BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Probably related to .....
    LOL, Scottie "No Tippin" Pippen
    How pathetic a man who has made a few hundred million is known for not even leaving a minimal 10% tip like us broke Americans.
    Can't stand this loser.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Tipping system is unfair in many levels. Besides the variability in income (good looking waiters typically get better tips), it allows tax under-reporting, does not benefit retirement plans, the customer may not get a refund of the tip on his business expenses, etc. I agree on tipping as an appreciation gift for an extraordinary service. But now it is more like an expected extra cost for a merely passable service. It is so expected that it is already distributed to the rest of the staff and taxed BEFORE it is done.

From a debate I read:

Tipping is absolutely an arbitrary practice. The practice of tipping simply allows the employer to shirk on the responsibility of paying the worker a living wage. Tipping is the practice of playing the worker and the consumer against each other to the benefit of the employer. This is what the employer gets: he gets to advertise an artificially low price, and he gets to pay his workers a low wage, keeping more profit for himself, because the consumers will pay the worker for him.

This is a flawed system. In an ideal system we would simply have one price where all services and employees wages are built into that price. In fact we do have that "one price" in 99% of the services and products sold in our society. It is only in a specific few that the "one price" method becomes unworkable.
    Good information and heavy shit. I never thought about it like that.

gomiamigo
    Colts NFL ats
    gomiamigo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1404

Quote Originally Posted by baskets View Post
    lots of countries don't even have gratuities. built into American culture. and the concept has been taken overboard

was this a case of 'gib me dats' by the ordering family?
    Most of the countries that 'don't have gratuities' have them built into the price already. Here we break it out.

RunningMan7
    Update your status
    RunningMan7's Avatar Become A Pro!

There are so many service industry jobs where tips are not part of the job. Yet, I have not noticed any better service from waiters compared to other service industry personnel. Sure the enticement of a good tip is bound to make a waiter want to be better at his job, that is, as long as tipping is there. But if there is no tipping at all, and waitstaff is compensated the same as any other profession with bonuses for better revenues and all, then the entire restaurant will be invested in making the service better.

I will tip as long as such a system exists, but it doesn't mean I agree that a tipping system is the best way to ensure better service.

First ... 2345