PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Biggest decision of my life so far: Would love some opinions.

I've been accepted into a few different schools. One is highly ranked (top 25) in the country but it is a college town (Champaign) and I only received $5,000 off the $41,000 sticker price per year. So it'll be pretty expensive. With this school being higher ranked, it would help job opportunities after graduation to graduate from here. A downside is that since it is a college town, intern opportunities would be a bit worse.

I've also been accepted to a couple of schools in Chicago and both schools offered slightly over half rides off of sticker price of 38,000 or so. So only about $18,000 to go here, plus the added cost of living in Chicago. The schools are good schools, just not ranked as high as the University of Illinois so I would have to make sure I was near the top of the class to secure the same type of job opportunities. These schools will place well as long as you are in the top 20% or so of your class.

Some pros and cons I've thought up are below, but I was hoping if you guys could help me out and think of some things, good or bad for each choice that I possibly am missing.

Champaign: Pro - better school, better university, big Illini fan so will be able to go to basketball and football games. Con - I'll have to watch bad football and bad basketball teams. Ha, just kidding. Con is that there isn't that much to do in Champaign and to have any fun I'll probably have to drive 2 1/2 hours to Chicago. Champaign also has a very distinct smell that I heard takes a year or so to get used to.

Chicago: More expensive living, smaller apartment, lesser school, but pros are that there is so much to do, lots of sporting events to attend, tons of bars, tons of parks, girlfriend will be happy because she is pressuring me to pick Chicago mostly for the shopping, parents are pushing me for Champaign because they think I will be shot in Chicago.

Complicated decision. Gotta know by around mid April so I'm trying to get it sorted out.

PickWinnerAllDay

Damn I got sent to the Saloon quickly!

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Go to U of I, I went and loved it.. Huge ILLINI fan as well.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

do NOT, i repeat do NOT get into massive debt going to college if you can avoid it under any circumstance

icemaster47
    icemaster47's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2676

Not sure what you are studying but in my time as a hiring manager not once did I look at where the diploma came from... Having the diploma might get you in the door. You get the job on your own merit.

Scalamanga
    Scalamanga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Go to community college for first two years for 3-5k per year and transfer.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

"Isn't that much to do in Champaign"

There are co-eds. That's plenty to do in Champaign.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

Know a kid who went to u of I and played on golf team with da points. Needless to say he's almost 40. And making about 40 grand a year. Haha good luck

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Scalamanga View Post
    Go to community college for first two years for 3-5k per year and transfer.
    This is law school... lol, already have my undergrad.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by icemaster47 View Post
    Not sure what you are studying but in my time as a hiring manager not once did I look at where the diploma came from... Having the diploma might get you in the door. You get the job on your own merit.
    For some jobs that might be true. As a lawyer, the better your school, the better your job opportunities. Top 250 firms pretty much check your rank in your class and the rank of your school.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I thought you previously had mentioned that you scored in the higher percentile on your tests, and that only gets you 5K off 40K a year?

I would not go there.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Are you footing the bill? I'm guessing your parents are. If by some chance they are not you'll be 6 figures in debt by the time you finish college and paying off debt for the next 15 years. Are those tuition rates for in state or out of state students? There is a big difference at state schools. Smartest move is to bite bullet on tuition for 1 year and establish residence in IL to lower costs. Let's be honest though, if you are posting at a gambling forum in HS I think you are going to have major problems finishing school anyways.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Go to Illinois. Great law program.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gates
    Jobs
    Ellison
    Hizzzyinga

never graduated college. college present-day is one of the great con jobs there is

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by baskets View Post
    Gates
    Jobs
    Ellison
    Hizzzyinga

never graduated college. college present-day is one of the great con jobs there is

Any of those guys Lawyers?

This kid has big dreams, he wants to be a lawyer, you just don't fall into that kinda job...Gotta go to class for that.

Seems like this kid has his goals set and I'm betting that he will achieve them.

BOL.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

You must have somewhat of a brain. Are you lonely or actually going to consider what people on a gambling forum suggest about your future?

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    You must have somewhat of a brain. Are you lonely or actually going to consider what people on a gambling forum suggest about your future?

well it is kerrywood/priskilla/bigten/etc.....so he's probably here just to ramble on about some stories of what his future holds.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

The bankers love guys like you so eager to rake up massive debt. Then when you graduate and don't get a job they throw penalties and hit you with the big interest rates which can't be rid of through bankruptcy. Soon your 150k loans turn into 300k and you will be fuked for the rest of your life.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

Go to school in Chicago for post-grad, no brainer. Far better networking opportunities in a big city - don't want to be couped up in a college town when you're older.

uup115
    uup115's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3146

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    do NOT, i repeat do NOT get into massive debt going to college if you can avoid it under any circumstance
    this can apply to everything in life...use investors in business not loans tied to you personally.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    I thought you previously had mentioned that you scored in the higher percentile on your tests, and that only gets you 5K off 40K a year?

I would not go there.

My LSAT was in the 98th percentile, but my low GPA hurts my offer.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Are you footing the bill? I'm guessing your parents are. If by some chance they are not you'll be 6 figures in debt by the time you finish college and paying off debt for the next 15 years. Are those tuition rates for in state or out of state students? There is a big difference at state schools. Smartest move is to bite bullet on tuition for 1 year and establish residence in IL to lower costs. Let's be honest though, if you are posting at a gambling forum in HS I think you are going to have major problems finishing school anyways.

I am out of undergrad, this is law school. My parents are footing the bill.

As for establishing residency in Illinois, I've already done the research and I would have to marry an Illinois resident. Which means my girlfriend would have to get a job in Illinois, wait a year, and then I'd have to marry her.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    Not lonely... but everyone I can talk to this about, parents, friends, girlfriend are all pushing me a way THEY want for somewhat selfish reasons.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    The bankers love guys like you so eager to rake up massive debt. Then when you graduate and don't get a job they throw penalties and hit you with the big interest rates which can't be rid of through bankruptcy. Soon your 150k loans turn into 300k and you will be fuked for the rest of your life.
    I have enough to pay 2 of my 3 years at Illinois saved in the bank.

I'd love to keep that money as a down payment on a home though, so that is why I"m considering Depaul/LUC/Northwestern... If I go to school in Chicago right now, then I would put a down payment on a place up there and then I'd be set.

But Illinois is a great school so I have to consider it.

presley177
    presley177's Avatar Become A Pro!

Illinois for law. Case closed.

(it's late.../early)

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    You can bet Emily has gone bankrupt several times to get out of paying legitimate debts.

Any entity crazy enough to lend that DEADBEAT money deserves to get stiffed. Someday our country will do what Spain does whereby filing for bankruptcy does NOT relieve you of your debts. IN addition, any bankruptcy filing should stay on one's record PERMANENTLY as lenders have the right to know if someone has ever filed for bankruptcy so they can accurately assess the risks involved.

PickWinnerAllDay, make sure you're 100% certain you want to be a lawyer. If so, then picking a quality school is vital. Best of luck.

Fieldysnuts44
    @poker table near you
    Fieldysnuts44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    "Isn't that much to do in Champaign"

There are co-eds. That's plenty to do in Champaign.

dxunchuk
    dxunchuk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 602

Quote Originally Posted by icemaster47 View Post

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by dxunchuk View Post
    Getting a good job as a lawyer is a bit more stingy. At a school like Harvard, 60-70% of the graduates end up at a top 250 law firm.

At a mediocre law school, only 5% or so will end up at a top 250 law firm.

uup115
    uup115's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3146

I am going to add...NEVER GET MARRIED...absolutely no reason to do it unless you hate money and freedom.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Pick...don't listen to these people like "Emily Haines"...they are people who didn't have the courage to go to law school themselves and merely lash out at those who do have the moxy to try and be successful and further educate themselves.

As someone who is in law school currently...go to Chicago. Law school for 90% of us students turns out to be "who you know" in terms of getting a job...it's the students who sit at home reading all day and night and don't get out and meet actual attorneys and graduate in the top 10 of their school that usually end up crying to career services about why they don't have a job, etc.

Chicago has the better networking opportunities, cheaper tuition, and at the end of the day your quality of work when you graduate will prove to be worth much more than the name on your diploma. No one will keep you around if your work-product isn't of high enough quality, no matter where you were in your class rank and no matter what school heads your diploma.

Go to Chicago and get out of the class room asap and meet attorneys and network...grades are important, but nothing is more important than "who you know" and how well you interview. BOL pal.

Last edited by infamousbacardi; 02-21-12 at 01:40 PM.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by infamousbacardi View Post
    Pick...don't listen to these people like "Emily Haines"...they are people who didn't have the courage to go to law school themselves and merely lash out at those who do have the moxy to try and be successful and further educate themselves.

As someone who is in law school currently...go to Chicago. Law school for 90% of us students turns out to be "who you know" in terms of getting a job...it's the students who sit at home reading all day and night and don't get out and meet actual attorneys and graduate in the top 10 of their school that usually end up crying to career services about why they don't have a job, etc.

Chicago has the better networking opportunities, cheaper tuition, and at the end of the day your quality of work when you graduate will prove to be worth much more than the name on your diploma. No one will keep you around if your work-product isn't of high enough quality, no matter where you were in your class rank and no matter what school heads your diploma.

Go to Chicago and get out of the class room asap and meet attorneys and network...grades are important, but nothing is more important than "who you know" and how well you interview. BOL pal.

Thanks for the advice. Best response so far! lol, but so you really don't think that firms in Chicago will look to hire Illinois graduates more than area schools in Chicago like Depaul or Loyola or Kent? I'm on hold at Northwestern or else it'd be an easy decision for me, hopefully they accept me in off their hold list.

I would love to live in Chicago, would make life a bit easier as far as getting a place and getting settled. I've heard that Loyola places just as good as Illinois if you finish near the top of your class, which I"m certain I can do if I apply myself... I'm a lazy asshole sometimes.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

The last thing you need to worry about is the size of the city and what there is to do to have fun. You're going to meet hundreds of new people and you'll find things to stay occupied and have a good time.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Best response so far! lol, but so you really don't think that firms in Chicago will look to hire Illinois graduates more than area schools in Chicago like Depaul or Loyola or Kent? I'm on hold at Northwestern or else it'd be an easy decision for me, hopefully they accept me in off their hold list. I would love to live in Chicago, would make life a bit easier as far as getting a place and getting settled. I've heard that Loyola places just as good as Illinois if you finish near the top of your class, which I"m certain I can do if I apply myself... I'm a lazy asshole sometimes.
    I don't think firms in Chicago would look to hire someone from UI more than anyone from Chicago really, this may certainly be the case after you graduate if a firm likes you and someone else perhaps a tie breaker could be school or something, but you will still get an interview probably and that's the entire name of the game. It's like making the playoffs in the NFL, you just have to make it, you just have to get that interview, and at that point it will be about how much you've done in law school, organizations you were members of and held cabinet positions in...any clinics you volunteered at while in school, and again, WHO YOU WORKED FOR while in school. A lot of law communities in cities are closer knit than you'd think. They know alot about eachother. Having 5 or 6 names of attorney's and/or law firms on your resume when you graduate helps not only with your experience but to get you interviews as well...besides, it will be easier to work for a firm in Chicago during semesters and network like crazy while school is in session. I can not overstate how important it is go out and meet attorneys and network and WORK in the legal field during law school.
    Last edited by infamousbacardi; 02-21-12 at 01:54 PM.

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by infamousbacardi View Post
    It's like making the playoffs in the NFL, you just have to make it, you just have to get that interview, and at that point it will be about how much you've done in law school, organizations you were members of and held cabinet positions in...any clinics you volunteered at while in school, and again, WHO YOU WORKED FOR while in school. A lot of law communities in cities are closer knit than you'd think. They know alot about eachother. Having 5 or 6 names of attorney's and/or law firms on your resume when you graduate helps not only with your experience but to get you interviews as well...besides, it will be easier to work for a firm in Chicago during semesters and network like crazy while school is in session. I can not overstate how important it is go out and meet attorneys and network and WORK in the legal field during law school.
    nail ... head ...

12 Last