Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i got this email about netflix...

anyone else get this? what is this all about?

If You Are a Current or Former Netflix Subscriber
    A Class Action Settlement Could Affect You
    Para una notificación en Español, llamar 1-866-898-5088 o visitar www.VideoPrivacyClass.com
    Our records show that you were a current or former Netflix subscriber as of July 5, 2012. We are emailing to tell you about a Settlement that may affect your legal rights. Please read this email carefully. Go to www.VideoPrivacyClass.com for more information.
    A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit that claims Netflix unlawfully kept and disclosed information, including records on the movies and TV shows its customers viewed. Netflix denies that it has done anything wrong.
    What does the Settlement provide?
    Netflix has agreed to change its data retention practices so that it separates (known as “decoupling”) Entertainment Content Viewing History (that is, movies and TV shows that someone watched) from identification information for those subscribers who have not been a Netflix subscriber for at least 365 days, with some exceptions.
    In addition, Netflix will pay $9 million into a Settlement Fund to:
    • Make donations to Court-approved not-for-profit organizations, institutions, or programs.
    • Pay notice and settlement administration expenses.
    • Pay attorneys’ fees of up to 25% or $2.25 million of the Settlement Fund, plus up to $25,000 in expenses.
    • Pay a total incentive award of $30,000 to the Named Plaintiffs.

Proposals from potential donation recipients will be sought, and, after consideration, recommendations will be made to the Court. A list of the proposed donation recipients will be posted on the website.
    Your Options
    If you do nothing, you will remain in the Settlement and your rights will be affected. If you do not want to be included, you must exclude yourself by November 14, 2012. If you exclude yourself you will keep your right to sue Netflix about the claims in this lawsuit. If you remain in the Settlement, you can object to it by November 14, 2012.
    The Court will hold a hearing on December 5, 2012 to consider any objections, whether to approve the Settlement, award attorneys’ fees, and incentive award. You can appear at the hearing, but you don’t have to. You can hire your own attorney, at your own expense, to appear or speak for you atthe hearing.
    For more information: 1-866-898-5088 www.VideoPrivacyClass.com
    PO Box 2750 Faribault, MN 55021-9750
    This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

I've been a netflix customer for years but I've yet to get this.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

hmmmm... so no one else with netflix got this?

Coachep
    Coachep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1249

It's a scam. E-mail goes out to thousands of people. People who have netflix contact them. They then:

A: Ask you for a fee for the "Paperwork" to include you in the suit.
    B: Sell your contact information.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

You hit the jackpot ghengis.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

lol trust me i don't fall for scams but i just thought it was weird that out of a 9mil settlement the plaintiffs only get $30,000. so if 30,000 customers reply, they only get a $1 each. some of these lawyers are the lowest of scums...

boscokid
    boscokid's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Coachep View Post
    It's a scam. E-mail goes out to thousands of people. People who have netflix contact them. They then:

A: Ask you for a fee for the "Paperwork" to include you in the suit.
    B: Sell your contact information.

This response is completely wrong.

OP - that email just serves to notify you that you are being counted as included in a class action lawsuit against netflix (part of a price fixed scheme they had with walmart)

you do not need to do anything unless you want to opt-out of the lawsuit and retain your legal rights individually

mostly likely your windfall from this "lawsuit" will be measured in pennies or a netflix credit - so dont quit your job

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

I got it as well

Team Ramrod
    Team Ramrod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I got it

la321
    la321's Avatar Become A Pro!

i received this email as well and did a search on the website to see if it was a scam but i only found other members have received this email too

sneakerhead
    I NEED MONEY
    sneakerhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1417

received it two days ago

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I have gotten over a dozen of these from different companies. Throw the shit in the trash!