robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Attn Golfers. What are the best irons for weekend golfers?

Does it really matter what Brand of irons you buy?
    Which is best for casual golfers? Nike, Cobra, Calloway, Taylormade?

Mriceyman
    Mriceyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2373

I picked up pings from dicks for 350.. i likr em

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

What about Nike V's?

yydouble
    Golf Expert
    yydouble's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
    Does it really matter what Brand of irons you buy?
    Which is best for casual golfers? Nike, Cobra, Calloway, Taylormade?
    Go to a range and hit everything you can get your hands on, remember the brand you hit the best, or go to a fitter and tell him to fit you for the brand you get the best results with. Most fittings are free if you buy a set. Stay away from cheap, unknown brands, very hard to re-sell.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

I got the Nike VR Cavity Irons for 325.00.

mnpickle
    mnpickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3194

Go to any small golf outlet and tell them you are looking for a set of game improvement irons. Generally, iron manufactures classify their irons into 3 categories:

Players' Irons: These are for individuals who play a lot of golf and take it somewhat serious. These clubs offer a thin top line and allows the ability for the golfer to shape the shot. They are extremely difficult to hit and any type of mishit will be exaggerated. Tour pros use these and they are often called 'blades'. Not recommended for the casual weekend golfer.

Game Improvement Irons: These irons are for the casual golfer who wants to enjoy the game wiithoutnhaving having to hit every shot perfectly. Small mishits will still cause the ball to travel a reasonable distance. The only disadvantages to these irons are they are not ideal for shaping shots as the technology in the clubs are designed to get the ball in the air and let gravity do the rest. Additionally, they are larger than blades which may not be aesthetic to the golfer.

Super Game Improvement Irons: Basically similar to Game Improvement Irons, but are bigger and more clunky. Designed for gofers who have difficulty hitting a ball in the air.

I havent shopped for clubs in a while, but Players' irons are like the Callaway x-20 tour and Titliest AP2, while Game Improvements are like Callaway X-20 and Titliest AP1

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4931

Cobras or Clevelands!

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Callaway metals, titleist irons, cleveland wedges, odyssey putter.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Try to go to a store/range. Don't get a 3 or 4 iron, use hybrids instead. They're much easier to hit than the low irons.

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

I picked up a set of Taylor Made 2.0 irons for $450 Canadian back in november.

I haven't had a chance to use them yet as its still cold as **** here but I've only heard good things about them and $450 for a quality set of irons isn;t too bad.

By the way I got them at GolfTown.com