ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

When did Memorial day become Veterans day ?

I was always under the assumption Memorial day was about those who made the ultimate sacrafice, now it seems to be about anyone who has ever served.

That's a disservice, IMO

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

How dare you. Someone killed in WWII is every bit as honorable as a mechanic stationed in one of the 800 bases around the world, living hells like Germany and Japan, all vital to our protection. We have no freedom without these heroes

ncat12
    ncat12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

I think you may have missunderstood his post

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Everything seems to be about veterans these days

Maybe if we didn't start so many wars we wouldn't need all these holidays

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

The revolutionary war was about freedom from tyranny...in essence, it was about land/property rights.
    The civil war was also about freedom...in this case, it was about national sovereignty versus state's rights.
    World War I was about land/territorial control...the German state invaded and occupied neighboring countries to increase it's power and control and once they became a threat to other major countries war was inevitable.
    World War II was also about territory and power.

Religion does NOT "start" wars...wars are started by people...usually greedy, power-hungry people who want to expand the scope and/or scale of their power and wealth. When such people are placed in positions of power where they can command the loyalty of enough other people, they are able to start convincing others that some other group of people are a "threat" to their own peace, security, or happiness. Then, when such people have exhausted their ability to convince others to join their cause based solely on the merits of the cause, they seize on religion as a way to increase support for their cause among the "common folk" in their area/country...and that gives them enough support to escalate and expand the war THEY started for their own ends

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    How dare you. Someone killed in WWII is every bit as honorable as a mechanic stationed in one of the 800 bases around the world, living hells like Germany and Japan, all vital to our protection. We have no freedom without these heroes
    Yes, but Memorial Day is for soldiers who died while serving in the military.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

My dad served in Vietman... he honors Memorial day for those who died alongside him from what I can tell. My sister and I and other family show respect by being there with him on Memorial day and Veterans day... but I feel the Memorial day aura is more about his lost comrads than him. He definitely seems to know that and honor it differently than Veterans day. Media overdramatizes alot thats for sure.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Not trying to be rude or funny... but the younger crowd thinks Memorial Day was AKA "National BBQ Day" and/or "National Beach Day" and/or "Opening Drinking Day" you pick.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Steve, religion has started plenty of wars in the middle east

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Not trying to be rude or funny... but the younger crowd thinks Memorial Day was AKA "National BBQ Day" and/or "National Beach Day" and/or "Opening Drinking Day" you pick.

This. In the midwest it's national "public swimming pool opening day"

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

ive never thought of the true meaning of it, i always treated it as summers first day. i have no problem with veterans being honored on this day living or dead.

acampbell2345
    acampbell2345's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

I am of the opinion that any positive recognition that a veteran gets is great and well deserved. Its ashame that the accolades are so few and far between and basically limited to only one or two days a year. Instead they are to a large extent treated poorly by media, protests groups, and their own countrymen.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

My father was a 30 year military engineer.
    I appreciate all things military on a daily basis.

Let's see, protect our country, keeps us in pretty much freedom, we in the US don't have total freedom, but a lot of freedom, and just as important, gave my dad a good job, that put food on the table, that bought our family a house, everything a boy could want, Yankee games, a baseball glove, later on his old car, money for college, paid for my wedding...................