dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Do you like foreign films?

If so I can recommend two Danish films I recently viewed. Both nominated and I believe one won, not sure. BROTHERS and AFTER THE WEDDING. Acting was superb, I actually thought it was happening.

So much better than 95% of the crap made in the USA.

BTW, just a little bit of probably unknown facts. The Danish have lost more soldiers in Afghanistan per size of force than any other country.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yep, Danish, Swedes, Norwegian.... make some good movies.

Do you have selections from Africa? Oh, no? Go figure.

Funny how you love you some Euro culture... yet you fight for the right of the opposite? Hypocrite much?

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Wish I knew what you meant? I guess it reflects your bias and hatred. Grow up!

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Love it! Italian and French tops, Swedish and soviet are great too. You must see this Swedish film called "Mit liv som hund" (My life as a dog)

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by baskets View Post
    Yep, Danish, Swedes, Norwegian.... make some good movies.

Do you have selections from Africa? Oh, no? Go figure.

Funny how you love you some Euro culture... yet you fight for the right of the opposite? Hypocrite much?
    South Africa made some great films Did you ever see "The gods must be crazy" (both the original and the sequel). Ozzies and chinks are making some good movies also.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Thank you I will, I doubt if he counts S Africa. But, you're right I have seen a couple S African films that were great. Watch the two I mentioned. If you get Amazon prime they are both free

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Both films I mentioned ended without the major theme or problem solved. Not unlike life. American films almost always wrap things up in a nice finished bundle with the hero winning and everybody satisfied and smiling very much unlike life. In both films I mentioned it is difficult to identify the hero or the antihero, you want to cheer for somebody but you really don't know who. You empathize with all and hate all, you want things to end well but they do not.

Two very interesting films. America film makers would do well to imitate them.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Logging into my Amazon account now and checking it out....looks like a pretty decent film...will let you know what I think.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Yes.

A couple must see French films by director Gasper Noe:

Irreversible
    I stand alone (Seul contre tous)

Very gritty movies, not for the faint-hearted. Actor Philippe Nahon is in both of them.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

If you're into neo-realism movies, there's a cool director named Bahrani that has three good movies :

Man Push Cart
    Goodbye Solo
    Chop Shop

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

I'll have to check these out.

There's a Scandonavian (I guess you'd call it horror) movie called Sauna, not much plot and some might think it's boring..I liked it a lot. Very heavy, atmospheric movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9H0n...eature=related

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

Just finished AFTER THE WEDDING. Acting was excellent like you mentioned. Took a while for the plot to develop but I think that was the director's intention. I liked the stark realism in the movie. Overall, it was a good movie.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Love foreign and indie flicks. These filmmakers usually don't care about making a lot of money so their films aren't trying to please everyone.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Saw a few Swedish films that I really enjoyed... I'd definitely like to see more.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Most people dont realize "The Professional" was from a foreign film director.

Leon. Watch the international directors cut version

Le femme Nikita

Tons of great noir foreign films, Bergman, Godard You could spend an entire year with Bergman and Kurosawa

Last edited by gregm; 06-11-12 at 01:02 AM.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Bergman has the scenes in black and white in the rain in Scandinavia that are just haunting. Wild strawberries is a great film but most people have heard of this film but never watched it. seventh seal

In black and white and the criterion collection, the cinematography in these films is incredible. Fellinis films in black and white on a nice screen!

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Checkout http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154420/

Also there are a lot of good movies done under the Dogme 95 Manifesto that are completely "non hollywood". Just google the list.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Downfall/Der Untergang, best WWII movie I've seen, definitely unique. Don't watch if you insist on bang bang die Nazi die bang hate evil Germans bang hooah Merica kick ass that is Hollywood

Le_Donk
    In the Zone
    Le_Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1080

danish flicks are cool
    In China they eat dogs http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180748/
    and old men in new cars http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246692/

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

I love foreign films. I live in Costa Rica, so the United States is foreign to me.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

I am watching one right now, it is okay. Spanish, I am going to attempt to watch every film you guys mentioned. I hope I can find many of them on Amazon. I am watching DEATH OF A CYCLIST. It is an old one 1955 I think.

US films for the most part are pretty crappy. Some decent but rare. Last time I was in a theater was J Edgar Hoover movie. It was only okay. Rarely go anymore. I actually believe non network TV is getting better than US films. AMC producing some good shows. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Killing are all good.

Thanks guys.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    Downfall/Der Untergang, best WWII movie I've seen, definitely unique. Don't watch if you insist on bang bang die Nazi die bang hate evil Germans bang hooah Merica kick ass that is Hollywood

I saw this film and you are correct it was excellent.

Winnipeg Jets
    Winnipeg Jets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1459

[QUOTE=sickler;14996258]Yes.

A couple must see French films by director Gasper Noe:

Irreversible
    I stand alone (Seul contre tous)

Very gritty movies, not for the faint-hearted. Actor Philippe Nahon is in both of them.

where did you buy/see these?? i heard they're great.

Harun
    Harun's Avatar Become A Pro!

one of the best movies I have watched...