clynnm17
    clynnm17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Treadmill or Elliptical?

I started off on the tread but those damn shin splints were killing. Ive been on the elliptical the past 3 weeks. And just wondering which one is better or worse?

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have Elliptical...But I prefer just riding bike, stationary in front of TV or outdoors.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

outdoor anal

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Those indoor pieces of exercise equipment most often end up being expensive coat racks.

Get a bike and hit the great outdoors.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Elliptical. I am a former marathon runner who was put on the shelf by an orthopedic doctor. Basically years of running was degenerating the discs in my back, not to mention the nagging issues with knees and ankles. The non-impact machines give you the same workout, and in some instances an even better one since they have incorporated the upper body mechanisms.

RunningMan7
    Update your status
    RunningMan7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Elliptical with a TV is the best indoor thing. Especially during sports. I have done 90s min sessions watching a half of football. I dont care for treadmill as I prefer running outside if I was forced to run. If you are going to endure that impact on your lower bones, you might as well do it outdoors.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RunningMan7 View Post
    Elliptical with a TV is the best indoor thing. Especially during sports. I have done 90s min sessions watching a half of football. I dont care for treadmill as I prefer running outside if I was forced to run. If you are going to endure that impact on your lower bones, you might as well do it outdoors.

Yep doing any type of conditioning while in front of a TV makes it much more manageable. I couldn't ride the bike for longer than 10 minutes if there was nothing to take my mind off it. I can ride 30-45 miles if I've got the TV on.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Yep doing any type of conditioning while in front of a TV makes it much more manageable. I couldn't ride the bike for longer than 10 minutes if there was nothing to take my mind off it. I can ride 30-45 miles if I've got the TV on.
    Stationary didn't work for me. I was an avid cyclist, had the idea to stay in form during the winter months, bought a schwinn recumbent. It's been used maybe 10 times over 10 years. I can't get into pedaling without going anywhere

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Treadmill makes you work harder in my opinion but elliptical is safer on the joints.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Neither... Stairclimber Machine. Burns more calories... 2nd Best is Elliptical

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Agree 100%. I get in my best conditioning during the college basketball season with games on every night and weekends. I'd go nuts on a machine for 30 minutes most of the time, but commit to watching a half of football or basketball, and you don't even realize when your hour is up.

RunningMan7
    Update your status
    RunningMan7's Avatar Become A Pro!

And when I get really into a game whether mad or happy, I then use that as a way to turn up the intensity of the elliptical exercise. Another reason why I prefer elliptical is it is easier to watch TV compared to treadmill where you need to be kind of aware of where you step.

But without TV, I need to go from point A to point B with a purpose to walk, run or do whatever. So I have been incorporating ways to make household chores more exercise worthy. I also park in the first available parking spot and dont mind walking that extra block(plus saves on gas). This way,I reserve the gym time only for intense stuff or to work on certain muscles. This helps you not get bored of the gym if you spend less time there.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

ellipticals are probably better for your knees but i can never get the runner's high from that shit. i personally prefer treadmills...

clynnm17
    clynnm17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Thanks boys keep the advice coming