a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Recruiters selling you out to your employer

Guys,

I work at a place that has less than 50 people and in my engineering dept (which is 5 people currently), 12 people have come and left in the last year (management is a dictatorship). Lately I've been applying and trying to find jobs but at the same time getting recruiters emailing and calling me that I didn't somehow come in touch with. I've heard of my employer having recruiters touch base with current employees to see if they are leaving soon in the past, so I don't want them to know, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on a great opportunity. I've heard recruiters make 10% of your first year salary, so is it possible they would sell me out to my employer that I'm looking and still end up helping me anyway? The president of my company is linked with some of the recruiters on linkedin, so I'm really not sure how to go about this. Do i straight up ask these recruiters or will they think I'm crazy?

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

This is a tough spot to be in, have been in it a few times before myself. I assume you're listing your current employer's name on your resume? If so - bottom line - assume that once a recruiter has your resume, everyone has it no matter how "confidential" your recruiter says they will treat your search. Recruiters are scum of the Earth, mere salesmen and will do anything to get their commission - even if it means selling your resume to another recruiter for a kickback.

When looking for a different job when you're already employed, best advice is to list your current employer as PRIVATE and do NOT respond to job adds that are run through recruiters. Be firm in saying that you will NOT reveal your current employer's name until the interviewing stage with the actual hiring manager.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Thanks for the advice

Scalamanga
    Scalamanga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

I'm pretty sure recruiters get a lot more than 10 percent

bswagos
    bswagos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2547

Quote Originally Posted by Scalamanga View Post
    I'm pretty sure recruiters get a lot more than 10 percent
    That can depend on the industry.

OP- How did you get this job? Through a recruiter?

uup115
    uup115's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3146

try working for yourself.