thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

houston family refuses to pay tip

http://now.msn.com/living/0502-restaurant-locks-up.aspx

supposedly this restaurant has a policy where they include a 17% gratuity to your bill if your party has over 5 people. this family didnt want to pay the tip because they thought the service was poor. apparently they were locked inside the restaurant, the cops showed up, they eventually paid the tip and left. i could make arguments for both sides here, but i lean to siding with the restaurant.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

It's easy to be a cheap ass and just say "Service was bad" as an excuse. The problem arises when servers get lazy because they know they're getting paid regardless. Could go either way.

I do like how the restaurant made them pay. Good to see they have the staff's back. Pretty rare.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

they weren't used to the automatic 17% gratuity cause popeyes doesn't have it
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BuddyBear, and darkhat

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

only right decision if this 17% note was clearly on menu.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

This story was just on KTLA local news here in SoCal. Certainly isn't going to help the stereotype of certain races being bad tippers.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

it was pick, thats why i side with the restaurant. however if the service was that ridiculously bad, the customers definitely made their statement the best way possible IMO, definitely looks bad for la fisherman getting this plastered all over the world wide web. im sure since these were black patrons this will be salooned any time now.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

forced gratuities are always a touchy issue, the point of the tip is to insure good service. ive been in a similar situation once or twice but ive just sucked it up and paid it.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    forced gratuities are always a touchy issue, the point of the tip is to insure good service. ive been in a similar situation once or twice but ive just sucked it up and paid it.
    so lets say 5 people. minimum $10 a meal with drinks (although im guessing it was more) would put the bill at $50ish. 17% of that is $8.50. i don't care how fukkin awful the service was, if you can't fork over $1.70 per person then you are a fukkin piece of trash.
    Last edited by blackbeSSt; 05-03-12 at 10:58 AM.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    so lets say 5 people. minimum $10 a meal with drinks (although im guessing it was more) would put the bill at $50ish. 17% of that is $8.50. i don't care how fukkin awful the service was, if you can't fork over $1.70 per person then you are a fukkin piece of trash.
    depends on what they got. most of the meals on the menu dont have a price. this could have been a $200+ plus meal. the article never says. ive usually given 10-30% tip range on meals, sometimes ive wanted to leave 0 though.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

lots of countries don't even have gratuities. built into American culture. and the concept has been taken overboard

was this a case of 'gib me dats' by the ordering family?

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

ie, wanting everything for free ... plus some good free Section 8?

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

should of gone to browns,got kickass breaded mushrooms

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

It's not a question over whether a diner can afford it. While a restaurant has every right to add a certain tip, it then needs to make sure it meets a certain standard of service.

Of course, these diners could have handled things differently, too. I'm willing to wager a manager would correct a bill if the party simply explained the tip was undeserved because this, that and the other thing were bad.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    It's easy to be a cheap ass and just say "Service was bad" as an excuse. The problem arises when servers get lazy because they know they're getting paid regardless. Could go either way.

I do like how the restaurant made them pay. Good to see they have the staff's back. Pretty rare.
    Yes that certainly can be a problem.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

http://www.la-fisherman.com/index.ph...=62&Itemid=148

it clearly states at the bottom of the menu that 17% is added to parties of 5 or more, thats the only reason i think the restaurant was right here. the customers got their way in the end because they gave this restaurant bad publicity over the incident.

ive never worked the restaurant industry, im sure people who have feel differently then i would.

im curious to know if anyone from houston actually has eaten at this restaurant and their experience.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Probably related to .....

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Wheres Rev Al?? These folks needin help!!!

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Are there facts that the patrons were black or are you guys just inserting stereotypes to make your case?

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Are there facts that the patrons were black or are you guys just inserting stereotypes to make your case?
    Their picture was on the morning news. Yes, they are black. Unless of course..........there had been a crime committed and then they'd be white.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I always pay 20% no matter what. I'm lucky enough to never run into a situation when the service was poor. The girls who I know who are around 18-20 and work in restaurants... it's not uncommon to see a $3.00 tip when the bill is $67.00 etc. Girls tell me it happens more than you think with the economy in Detroit. But the truth is... people are cheap. Don't eat out if you aren't going to give 20%. Plain and simple. You aren't a banker... you don't make decisions on the interest rate for waitresses.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: dj_destroyer, and InTheDrink

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Wow! So you're telling me these people wanted a service performed, and then didn't think they should have to pay for it?

Shocking!!

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

TIPPING:

Awful service: 5% -- Even if the service is really horrendous, servers have to tip-out to support staff (bussers, bartenders, hostesses, food runner, etc.) so leaving 5% is basically like leaving nothing. You should NEVER leave less than 5%. If you hated your server and everything they did, tell them, tell a manger, and leave 5%. Do not stiff, it fukks over everyone!

Decent service: 10% -- If the service wasn't up to par, let them know verbally and through your tip. You'll feel better about leaving a shitty tip if you explain to the server why. This works two-fold. The server may not know they suck and will get better; or on the other hand, perhaps they can shed some light onto some of the areas of the hospitality industry that you may not be familiar with.

Good service: 15% -- Good service is the standard. This is why 15% is also the standard. Servers do a lot more behinds the scenes that you think. We also put up with A LOT of bullshit while working for less than minimum wage. We live on tips!

Great service: 20% -- You know you got great service when you just feel great at the end of your meal. Everyone is satisfied, no one is upset, food and atmosphere were superb. If your night has gone excellent, don't naively think it was all that job promotion you got today or the fact that your date hasn't bailed on you yet, it definitely had to do with your server.

Amazing service: 25%+ -- If your server goes above and beyond the normal call of duty, if it's a very important date or planned event (wedding, birthday, stag & doe, bachelorette, etc.), or if they did anything at all that not only impressed you but surprised you. Reward them. We won't expect you to tip 25% everytime but you can definitely be sure that we'll remember you... and repay your good tips with the best service.

CrazyCarl
    CrazyCarl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2162

The policy was clear. The family didn't read the fine print. Not the restaurant's fault.

Don't like the policy, don't go to the restaurant. If the market agrees with you, they'll either change it or go out of business.

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    The policy was clear. The family didn't read the fine print. Not the restaurant's fault.

Don't like the policy, don't go to the restaurant. If the market agrees with you, they'll either change it or go out of business.
    We have a loose policy that a group over 8 can be charged gratuity at the server's discretion... But I don't think it's posted anywhere.

Do customers have legal grounds to deny the gratuity?

I think so.

Unless like you said, it is posted in the fine print.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

As long as it was stated that mandatory 17% tip is included with check then restaurant did nothing wrong. You sit, and you eat, you are agreeing with the terms.. Now how the family was "locked inside the restaurant" can open a different case of kidnapping..

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

the resturant is setting theirselves up for a lawsuit though by locking them him. You are not allowed to hold someone against their will. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Curious about the manager of the resturant that was on duty though. If i was the manager i would of waived the tip if they told me the service was not good. Sometimes the best move is to sasitfy the customer if you own or manage a buisness espically in this ecomony. Now you have bad press on top of it.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah when is 5 a large party? I am assuming this is a mexican place being la fisherman and how many mexican familys have less then 5?

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

I guess I disagree with most here. I usually tip b/t 20-25%. When a restaurant throws in the automatic 17-18% for 'large' parties I'll pay that but usually nothing more. It's crap that gratuity is automatic.

A tip is something that I give for 'good' service, refilling my drink when I'm low, making sure the food is decent, basically giving a sh*t that I'm actually spending my money at their establishment.

Screw all that noise that I have to pay 'x' dollars more because some waiter or waitress sucks at their job or ignores me.

And this isn't because I think waiters/waitresses suck. I usually tip in cash even if I pay the bill in credit just so they don't have to claim it.

But if you suck, you ain't getting my hard earned moneys.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

Lebron tipped 17 dollars on a 30k tab no one cared

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    the resturant is setting theirselves up for a lawsuit though by locking them him. You are not allowed to hold someone against their will. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Curious about the manager of the resturant that was on duty though. If i was the manager i would of waived the tip if they told me the service was not good. Sometimes the best move is to sasitfy the customer if you own or manage a buisness espically in this ecomony. Now you have bad press on top of it.
    You can detain people as a peace officer if you have reasonable grounds to believe they have committed a crime. (In this case, they were trying to steal).

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

Server should get a real job. Meaning even if they want to serve tables, work at an etablishment that doesn't attract cheap trash.

CrazyCarl
    CrazyCarl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2162

Quote Originally Posted by dj_destroyer View Post
    TIPPING:

Awful service: 5% -- Even if the service is really horrendous, servers have to tip-out to support staff (bussers, bartenders, hostesses, food runner, etc.) so leaving 5% is basically like leaving nothing. You should NEVER leave less than 5%. If you hated your server and everything they did, tell them, tell a manger, and leave 5%. Do not stiff, it fukks over everyone!

Decent service: 10% -- If the service wasn't up to par, let them know verbally and through your tip. You'll feel better about leaving a shitty tip if you explain to the server why. This works two-fold. The server may not know they suck and will get better; or on the other hand, perhaps they can shed some light onto some of the areas of the hospitality industry that you may not be familiar with.

Good service: 15% -- Good service is the standard. This is why 15% is also the standard. Servers do a lot more behinds the scenes that you think. We also put up with A LOT of bullshit while working for less than minimum wage. We live on tips!

Great service: 20% -- You know you got great service when you just feel great at the end of your meal. Everyone is satisfied, no one is upset, food and atmosphere were superb. If your night has gone excellent, don't naively think it was all that job promotion you got today or the fact that your date hasn't bailed on you yet, it definitely had to do with your server.

Amazing service: 25%+ -- If your server goes above and beyond the normal call of duty, if it's a very important date or planned event (wedding, birthday, stag & doe, bachelorette, etc.), or if they did anything at all that not only impressed you but surprised you. Reward them. We won't expect you to tip 25% everytime but you can definitely be sure that we'll remember you... and repay your good tips with the best service.
    I disagree with parts of this, but you forgot some important things:

-If you are getting food for half off or something because of some great deal or coupon, tip as if it was full price (I forget to do this sometimes and I wish I didn't -- for example half priced appetizers at apple bees)

-If your server works to get something free for you (whether something went wrong with the order, because they're nice, or whatever), you should be generous. They have to go bug their manager about that to get it done at some places. Even if they didn't, who cares? They're working with you to try to get you free stuff. Don't be a douche

-Never tip taxes (shouldn't really be important unless you exceed a certain amount, unless you're seriously going to pull out dimes and nickles in order to tip exactly 15% -- even if you did that though, servers would be quick to call these people cheap and fighting hard over trivial amounts of money, since the trivial money is not going to their wallet in this case. I don't think it's fair to call someone cheap for tipping exactly 15% if that's what they want to do though, instead of 17% or 18%)

From the point of view of a former cook/host/busser, and current customer.
    Last edited by CrazyCarl; 05-03-12 at 12:10 PM.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Why do we need to tip

Tips are included in that $10 sandwich and $8 beer.

Fukk them!

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    Why do we need to tip

Tips are included in that $10 sandwich and $8 beer.

Fukk them!
    remember up at safeco field this chick gave me and my friend a bad time buying 8 dollar beers and is like where's my tip. I"m like really if this buckin beer wasn't 8 bucks i'd be giving you a tip. Here's a tip don't work where someone charges 8 bucks a beer cuts into your tip fund.

blackbeSSt

what kills me is that just cause i order a $40 steak compared to a $10 burger, i have to tip x% on the $30 difference. theres not gonna be one fukkin iota of the quality of service just cause i ordered a steak.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: emoney, seaborneq, and TheAntFather

1234 ... Last