when it comes to weight loss. However, men store most of their fat in the stomach and obliques and women store it in their legs and ass. Just workout, don't eat carbs too late, and try to be healthy. The fat will start flying off.

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by Mantle7 View Post
    Despite what people think there isn't a way to just lose weight in a certain area of the body. Target training doesn't exist when it comes to weight loss. However, men store most of their fat in the stomach and obliques and women store it in their legs and ass. Just workout, don't eat carbs too late, and try to be healthy. The fat will start flying off.

I wouldnt worry about what time you eat your calories. As long as you get enough sleep it doesn't matter. Lot of truth there though, you can't control where the fat comes off from but most comes from your face and neck region first IIRC

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Beer or no beer, doesn't make a difference to me, I still have a pot belly. What I noticed is I ate more when drunk, then sleep, which made my gut more bigger but not drinking didn't improve things much. I heard that when you have a waste line like that, you're body's not absorbing enough insulin. I have tried push-ups and other workout, I think that will work for some but not others.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

A carb free diet worked for me... no bread, potatoes, pasta. Knocked out soft drinks and walked three miles each day... it totally sucked but after 72 days I lost 34 pounds and (most of) my gut.

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

Eat a balanced diet, don't eliminate carbs or try random quick fix diets. Don't eat only 1500 calories a day either. Exercise, the key to weight loss is to burn more calories than you eat. Also be critical of information you get that isn't from a registered dietitian.
    Last edited by PerfectGrape; 10-28-12 at 07:16 AM.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

You probably just lost water weight.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

yes, i lost my beer belly when I stopped drinking beer.
    it took about a month. with NO exercise.
    after that, you can drink beer but only once a week if heavily
    or 2-3x a week if only 2-3 beers a sitting.

this is the only way, reduce your beer intake.
    eliminate it if you can for a stretch to get a head start.
    sorry but if you work out and keep drinking beer too much
    you'll never lose it.
    that's my exp. good luck Houlihans

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectGrape View Post
    Eat a balanced diet, don't eliminate carbs or try random quick fix diets. Don't eat only 1500 calories a day either. Exercise, the key to weight loss is to burn more calories than you eat. Also be critical of information you get that isn't from a registered dietitian.
    Burn more than you eat? Thats impossible. You need to find your daily maintenance calorie intake and consume around 500 less per day to lose a pound per week.

Gemoka
    GIBBONS
    Gemoka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 437

I ate baked beans and jacket potatoes for 6 months and went running twice a day. soon gone

PerfectGrape

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    Burn more than you eat? Thats impossible. You need to find your daily maintenance calorie intake and consume around 500 less per day to lose a pound per week.
    Maybe I phrased it wrong. This is what I meant to say.
    Weight loss occurs when an individual is in a state of negative thermodynamic flux: when the body is exerting more energy (i.e. in work and metabolism) than it is consuming (i.e. from food or other nutritional supplements), it will use stored reserves from fat or muscle, gradually leading to weight loss.

One can consume less or exert more energy. Not an expert, but it is better to eat a healthy diet and exercise than to starve yourself and not get your daily requirements.
    Last edited by PerfectGrape; 10-28-12 at 01:27 PM.

Mantle7
    Death Stare
    Mantle7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

Ultimately everybody needs to learn how their body reacts to certain diets, foods, etc... What works for one person may not work for others. I'm carb sensitive so before summer I'll cycle carbs, and never eat them past 2 p.m. so I can really cut up. I don't drink alcohol so I don't need to worry about a beer belly.

Most people know what they have to do but just aren't willing to do it. It all comes down to how bad you want it. If you want it bad enough you'll run a couple miles in the morning on a empty stomach, eat chicken, Brown rice, and steamed broccoli 3 times a day.

Also, if you don't mind injections and you're 30-40 pounds overweight you can try the H.C.G diet. That works for everybody

clynnm17
    clynnm17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

everything these guys are saying is right. Overall you have to continue burning more calories than your putting in.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Knock back a glass of water and a handful of unsalted almonds 20 minutes before a meal.
    No white bread
    Do some sort of squats, low weight-high reps.

#1 thing you can do is eat a high fiber breakfast.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 10-30-15 at 09:25 AM. Reason: image does not exist

TPowell

Maybe I phrased it wrong. This is what I meant to say.
    Weight loss occurs when an individual is in a state of negative thermodynamic flux: when the body is exerting more energy (i.e. in work and metabolism) than it is consuming (i.e. from food or other nutritional supplements), it will use stored reserves from fat or muscle, gradually leading to weight loss.

One can consume less or exert more energy. Not an expert, but it is better to eat a healthy diet and exercise than to starve yourself and not get your daily requirements.

way too complicated of a view. I'm 5'10 and around 220 pounds (ballooned here lately) and I should be consuming around 1750 calories a day IF I want to burn around 1.5 pounds per week. This can happen multiple ways:

1. I could eat 1750 calories a day
    2. I could eat 2000 calories a day and burn 250 calories a day
    3. Some combo of the above

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

Start running. You don't see many runners with guts.

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

do not talk out of your ass if you are going to give some life advice. so you want him to eat more than 1500 calories and burn more than he consumes? the average person burns 400 calories running for 1 hour. you would like this man to run for 4 hours a day at a moderate pace? alternate days of 500 calories and 1000 calories, do insanity, dont eat after 6 pm. you're welcome

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    do not talk out of your ass if you are going to give some life advice. so you want him to eat more than 1500 calories and burn more than he consumes? the average person burns 400 calories running for 1 hour. you would like this man to run for 4 hours a day at a moderate pace? alternate days of 500 calories and 1000 calories, do insanity, dont eat after 6 pm. you're welcome
    The man is right. Gimmick diets are not sustainable for the rest of your life. Eating a balanced, whole foods diet is the way to go. Carbs are a good thing. 1500 calories are way too little for any adult male to consume. And it's been proven scientifically that the time of day that you eat is irrelevant. Your body doesn't know it's 6pm, so there's no issue with eating after 6pm. Too much bro-science up in here.

PerfectGrape

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    Let me say I am talking out of my ass, I have no qualifications at all and am not an expert. Nobody should take life advice from a gambling forum. I was simply regurgitating what I learned in my nutrition class and hoping to point people in the right direction for learning/individual research. Your body expends energy all the time, when you are resting, digesting, sleeping, doing anything. You wouldn't need to exercise for 5 hours to lose weight. Just from resting and moderate activity, you expend 1500-2000 calories or somewhere around there. So exercising for 2 hours would put you at say 2500 calories of energy expended. If you eat only 2000 calories and expend 2500 calories, you can lose weight. I am just ballparking those numbers, but that is what I learned in my class. I'm not sure what the minimum amount of calories constitutes a healthy diet or how little you can get by on eating, but I would research that and try to meet your minimum requirements. I'm pretty sure eating only 750 calories average a day isn't enough, the average diet is recommended as 2000 calories.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    way too complicated of a view. I'm 5'10 and around 220 pounds (ballooned here lately) and I should be consuming around 1750 calories a day IF I want to burn around 1.5 pounds per week. This can happen multiple ways:

1. I could eat 1750 calories a day
    2. I could eat 2000 calories a day and burn 250 calories a day
    3. Some combo of the above
    just in case you try and edit you fat bastard

GP
    GP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 864

internet search green coffee bean extract.
    no personal experience with this, but lots of press lately.