ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Why go to school...

When there's google?

Literally no need to know much of anything anymore. Trades/hard science/math - everything else can be learnt with a few clicks of the button.

went to school for 7 years, got a shit ton of debt, a decent, not great, job - and I can learn everything I was taught from the interwebz.

Hell, I guarantee more than 90% of the degens on this site only know how to cap based on reading shit off the internet.

Fukk school, refuse to learn anything anymore, because when I need to know it - I'll just do a quick search.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Yes, Mr. Hiring Manager, my qualifications are right here in my Google search history.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

...Because a diploma get's you a job these days?

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10476

no need to if your smart enuff to keep the shovel outa your hands

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Its a scam. Not the education but the cost. You can rent all those books at the actual college for free and self educate yourself. Yet society tells you, you need that piece of paper to get the job. Most small business owners wnat experience first. if you can prove you have the skills and nohow to get the job done you can get any job a college graduate has.

As Matt Damon says in Good will hunting

" One of these days youll wake up 35 years old and realize you wasted 40,000 on a college education that you could of got for a $2 late fee at the libray".

UntilTheNDofTimE

How many successful entrepreneurs in the top 1% of America actually finished college? Most feel its a waste of time and opportunity cost.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    How many successful entrepreneurs in the top 1% of America actually finished college? Most feel its a waste of time and opportunity cost.
    The thing is entrepreneurs are not looking to get hired....they are out to start their own business.

Sure a college degree might not be that useful...a lot of people major in a particular subject and end up with a job that is not related...but the person got hired because they had a degree.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by Naz18 View Post
    The thing is entrepreneurs are not looking to get hired....they are out to start their own business. Sure a college degree might not be that useful...a lot of people major in a particular subject and end up with a job that is not related...but the person got hired because they had a degree.
    True but i think were pointing out the high cost of the educational system. This is where networking and knowing people is a plus. Just get your little 2 year degree in whatever field your looking to go into and soon after find a job in the field or grab a internship where your company will pay for you to further your education. That way you will graduate with less debt and have a foot in the door with a company already. People who go to school for 4-6 years and get a BA which is the new high school diploma are fools. Throw yourself into a pool with 100,000 other people with the exact same qualifications with no job experience and company's end up in a position to severely underpay you.

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

with no college degree, you end up working at pepsi driving a forklift... (cheap shot, i know...jk uteot) ...unless you know someone, your chances of getting a decent job with no college degree are slim...the cost sucks, but easily pays for itself in the first few years of your first real job... employers want someone who has put in the time and effort into getting a degree...

fwiw, i have never even thought to use google and ask how to cap a game...Iwin, take notes son...lolzz

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by raydog View Post
    with no college degree, you end up working at pepsi driving a forklift... (cheap shot, i know...jk uteot) ...unless you know someone, your chances of getting a decent job with no college degree are slim...the cost sucks, but easily pays for itself in the first few years of your first real job... employers want someone who has put in the time and effort into getting a degree... fwiw, i have never even thought to use google and ask how to cap a game...Iwin, take notes son...lolzz
    Ray dog its a shit job i know but i pulled 58,000 in a year uneducated at the age of 21. I know 20 people with college degrees that wish they made that. Im in school learning a trade that wont costs me 5% of the cost of a 4 year degree but will get me a job making 25-40 a hour. You have to do something outside of not going to school to succeed.

But if you notice ray i said nothing about college is a scam, i said the cost is. The educational paths are out there much cheaper than is offered through a university.
    Last edited by UntilTheNDofTimE; 02-10-12 at 03:04 AM.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Ray i also dont think you can pay off loans in a couple of years. If you get a great 3% rate on 40,000 paying $500 a month your still paying on that loan for 8 years. Education is getting more and more expensive where the average debt is 65,000 @ 5%. More like 15 years to pay off. The average college graduate is making around 40,000-50k a year right now. Hard to even come up with 500 when your bringing home $2500-3000 a month.

On the flip side you can work for Pepsi for those 4 years make 232k not have 65k in debt, and finish a secondary school and average the same wage as the average college graduate
    Last edited by UntilTheNDofTimE; 02-10-12 at 02:58 AM.