dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Direct TV New Receiver

Anybody get the new Directv receiver. If you are an existing customer will cost you $500 +, that is unless you haven't received anything in a year or so. I love Directv they have all the stations and most of the sports, nothing bad about them except they are a bit pricey. My monthly bill is close to 150 now and I don't have near everything that will cost you way over 200 a month. Also they raise their prices every 6 months or so sometime even more often. But Dish is constantly dropping channels. So you take directv or cable.

My sis has Infinity and she tells me that she doesn't need to record anything but can pull up any program she wants and review it. Is that true? Because she is not that interested in this stuff and she may have it all messed up. If she is right that sounds like a great deal. How does it work guys?

Oh btw, this new directv receiver will allow you to record 5 at once.

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board
    RogueScholar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

We have that same feature that your sister has with the DirecTV boxes, Dante. All you have to do is hook your receiver up to your home internet and it downloads the shows On Demand. There's a bunch of ways to do it, but the easiest is just to stick a '1' in front of the channel you want to download shows from. For instance TNT is 245, so the On Demand page for TNT is 1245.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by RogueScholar View Post
    We have that same feature that your sister has with the DirecTV boxes, Dante. All you have to do is hook your receiver up to your home internet and it downloads the shows On Demand. There's a bunch of ways to do it, but the easiest is just to stick a '1' in front of the channel you want to download shows from. For instance TNT is 245, so the On Demand page for TNT is 1245.

Thank you, I have on demand too but it isn't instant. I think we have to wait a while until the show pops up right. Meaning if I missed a show on sunday I won't be able to see that for a while with ondemand. But, I do love on demand. Thanks for your input.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    Thank you, I have on demand too but it isn't instant. I think we have to wait a while until the show pops up right. Meaning if I missed a show on sunday I won't be able to see that for a while with ondemand. But, I do love on demand. Thanks for your input.
    You are right about that.

Scalamanga
    Scalamanga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

I'm actually going to call DTV here soon and see how much that new receiver will cost. I did call them about three months ago and told them I wanted to "cancel" my service and they took $30 off a month for a year and threw in the Sunday Ticket.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Scalamanga View Post
    I'm actually going to call DTV here soon and see how much that new receiver will cost. I did call them about three months ago and told them I wanted to "cancel" my service and they took $30 off a month for a year and threw in the Sunday Ticket.

Yes, I was told that they will give you goodies once a year and I know it is true. I asked for something in july and they said I needed to wait until august. So in august I called and they gave me sunday ticket and a better price on espn game plan. So everybody is allowed so much once a year. They won't budge more than 100 on this new receiver for me, so it will cost about 4 something. I am going to wait a while before getting it.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Switched from Dish to Direct TV in August...Mainly because my receiver or something weird happened and my TV in our bedroom room wouldn't work. Called Dish and they wanted to set me up with some new stuff, sounded decent until they said my bill would now be 117 a month.

Got Direct TV every single channel for 67 bucks a month...and of course NFL Sunday package max. I think that includes the price for the 5 extra receivers.

I have the box that allows you to record 5 shows at once and I believe the guy that talked me into buying that one also said it's twice as much harddrive as the regular DVR. I believe had to pay 99 for it up front (same as the HD DVR) But got 4 other receivers for free.

Missed Dexter on Sunday night..for some reason didn't DVR it, and went to the OnDemand right after the show ended and was pissed it wasn't on there. So I had to wait 2 hours til it aired again...And of course fell asleep during it. That's my only gripe, is their OnDemand is a little weak. Other than that love it.

Have a 2 year contract and will call them to cancel as soon as it's up and either go back to Dish or see what kind of deal DirectTV will give me. Best way to go about things.