ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

Franny Goodrich: Fitness Author

WT#* ARE PERSONAL TRAINERS THINKING?! Sometimes I wonder if they're getting "Dumber", or more "Desperate". I just shake my head in disbelief...

In an effort to offer the "latest" or "cutting edged" exercises, someone in the fitness industry has had a serious brain cramp. The latest thing I see in gyms are Personal Trainers putting "average" people through workouts that involve some of the most unsafe and quite frankly the most idiotic exercise moves imaginable. Ladies doing dumbell curls standing on one leg, and Pot-bellied guys doing various weight exercises while trying to balance themselves in some way on a large exercise ball, are just some of the things I'm certain you're beginning to see in your own gym too.

I know what these Trainers - I'm using the term lightly - would say to defend themselves: "It mimics real-life movement", or "It improves balance". Sorry, I know what they're thinking, but they're wrong...it just doesn't work that way Without a loooong explanation, you don't become a better quarterback by throwing a 10lb football. You strengthen you entire musculature by performing resistance movements throw their "natural" range of motion. This strengthens the muscles used to throw a football. Then, you become a better quarterback by practicing the specific skills of that activity. In this case, throwing a football. I'm sure my buddies Chris Lutz or Dwayne Wimmer (credible fitness professionals) are thinking, "Duh...the S.A.I.D Principle or the law of Specificity applies here!" Ray Rabchuk may even go on a "Positive vs Negative transfer of skills related to like-movements" - RANT! But hey, DON'T GET These Guys STARTED!!

Maybe a few under-qualified Personal Trainers will read this, feel a bit clueless, and research better training protocols for their clients...gawd, I hope so!

ttwarrior1

The BULLSH*T TRAP - Don't Get Caught In It!
    I constantly hear people say"But, Franny, They're an "Expert!" Or "It "Must" Work – They've Sold Millions!" And I hear this too, "If it DOESN'T WORK, than WHY do so many people use it? I usually just shake my head an think, "Oh Brother!"

Here's a few "Who", "What" and "Why" things YOU should know:

The Fitness "Expert's" Credibility?
    Answer: Some "Experts" use their advanced degree to establish their credibility. They then cash-in commercially by introducing a "science" that only "they" have figured-out. Example: Mark Sisson "The Primal Diet". Some are simply a "media" creations based on their looks and marketability. Example: Jillian Michaels.

Does That Product on TV Really Work?
    Answer: Nobody SELLING it really cares. When marketing executives are considering products to pitch, they DO NOT care "The Product Works". The only criterion used to select an infomercial product: "Will People BUY it?" Example: "SENSA" and "Shake-Weight" (both are an absolute insult to your intelligence)

"Why" Do We Fall For It?
    Answer: The "Industry" knows that people "ALWAYS HAVE" and "ALWAYS WILL" - "PAY FOR A SHORT-CUT". The problem is, there aren't any.

What is the "BEST" and The "HARDEST" product to SELL?
    Unfortunately, the answer to both: The "TRUTH"

If you stop falling for bulls**t, and begin doing things the right way. If you do, don't be surprised if "weight-loss" and "exercise results" - suddenly happen.

ttwarrior1

EXERCISE "RESULTS" Should Be a LOT EASIER Than Most People Make It.
    Why Do People Spend Hours In The Gym, Weight-Training?
    Why Do People Spend Hours Plodding Along On A Treadmill?
    Answer: Mostly 'Cause They Don't Have A Clue.

Generally speaking, the "Goal" of exercise is to accomplish one-of-two things:
    1 - To Increase Muscle-Strength or Muscle-Mass.
    2 - To Increase Cardiovascular Fitness.

Some may be saying “NOT ME, My Goal is to LOSE FAT!” The fact is - as far as exercise is concerned - you must engage in either Cardiovascular-Exercise or Strength-Training to “Lose Fat”. FAT-LOSS is NOT a "type" of exercise.

"Real" Fat-loss results are much more a product of your eating-habits, anyway. The "best" Exercise Results though, are ALWAYS Achieved When Exercise is:
    Brief In Duration & Performed With A High-Level Of Intensity.
    Then, equally important, the muscles receive adequate time to recover (rest).
    The cycle is then repeated - IT'S REALLY A SIMPLE FORMULA.

My own personal pet-peeve is watching the aspiring Muscle-Heads in the gym, who in their obsession to GET HUGE, perform set-after-set, and waste hours and hours beating the hell out of their muscles. They don't realize that "MORE is NOT better". Actually - LESS is BEST!

THINK of it THIS WAY: Pretend your goal today is to find an Acorn.
    The strategy you choose is to simply open your front door, and then walk down the side of the road until you find one. So, "will you" find that Acorn?
    Answer: Yeah, eventually - but it may take you a while.
    Wouldn't it be smarter to open your front door, and then walk directly to the nearest Oak tree, and just pick-up an Acorn. Sounds like common-sense, right?
    The truth is, some people’s exercise-strategy is equally faulty. They attempt to get results by performing way more work than is necessary. Wasted time - Wasted effort - Often with little or no results. Hmmm?

Like I Said: "Exercise Results" Should Be A LOT EASIER Than Most People Make It.

ttwarrior1

Growing a Bit TIRED of Nasty Private Messages from "Beachbody". I am officially inviting their "Coaches" to get off my page. For the 1000th time here's my reply to a recent interview question - "Does P90X Really Work?" - And, I'm sticking to it.

P90X is very popular these days. Does it work? First, define "work." If you are talking about "sculpting your body," maybe, but probably not. Abs exercises do not give you washboard abs, and "Brazilian-Butt" moves do not re-shape your butt. I have a few posts on this page which illustrates this fact. And please don't get me started on the dangers of the average-Joe doing "Plyometrics". I'm sure they must provide a doosey of a "disclaimer" in their advertising to avoid "injury" lawsuits resulting from this joint-jarring exercise protocol. Anybody suggesting that housewife-types in the "a bit pudgy" category performing these-type move is a moron!

Tony Horton is the face of P90X. I am sure he's a swell guy. Nevertheless, "Muscle-Confusion" and "Stacking Exercises" are nothing more than "twists" on factual exercise science. Muscles do not get "confused" - Sorry. Furthermore, "Stacking" used to be called "super-sets" giant-sets", descended-sets, drop-sets, etc. Marketers just keep inventing and re-inventing words and old terminology. Why? They have to because if they didn't there would be no "new" shit to sell you each year. In my opinion, Tony Horton knows this. Therefore, it's NOT a stretch to conclude that he is purposely misleading TV viewers. Even worse would be, if he does not know this. If that's the case, then I would have to conclude that has no business calling himself an exercise expert.

Will P90X give you a good workout? Sure, if you "DO IT, and STICK WITH IT!...most people don't, or CAN'T. That said, putting on a pair of grey sweatpants and old beat up pair of sneakers and getting your ass moving - works too!

BOTTOM-LINE: P90X has created (in my opinion) more disappointed consumers, than sculpted bodies. Take it for what it's worth.

ttwarrior1

Often, the SOLUTION to NO WORKOUT PROGRESS is simply that you are failing to follow the most fundamental law of exercise: "Progressive Work-load". Or, better explained, your exercise session is similar to the movie - "GROUND HOG DAY" - The same exact workout, day after day after day....

Here's an example - You arrive at the gym, pull your workout sheet, and then, perform it to a tee, One set of THIS for 12 reps; One set of THAT for 12 reps...eventually, you complete the entire list of exercises. You then file away your workout sheet until next visit to the gym…sound familiar?

Using another scenario - You and a friend meet at the local walking trial and complete the 2.5-mile walk. You do this a couple times per week. Yes, you'll burn some calories, but, your "fitness level" will not improve past the initial gains you experienced when the exercise was a "new" activity...

HERE'S WHY: Whether you are training with weights, walking, or jogging for exercise. Your body's fitness level will only improve, IF you place a demand on it that challenges its' current capacity to perform work. In other words, The first time you ever performed a set of (say) "leg extensions", using 30lbs of weight, it was difficult to complete, so while in the recuperation phase, your body had an adaptive response to this work-load - It got stronger.
    The next time you performed the same exercise, if you performed the same exercise, using the same amount of weight, and for the same number of repetitions, it DID NOT challenge your body's capacity for work. You now are performing work (exercise) that was well within your body's capabilities - therefore, NO adaptive response needed - NO progress. This also applies to your cardio workout. If you walk 2.5 miles in 35 minutes, day-in and day-out, your body will adapt to this and eventually it will not improve your cardiovascular fitness level. YOU MUST challenge your body's current work-capacity, by (say) performing the same walk in a faster time, or by increasing the distance walked - one or the other.

So, the lesson learned is to constantly Challenge your body's current capacity to perform work. This is the KEY TO IMPROVEMENT in your EXERCISE EFFORTS.

ttwarrior1

In My Opinion - Here's The BEST of EVERYTHING That Matters:

The BEST MUSCLE BUILDING WORKOUT?
    Brief, infrequent, high-intensity weight-training workouts continue to be the most scientifically supported muscle-building strategy. It’s a hard pill for my muscle-head friends to swallow, but the 30-minute/one-set per-exercise training protocol simply makes the most sense, produces the best muscle-gains, and is the least likely to cause long-term, over-use joint injuries.

The BEST WEIGHT-LOSS WORKOUT?
    When “weight-loss” is one’s primary goal, the best exercise strategy often comes down to just “moving more.” It bears mentioning that effective weight-loss has more to do with eating-habits than any exercise routine. Brisk-walking sessions, more intense cardio-interval training, and even weight training, can all can play an effective role in a successful weight-loss strategy. However, if being over-weight is due to an overly sedentary lifestyle, the best weight-loss workout is to simply “find ways” to add more movement to your day.

The BEST DIET STRATEGY?
    “Portion Control” will always be the most practical and most sensible dieting strategy. It’s probably not, “what” you eat that has you packing on the pounds, but instead, “how much” you eat. Learn to eat “any” food in sensible amounts and you won’t have to give up bacon or hot fudge sundaes. Portion Control makes weight-loss a breeze. Stop torturing yourself with overly restrictive n’ dumb diets.

The BEST OVERALL “BODY MAKEOVER” STRATEGY?
    “Smart Exercise and Sensible Eating” (See above) - Ta-dah! Yes, it is just that simple, but few people actually use this strategy, mostly because their too lazy and too busy looking for a short cut. This is the reason the weight-loss and fitness industry is a multi-billion dollar business. There’s a “sucker” born every minute. In 2012, don't YOU be one.

The BEST PERSONAL TRAINERS and PEOPLE THAT "GET IT!"
    Sadly, over the years I haven’t observed many who know-what-the-hell they’re talking about. Being an effective Personal Trainer has little to do with having a big set of biceps, a pretty face, or being a fast-talking sales freak. That said, there are a few I’ve met, who “get it” and can guide you through effective, safe, and results-producing exercise-sessions. If any happen to conduct business in your area, look them up: Dwayne Wimmer Ray Rabchuk Kini Kim, Erik McKay David Halloran, James Biddle, Paul Wylie, Elizabeth Martinez, Benny "TheBoss" Benny TheBoss Costantino Kelly Peters McCauley Roseanne Nichols, Emma Bass Pt Chris Lutz, Chris Justice, Paolo Mari, Brian Collins, Kathy Mosca DePalmenary Jennifer Ritchie Payette, Brian Cassidy, Chris Robinson,Scotty Riggin, Carol Edwards Bernardi, Tami Johnson Provost, Paul Vin Petrol Marsland, James Wirth, James Biddle, Rebecca Fantasia D'Onofrio,

The BEST COMMERCIAL DIETING PLAN? Again, I don't feel they are necessary, but if I had to choose one, I would conclude that "Weight-Watchers" makes the most sense. The eating program is nutritionally sound, the least restrictive, relatively inexpensive, and the "support meetings" work for many folks.

The BEST SPORTS SUPPLEMENT? Uhg, do I really have to? I would rather say they ALL suck, 'cause they mostly do nothing. However, if I had to choose, "Creatine" actually has some scientific evidence backing its effectiveness. That said, it should hardly be expected to work magic. The theoretical improvement on short burst of energy-output is only incremental. It will NOT add 50 lbs. to your bench press or 30 lbs. of muscle to your physique. Stop dreaming!

The BEST GYM TO JOIN? This is a bit tricky, but in my opinion and experience I’d give this advice: If you are an “experienced” workout enthusiast - needing NO instruction or guidance, and are not likely to succumb to high-pressure sales tactics on supplements and useless, mostly under-qualified Personal Trainers, I’d have to say that the “big box" chain gyms are hard to beat. For about $10/month you often get hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of the best exercise equipment money can buy, and plenty of it. Additionally, these-type clubs are often open 24/7. If you are more of a “novice” or workout beginner, you may find your locally own neighborhood gym more suitable. The reason: The owner is usually on-hand and customer service can be much better and more personal. You can usually get some free workout advice regarding the "basics" of exercise from the owner, gym-manager, or what is generally a friendlier clientele-base. The one caveat; there "are" exceptions to EVERYTHING I just said. Trust your gut whenever you "checkout" a new gym – because it's usually correct. If Personal Training is something you're interested in, check-out the list above. If any of these Trainers are conducting business in your area...See THEM FIRST.

The BEST source of WEIGHT-LOSS AND EXERCISE INFORMATION?
    LOL - Why it's the incredibly informative and unbiased book, “DIET, EXERCISE, & WEIGHT-LOSS BULLSHiT-EXPOSED!” By Franny Goodrich, of course;-)

Good Luck Everyone,
    Franny Goodrich

ttwarrior1

There Are OTHER Reasons WHY High Intensity Training (aka HIT) makes the most sense. Yesterday, I saw a Personal Trainer explaining GENETICS to a muscle-head in the gym. He was doing fine, until the muscle-head asked this question:

“If strength training or muscle building “results” are determined MOSTLY by my own pre-determined “genetic” factors, and to a much LESSER extent what actual training protocol I use, then who cares how many sets or days-in-a-row I train – If I have good genetics, I’ll get huge no matter what, and if I do not have good genetics, then HIT isn’t gonna do sh*t for me anyway, right?”

That was a great question! It was obvious to me that the Trainer didn’t have the proper response because he just said, “Whatever!”…and walked away.

By now, most informed fitness professionals know that high intensity training (HIT) is the most scientifically-supported training method purely for its ability to produce “results”. Therefore, there’s no sense beating that subject to death. But, perhaps the BEST REASON to engage in HIT has NOTHING to do with how quickly it produces results. The more you know, the more obvious it becomes that the greatest benefits of high intensity training (HIT) is what it DOES NOT Do...

HIT is the most TIME-EFFICIENT. Therefore, it DOES NOT take up much of your time. Why spend 1-2 hours in the gym, when you can get the same or better results approximately one-fourth the time? No Brainer.

HIT is the SAFEST. Although strenuous, because it is performed in a slow-controlled manner, there is virtually no risk of muscle, tendon, ligament, or joint injury, due to ballistic, joint-jarring movements. Again, a No Brainer.

HIT is the most FORGIVING. Knuckleheads, who perform countless sets - five, six, or even seven days per-week, should ask anybody who has spent their lives performing manual labor, just what it does to their bodies later in life. It beats the hell out of their joints – they simply wear out. Arthritic-type issues later in life are almost a certainty. This is exactly where the average high-volume weight training enthusiast is headed. Once again, a No Brainer.

Bottom-line: The answer to the question should have been, “Yes, you are correct, your genetics “will” largely determine your body’s response to training, and therefore, your end results. But, whatever results you are destined to achieve, wouldn’t it make the “most” sense to achieve them in the “shortest” time possible, with the “least chance” of injury, and with the “smallest amount” of wear n’ tear on your body?” HIT is and always will be, a No Brainer.

Franny Goodrich

ttwarrior1

What About CROSSFIT? I Don't Know, is "Beating The Sh*t Out Of Your Body" Really a Smart Training Method? Hmm?
    I get it - CrossFit is all the rage these days. Hell, I watched a few of the "training videos", and I was ready to smash in the heads of a few Taliban Commandos, myself.

However, when my nephew Dalton Goodrich (a teenage athlete) wrote to me yesterday excited that he was "signing up", I decided to investigate further. I think it may be time for him (and others) to pump-the-brakes a bit before deciding on CrossFit as your day-in and day-out workout of choice. Is CrossFit a good thing? I guess one must first "define" good thing.

My 1st thought: If you're doing it to compete at it, or improve your specific ability to perform specific "CrossFit" movements - Sure. CrossFit becomes your "sport" of choice. But, DO NOT make it your "training-method" of choice if you're doing it for ANY other reason!!

My 2nd thought: For those doing it regularly, even if they're "lovin it"...I wonder how their joints, ligaments, and muscles will feel about it in a few years from now. The bone-jarring, ballistic movements are not unlike sports like football and soccer. Ask someone who's made a career at those sports, how middle-age is treating them? Most can hardly walk normally, never-mind getting out of bed in the morning. I myself, in my track n' field days, lived on a steady diet of plyometrics, depth-jumping, and jump-squats. I shudder to think what my body would look like today if I continued to train this way to-date.

My 3rd thought: I remember an old adage - "Do NOT Play Sports to Get in Shape - Get IN SHAPE to Play Sports." An effective strength-building workout should consist of slow controlled movements, not regularly ballistic and joint-jarring. We train this way to prepare our body "for" the joint-jarring activities involved in sports.

Bottom-line: Training is supposed to "strengthens" our body. And "Sports" beats the crap out of it. That's NOT a bad or a good thing - for competitive athletes it's simply the cost of doing business.

I am NOT "hating" on CrossFit. It what it is. In a new world of "EXTREME" everything. It appeals to a bad-ass, testosterone-driven, machismo that exists in many of us (ladies too). Can you increase your fitness level doing it? ABSOLUTELY!...
    But at what cost?

ttwarrior1

MY DISCUSSION with Emma Bass Pt, Regarding "HIT" (High Intensity Training).

My friend Emma Bass Pt is one of the United Kingdom's top Personal Trainers. She gets a little frustrated (okay, a LOT) when people knock “HIT” (High Intensity Training), yet do not understand it. She hears people say; “High intensity...oh you mean heavy?” - Or, “HIT is not good for females right...they’ll get big muscles this way!”

Emma and I recently had a great discussion about it.
    So I decided to share it. Here’s a few things we discussed:

High Intensity does not automatically mean “heavy” weight. Actually, the amount of weight you train-with should not be anywhere near, the amount of weight you can lift for a one-rep max. While I’m on the subject, a “one-rep-max” or even a 2, 3, or 4 rep-max has absolutely no value in proper strength training protocol. This “truth” is hard to swallow for most gym dudes who love to load-up the bar with way too many 45 lb. plates, and then perform 1-2 reps as their equally idiotic training partner screams encouragement. As for those 2-hour iron-pumping sessions that are excessively common with these same iron-head-types, it’s just another indication to informed observers, that there’s a couple idiots in the gym again. To train with maximum intensity, your workouts “have” to be brief - simply because high-intensity and long-duration (time) cannot co-exist. If the intensity is very high, the duration or length of your workout must be low.

Imagine if I asked you to run 100-Meters as fast as you could. When I said, “go” you’d take-off at top speed, right? Now imagine if I asked you to run one mile as fast as you could. Can you run the mile at the same all-out pace you used in 100-yard dash? Of course not. Since the distance of your run increased, the intensity had to decrease. No human being on earth can sprint all-out for a mile. Likewise, no human being on earth can lift weights with maximum intensity for 2-hours. You can either train hard, or train for hours - but NOT both.

Women getting “BIG?” The “Truth” that most muscle-pumping Gym-goers don’t want to hear is this: Hell, 99.999% of the estimated world-population of “men” DO NOT possess the genetic factors to get as big as the muscle-freaks on magazine covers. What genetic factors? For starters, World-class bodybuilders are generally Mesomorph Prototypes. Body-type, muscle-fiber type, inherent muscle-shape, muscle-belly cross-widths, and natural testosterone-levels, are just a few things that separate "them" from the rest of us.A women’s genetics for potential muscle-growth is 100X worst than a man’s. So women, once and for all, need to STOP worrying about getting “too big”.

Emma and I laugh when we hear people say, “I could look like the guys in the magazines if I took steroids like they do!” The truth is, NO YOU COULD NOT! The freaks you see in muscle-mags have both, the favorable genetics (i.e., Prototype Mesomorph Physiques), “and” they take steroids. Both are crucially important and necessary if you want to one-day grace the Olympia stage.

HERE'S OUR REAL POINT: If you really want the BEST training routine, doesn’t it make sense to choose the “training protocol” that is the, MOST SCIENTIFICALLY BASED, the MOST PRODUCTIVE, and THE MOST TIME-EFFICIENT. OMG, it’s a NO-BRAINER!!

BOTTOM-LINE: Will EMMA change the minds of the EVERY guy n’ girl working out in the gym? Probably not. Will EMMA change the minds of the gym-goers who religiously follow every new training routine that is splashed across the cover of this month’s Muscle Mag? Probably not…But, as SHE ALWAYS SAYS, "HIT is your best chance of getting as STRONG as you can, in the SHORTEST AMOUNT of TIME. Who could possibly NOT want that? Only the “Uninformed”...and there’s plenty out there".

ttwarrior1

I'll Take "Things IDIOTS Say" for $200 Please, Alex...
    “SHE CAN EAT ANYTHING SHE WANTS, 'CAUSE SHE WORKS-OUT”.
    Sorry, WRONG ANSWER! "Exercise" will NEVER cancel out "Stuffing Your Face!"...No matter how much exercise you do.

Here's a perfect example: Let's say you had the physical ability to run for 24-hours straight without stopping. While on this 24-hour run, you fueled your body with (say) bananas. It takes about 3-minutes to eat a small banana...So, for 24-hours, you're constantly running and eating low-fat/low-calorie bananas...

Question: Does the constant supply of bananas provide enough calories/energy to fuel your body to run non-stop for 24-hours? Not only is the answer “yes”, the truth is, you would GAIN 12.34 lbs. of fat (do the math).

I would hate to see anyone - with good intentions - joining a gym, or beginning an exercise-routine, and subsequently spinning their wheels - making no progress, all because they haven't given "food-intake" its proper priority.

Again, "Exercise will NEVER cancel-out stuffing your face"....no matter HOW MUCH you exercise.

ttwarrior1

tt's been telling people all this shit for year, maybe people will listen to franny

THE "SECRET" THAT MAKES WOMEN SMILE!

What's your "BMI?" (Body-Mass Index)

What’s your "Body-Fat Percentage?"

How Much Do You “Weigh?"

I SAY, WHO CARES!!! YOU SHOULDN’T EITHER.

While some are using "fat-calipers" to measure skin-fold thickness, or calculating their "BMI" (body mass index), or stepping on their bathroom scale every time they pass by it - I tell women this: Do NOT concern yourself with BMI, skin-fold thickness, or taking your body measurements. There's a better, simpler, and more gratifying method of tracking your progress that will really keep you motivated. Go into your closet and take out the tightest pair of jean you own - even if they are two sizes small. Slip them on - I mean really squeeze into them best you can. Even if (for now) they will not go past your upper thighs.
    If you are following the advice in my posts - I promise you, each week you put them on, they will fit noticeably better and better. In about 6-8 weeks, there is a great chance they will slide right one. You really CAN shed body-fat fat that quickly if you stop falling for fad-diets and exercise gimmicks.

The "TIGHT JEANS -TEST" method of keeping track of your progress KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED, BECAUSE IT'S SOMETHING YOU CAN GENUINELY RELATE TO.
    I have NEVER seen a woman get excited because she's told their BMI is "24", or because she lost 3 inches according to a "fat caliper”…But, when a woman slides comfortably into a pair of jeans that didn't fit a month ago - BIG SMILE!

ttwarrior1

Question: "Franny, Is ONE SET Really Enough?"
    Answer: "Yes. You Either "Trip" the Switch, or You Do Not".

My Muscle-Head friends never learn; 3-sets-of-this, 5-sets-of-that, 1-2 hour workouts - I see it all the time. When I ask them “why” they do so many sets, or train for two-hours, their answer usually has something to do with “training hard”.
    What they don’t understand is that training hard (intensity) and training long (time) can NOT be done at the same time. It’s one or the other. And, if you had to pick one, it should be “intensity”. That’s “if” getting as strong as possible in the shortest time possible, is your goal - for most, it is.

Think of it this way; if I said you had to run a 100-yard dash as fast as you possibly could, you’d take-off at full-speed when I said “go!” On the other hand, if I said to you, you had to run 5-miles as fast as you possibly could, when I said “go!” you’d take-off at a much slower pace. Why?
    It’s because your own body “intuitively” knows that it must pace itself at a “less” intense pace, in order to finish. You can run fast for a short time, but not a long time. Weight training sessions that last for an hour or longer, simply can NOT be the intense “all-out” efforts needed for optimum training results (Do not confuse this with “amount” of weight lifted; that’s another discussion).

In a nutshell, our muscles grow or become stronger in response to our training’s intensity. If our exercise intensity-level challenges our muscle’s current strength-capacity, an adaptive response will take place within the muscle. Simply put, the body, through a number of metabolic processes, replenishes and repairs itself and becomes stronger (an approximate 48-96 hour cycle).

The important thing to know, and the “most” compelling argument in-favor of the one-set training protocol is the fact that the "adaptive" response happens within a muscle in a precise moment. Your intensity-of-effort either "trips" the adaptive response "switch" (like a light switch), or it does not. Once it trips, you cannot trip it again and again in the same exercise session. Any sets performed beyond this point are merely meaningless manual labor. Furthermore, the extra sets will actually lengthen the muscles recuperation time - you know it as over-training - sound familiar?

Not only does credible exercise-science support the one-set training protocol, but most of today’s informed weight-training professionals no longer recommend multiple-set training protocols to their clients. These days, many productive weight training sessions last only 20-40 minutes. This is hard for some to wrap their heads around. I thought of this the last time I saw my friend dwayne wimmer (An outstanding Trainer) almost lose his mind because one of his new clients couldn't grasp the reason why a training session didn't last a "full" hour.

That said, do I think this will change the minds of my muscle-head buddies? Not a chance - lol.

ttwarrior1

Who Fools Us…What They SELL…WHY We BUY it?
    "But, Franny, They're an "Expert!"
    "It "Must" Work – They've Sold Millions!"
    "If it DOESN'T WORK, than WHY do so many people use it?

The "Expert's" Credibility?
    Answer: Some "Experts" use their advanced degree to establish their credibility. They then cash-in commercially by introducing a "science" that only "they" have figured-out. Example: Mark Sisson "The Primal Diet". Some are simply a "media" creations based on their looks and marketability. Example: Jillian Michaels.

Does The Product Work?
    Answer: Nobody SELLING it really cares. When marketing executives are considering products to pitch, they DO NOT care "The Product Works". The only criterion used to select an infomercial product: "Will People BUY it?" Example: "SENSA" and "Shake-Weight" (both are an absolute insult to your intelligence)

"Why" Do We Fall For It?
    Answer: The "Industry" knows that people "ALWAYS HAVE" and "ALWAYS WILL" - "PAY FOR A SHORT-CUT". The problem is, there aren't any.

What is the "BEST" and The "HARDEST" product to SELL?
    Unfortunately, the answer to both: The "TRUTH"

If you stop falling for bulls**t, and begin doing things the right way; Don't be surprised if "weight-loss" and "exercise results" - suddenly happen.

ttwarrior1

Sometimes, Even the BEST Diet, Exercise, or Weight-loss Advice, Will NOT Work. Why? (Point that finger straight into a mirror)

Is the problem, "YOU?" Most people have already "read or heard" the BEST diet, exercise and weight-loss advice available - they just DON’T FOLLOW IT! Instead, many people continue to think that weight-loss would be easy if only someone would give them the “right” diet, or the “right” workout. Fitness Marketers know how stupid we can be, and make billions SELLING "Quick-Solutions". Only problem is, they're usually full of sh*t.
    Hell my fat friend Chris Robinson knows more about weightloss then 99.9 percent of all pro bodybuilders. The lucky few that will listen to him will see the best results ever. Chris if your reading this, quit eating those doritos man.
    WHY DO WE AVOID THE TRUTH?
    For most, it's probably because "productive exercise" our makes our muscles "burn"...Ouch! And, even the most well-thought-out "reduced-calorie eating", even if done correctly, will sometimes leave you feeling a bit hungry - Booooo!
    Lastly, if you think you can do it with “exercise” alone - you’re wrong. Exercise can NOT cancel-out stuffing your face. My point is that we like to avoid anything uncomfortable, and are willing to waste money trying to buy; "EASY" and "EFFORTLESS"...Sorry, the jokes on YOU.

Do I "really" need to explain Eating, Exercise, Fat-loss, or Exercise-intensity, one more time. Gawwd, I hope not!

Maybe it’s just time to re-visit what I am sure you ALREADY know - and then, START DOING IT!!!

These 5-things are the ANSWER to "almost" EVERYTHING.

1 - THE GOLDEN RULE: Weight-loss is and always will be an "energy-equation". Calories-in vs. calories-out -period. “Low-carbs”, “all-natural-foods”, “low-fat”, “macro-ratios”, etc., is purely semantics. NOTHING trumps the Golden Rule.

2 - WHAT’S THE BEST EATING STRATEGY? “Portion-Control” is and always be the best dieting-strategy going. It's the least restrictive and you're most likely to be able to stick with it. It’s usually not “what” you eat, it’s how-much and how often.

3 - WHICH DIET WORKS BEST? The truth is - “ANY” reasonably healthy diet will work as long as it reduces overall calorie consumption. If a diet is working, no matter what it is, it’s ONLY because it reduced your overall caloric intake…no other reason.

4 - HOW MUCH EXERCISE? You probably need less than you’ve been told. 30-min sessions, 3-Times per-week of high-intensity resistance-training if you want to build muscle, add shapeliness to your body (ladies), or stave-off bone and muscle-loss due to aging or sedentary life-style. As far as “cardio” is concerned - again, “less” can be more - use higher intensity intervals instead of plodding-along, reading a magazine while you’re on the treadmill. You’ll get MORE out of it and save tons of time. If you’re obese, simply begin by finding ways to MOVE more, and more often.

5 - WHAT WEIGHT-LOSS SUPPLEMENT WORKS BEST? Listen, isn’t it possible that “this” thinking-process is “what” got you in this mess in the first place. This only proves that you are trying to AVOID #’s 1, 2, 3 and 4. Don’t!

I hope this will help you to finally GET STARTED, and begin doing things the RIGHT WAY. Good luck...let me know how you're doing.

ttwarrior1

Pre-Workout “Warming-up” and “Stretching’” is NOT NECESSARY...No Mater What “They” Tell You.
    Let me be more specific: Weight training, when performed properly, does not necessitate much of a warm-up - if any at all.
    Why? Because unlike activities, like sports, which require explosive bursts of effort, proper weight training involves slower, sub-maximal and controlled muscular effort. These same repetitions, performed and leading up to muscular failure “are” the warm-up.
    It gets a bit tricky here, but you may be inclined to ask, “Yeah, but doesn’t muscular-failure involves an all-out muscle contraction...won’t I get injured without a warm-up?”
    The answer is NO. That’s because by the time you’ve reached muscular failure, the preceding repetitions leading up to it caused the working muscle to become fatigued. This makes the last repetition feel like a violent all-out contraction, but it really is not one at all. (I can see that my next post needs to be about muscular “in-roading”).
    Lastly, as far as “stretching” in concerned: First, we all know by now that stretching a “cold” muscle doesn’t make much sense anyway. In addition, stretching, even if warmed-up, as a method of better preparing the body to engage in a weight trainimng session, doesn’t make much sense either. It’s simply NOT necessary.
    Bottom-line: If for psychological reasons more than physiological necessity, you feel better by performing a brief warm-up...no harm...no biggie. However 30 minute warmups on the treadmill are merely sapping your weight training energy supply.

"IF" your Personal Trainer puts you on a treadmill for 30 minutes before your training session. He or She is wasting your time, and money.

One note: Yes, Power-lifters DO need warmup sets. Without a lengthy explanation, it’s simply because it’s an entirely different activity, involving training variables not applicable to weight “training”.

ttwarrior1

The Hot Fudge Sundae & Big Mac Diet - Yes, It Works!
    If you’re a person - like many - who’s daily diet consists of Chicken Caesar Salads, Tuna Wraps, handfuls of Mixed Nuts or Raisins, then you should also know that these - so called - diet foods, are loaded with calories!

I have said many times, it’s NOT any particular food that makes you fat, it’s the excess calories - regardless of the food-source. You can get just as FAT eating too much lean white chicken, as you can eating too much ice cream n’ hot fudge. Conversely, you can get just as LEAN eating the right amount of chocolate-chip cookies, as you can by eating the right amount of fruits n’ vegetables.

HERE’S PROOF! At first glance, would you EVER imagine that you could LOSE WEIGHT on this diet?

Breakfast
    1 Small Hot Fudge Sundae -284 calories
    1 Small Coffee with Milk and Sugar - 80 calories
    Total - 364 calories

Lunch
    1 Big Mac - Sandwich - 540 calories
    1 Small Diet Coke - 0 calories
    Total - 540 calories

Dinner
    1 Serving Kraft Macaroni & Cheese - 210 Calories
    1 Fudgsicle - 100 calories
    1 cup Grape Kool-Aid - 60 calories
    Total - 370

Late-night Snack
    2 Chocolate Chip Cookies - 260 calories
    Small glass Whole Milk - 150 calories
    Total - 410

TOTAL 1,684 calories (Not many, huh?)
    MOST PEOPLE WOULD LOSE WEIGHT LIKE CRAZY ON THIS DIET!

Obviously, I would never advocate eating this way on a regular basis, however, it illustrates my point that “excess” calories makes us fat, and NOT any particular types of food. No matter what you choose to eat on a daily basis, PORTION CONTROL is the BEST diet-advice there is. NO Foods are “off-limits”…

Eat Drink and be Merry!
    ~Franny

Yeh i know mods, probaly going in saloon,

ttwarrior1

Sorry, But "LONG DISTANCE JOGGING IS DUMB!"
    Unless you are a competitive "Long-distance Runner", adopting a training protocol that has you plodding along mile-after-mile, day-after-day, makes little sense. This form of exercise has been long-abandoned by most top athletes of the world. It robs the body of lean tissue (emaciated-runner syndrome) and has long-term repetitive-use-injury ramification (I.e. it pounds the hell out of knee and ankle joints). Today's smart athletes engage in more efficient and productive "interval-type" training. Heck, even marathon runners do not log the excessive training miles that were customary in the 70's and 80's. If you are NOT a competitive runner, and have simply chosen "jogging" as your exercise choice, that's fine. My advice would be to "not" exceed 2-miles or so as your fitness-level increases, but instead, work to cover the 1-2 miles faster. Try mixing-in varied paced running; run hard, run slow down, sprint up a short hill, walk a bit, run hard again, etc.. It's called "FARTLEK" Training (There's a great "google" word for you).

If you do this, not only will you shed fat sooner and become fitter faster, but your joints will thank you 20 years from now.

ttwarrior1

Question: “Franny, To Get Bigger Muscles, I Gotta Train HEAVY, Right?” Answer: “NO! - I Said Train Intensely, Not HEAVY!” Grrrr...

WHY on earth do my muscle-head friends STILL get this WRONG!

High Intensity does not automatically mean “heavy” weight. Actually, the amount of weight you train-with should not be anywhere near, the amount of weight you can lift for a one-rep max. While I’m on the subject, a “one-rep-max” or even a 2, 3, or 4 rep-max has absolutely no value in proper strength training protocol. This “truth” is hard to swallow for most gym dudes who love to load-up the bar with way too many 45 lb. plates, and then perform 1-2 reps as their equally idiotic training partner screams encouragement.
    As for those 2-hour iron-pumping sessions that are excessively common with these same iron-head-types, it’s just another indication to informed observers, that there’s a couple idiots in the gym again. To train with maximum intensity, your workouts “have” to be brief - simply because high-intensity and long-duration (time) cannot co-exist. If the intensity is very high, the duration or length of your workout must be low. Imagine if I asked you to run 100-yards as fast as you could. When I said, “go” you’d take-off at top speed, right. Now imagine if I asked you to run one mile as fast as you could. Can you run the mile at the same all-out pace you used in 100-yard dash? Of course not. Since the distance of your run increased, the intensity had to decrease. No human being on earth can sprint all-out for a mile. Likewise, no human being on earth can lift weights with maximum intensity for 2-hours. You can either train hard, or train for hours - but NOT both.

Last bit of training advice: DO NOT “pace yourself” in the gym. Keep your intensity high and your workouts brief. Use strict form with no momentum; perform each set to a point of momentary-muscular-failure, meaning you can’t possibly perform another rep. If you do this correctly, you won’t possibly have the energy to train for hours - which makes no sense anyway.

Oh yeah, one caution: Don’t get TOO HUGE!

ttwarrior1

Question: "Regarding P90X, I have heard of people trying this and getting great results. I am thinking about trying it too. Your thoughts? Do you agree with the muscle confusion concept? Thanks, "Jenn"

Answer: As with most "Question and Answer Sessions", I often find myself constantly circling-back to a few basic principles which govern or explain "everything" to do with eating, exercise, losing weight, or becoming more fit.

P90X is very popular these days. Does it work? First, define "work." If you are talking about "sculpting your body," maybe, but probably not. Abs exercises do not give you washboard abs, and "Brazilian-Butt" moves do not re-shape your butt. I have a few posts on this page which illustrates this fact. And please don't get me started on the dangers of the average-Joe doing "Plyometrics". I'm sure they must provide a doosey of a "disclaimer" in their advertising to avoid "injury" lawsuits resulting from this joint-jarring exercise protocol. Anybody suggesting that housewife-types in the "a bit pudgy" category performing these-type move is a moron!

Tony Horton is the face of P90X. I am sure he's a swell guy. Nevertheless, "Muscle-Confusion" and "Stacking Exercises" are nothing more than "twists" on factual exercise science. Muscles do not get "confused" - Sorry. Furthermore, "Stacking" used to be called "super-sets" giant-sets", descended-sets, drop-sets, etc. Marketers just keep inventing and re-inventing words and old terminology. Why? They have to because if they didn't there would be no "new sh*t" to sell you each year. In my opinion, Tony Horton knows this. Therefore, it's NOT a stretch to conclude that he is purposely misleading TV viewers. Even worse would be, if he does not know this. If that's the case, I would have to conclude that has no business calling himself an exercise expert.

Here's my bottom-line regarding P90X: Will it give you a good workout? Sure, if you "do it" and stick with it - most people don't.
    That said, putting on a pair of grey sweatpants and old pair of sneakers and getting your ass moving - works too! P90X has created (in my opinion) more disappointed consumers, than sculpted bodies. Take it for what it's worth.

ps: yes i got permission to post all this

ttwarrior1

YOU MUST BE "NUTS!"...'Cause I've explained it a-thousand times: "Why" those crunches, sit-ups, trunk curls, planks, and other redundant Abs exercises you are performing; WON'T WORK!

Here's a fact: Nobody, nobody, nobody, has flabby Abs.

Why?
    Muscles are never flabby! Only FLAB is flabby! In other words, a flabby gut means you've got too much fat covering your abdominal wall. The underlying Ab muscles are just fine. You actually do many things to keep them strong without even knowing it. Your Abs and Core muscles are actually at work for most of your waking day. Walking, bending, twisting, and even sitting keeps them continuously contracting in-concert. Additionally, activities such as; forceful breathing when working out, or when your body braces itself during any overhead lifting movement, or pulls down a Lat bar, or performs a seated row, etc, all involve forceful isometric contractions of all abdominal muscles.

There is not a single exercise on this earth that will ever get rid of belly fat. The fat on your body is more about calorie-intake than about what type of exercises you do. So, should you "work" your Abs? Sure. Strong Abs helps reduce low-back stress, improve posture, etc. However, you should work your Abs as you would any other muscle, with brief and intense resistance exercise - period.

Whenever I see a person in the gym doing countless side-bends and twisting-type movements to "trim" their waist, I think to myself, "What an idiot!" For the last time; You cannot "trim" a muscle! If anything, the muscles of the Abdominal area will grow (slightly) when trained - meaning they actually increase the measurement of your waistline. Don't worry, without boring you with a lengthy physiological explanation regarding muscle-tendon length ratio, cross-section width of muscle-bellies, etc. Just know that the Abs and trunk muscles do not possess the physiological factors to experience much growth when strenuously worked - much like facial muscles that DO NOT grow when we chew and chew on a piece of steak until our jaw aches.

So, What's The Solution?
    If you want a fantastic set of wash-board Abs, or a six-pack as they call it, you must reduce your calorie-intake, increase your activity-level, or both. The golden-rule, and the bottom-line regarding fat-loss "is" and "always will be", to tip the "energy-equation scale" in your favor. Yes, it really does come down to CALORIES-IN vs CALORIES-OUT. I wish I had a sexier answer for you; I don't.

Which "Abs" exercise is best? Don't over-think it, simply select your favorite abdominal curl exercise, and then have at it. One brief high-intensity set is all that is needed. (notice "set" is NOT plural). Forget the notion that you need to do multiple sets of high repetition sit-ups or crunches; that's just plain dumb.

One last thing: When doing abdominal work, your frontal abs has a range of movement of about 4 inches. The remainder of the movement involves mostly hip-flexor muscles. So your crunch-movement should have a very small range of motion. Also, be sure to keep the tension continuously on the abdominal muscles. Most people allow momentum to move their body during an Abs exercise, like a swinging pendulum which is counter-productive.

Anybody that can do over 50 abdominal crunches is either doing them incorrectly or needs to add resistance to the movement.

Share this with friends - Because YOU are now an "Abs Expert!"

ttwarrior1

FREE WEIGHTS" VS. "MACHINES"? Brains vs. Brawn, and Idiots vs. Morons. Decide For Yourself, But Get The Facts First.

It's one of of the most hotly-debated topics in gyms, everywhere. Free-weights vs. Machines. Although both have inherent advantages over the other, and both can provide a safe and effective workout, the one myth that needs to be put to rest once and for all, is that free-weights are best for putting-on “size”, while machines are more suited for “toning”. When people tell you this - and many still believe it - it's a clear indication that they are clueless. Muscles themselves are dumb, they don’t know the difference between 50 lbs. of iron or 50 lbs. of feathers. They simply respond to imposed demand. And by the way, the don't get confused either..."muscle confusion" is just another stupid concept that has no physiological validity.

One of the advantages that today’s exercise "machines" have over free-weights, is allowing resistance to be applied to a working-muscle through its entire range-of-motion. The best example being the “Pec-dec” (Chest Fly machine) vs. Chest-flies performed with two-dumbbells. In addition, machines have an advantage for being more time-efficient (pin-selection vs. unloading plates). Lastly, by design machines tend to be much safer, mostly because a weight-stack usually travels on a fixed-plane of movement and rarely requires the use of a “spotter”, to lift the weight off of you should you get "stuck" under it.

My “Free-weight” friends would probably counter-argue that because it takes more “balance” and uses additional "assisting" muscle-groups to bench-press a free-weight barbell, free weights are better. The truth is they are sort of correct. In the case of bench-pressing, the shoulder muscles must contract as stabilizers to keep the arms from flailing-about as the primary-muscles – the chest, frontal-delts, and triceps – perform the movement. It also takes many more muscle groups to balance and stabilize the body during a barbell squat, as opposed to a leg-press machine. That said, to say freeweights "win" the argument, I say "Not so fast"...read on...

Where the debate gets really tricky, is when it is argued that free weights, because of the “balance” factor, is better when training for “Sports”. This is not true, yet is widely believed. The skill of a weight training exercise is NOT transferable to sports-movements. To get the science-jargon explanation, it may be in your interest to google the "S.A.I.D. Principle" or "Law of Specificity", regarding skill development. (It's more boring science-talk, if that's your thing).

All things considered, me personally? I give the advantage to machines over free-weights. Although both have their inherent advantages and disadvantages - I believe that machines have a bit more to offer as far as ergonomic design, requiring less time loading and unloading plates, the "safety" factor in-that a "spotter" is often not required, and the overall ability to apply a training-load to muscles on various planes of movement.

However, as I stated in the beginning, BOTH free-weights and exercise-machines can produce a safe and effective workout session when used properly. I guess it still comes down to personal preference. I just wanted to share a few facts (and thoughts) on the matter.

Happy and Safe Lifting to All!

ttwarrior1

REST & RELAXATION" The Forgotten 'Link" To Exercise Results.
    Most workout enthusiast should realize that as hard as they train, and as productive as a workout may seem, it is only as good as your ability to recover from it. When a muscle is put through a workout, and the proper amount of training-stimulus occurs, it then takes 48-72 hours to fully-recover and allow an adaptive-response to occur (i.e. get stronger). If you do not allow this process-chain to fully occur, you will find yourself making no-measurable progress from your workouts, or worse, sliding backwards or losing strength.

Many of my bodybuilding buddies perform split-routines. They're in the gym 6-7 days-per-week training different muscles on different days.

What's hard to get through their thick heads is that recovery-ability is not only "muscle-specific", but also "systemic". When you blast through a chest or leg workout, not only are those targeted muscles greatly taxed and in-need of rest, but so is your central-nervous system.

When a person trains intensely for 6 out-of-the 7 days in a week, even though they may argue "yeah, but I'm training different muscles", they are often NOT allowing the trained-muscle to recover, because the recovery-ability needed is being used-up by constant daily expenditure on all your other muscles too. Again, this is so common with “split-routines” that are so popular with ill-informed aspiring bodybuilders.
    It's hard to replace "More is Better" thinking, with "Less is Best"...but it is.

Knowing my muscle-head friends as well as I do, somehow I know they’re NOT listening - lol.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

You couldn't pay me enough to read 1/5 of the shit you post.

TT: Do as I say, not as I do.
    Trainee: Obviously, whatever you're doing isn't working.
    TT: (Insert strawman argument here. Most likely something about Magic coaching the Lakers)
    Trainee: What's Magic coaching the Lakers have to do with you being obese
    TT:
    Trainee:

ttwarrior1

TTwarrior is recommended by dorian yates, Chris Lutz, Franny goodrich, Marcus Reinhardt,lee labrada, pro wrestler brian christopher, drew baye, sparta training,former pro football player kevin hardy, former evansville coach jim crews, ellington darden, Ken hutchins, Ken Mannie, national strength professionals association, afta, kevin trudeau, yes that kevin, uspta, highintensity.net, cyberpump,Dr. Ken Leistner, dave sears, greg anderson, john little, burton richardson,
    dr dave smith, paul skinner, former nfl player sean bennett, deke cooper, and many others.

If anyone needs help with training and diet contact me on twitter at ttwarrior1, ttwarrior4 on skype, Pm me on sbr or highintensity.net, or on facebook.

Im currently training over 500 people through emails, over 500 people on skype, over 300 people on facebook and over 200 people in gyms, and about 1k on various messengers.

Thanks for your time and thanks to Frannie for letting post all this as i agree 100 percent.

Also you can follow my blog here on sbr for various tips. If ttwarrior can serve 120, u can serve 140

ttwarrior1

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Are you sure you made this thread about exercise long enough?

I read about half of your first post, I'll read the rest of this thread in my next lifetime

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

Nice copy and paste.

But as someone who knows ppl who have completed p90x and insanity, it DOES work BUT you must do it PROPERLY. That means doing it EVERYDAY and following the meal plan or coming up with your own meal plan that fits.

Its not hard.

ttwarrior1

p90x is too easy, i can literally do it holding my breath ,

read it all before responding, i just did , good stuff.

I'll post even more.

Lol at everyday, no wonder people quit and get injured on it except for the freaks.

OMGRandyJackson

LMFAO that u say p90x is too easy. You must be fukkkkkin JACKED bro

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

franny is funny...tt, you are a disgusting fat fukking slob...we know you would have a heart attack if you tried to keep up with any of the videos...why make an ignoramus of yourself with the whoreshit comments? and yes, i am open to wagers if you so choose to run your pie eater

ttwarrior1

wagers about what/

me eating doritos right now doesn't take away any knowledge that i know

Why did p90x need to come out with a new routine. Money, cough cough

Someday there will be an infomercial with someone selling a barbell set and people will
    wonder if it works

OMGRandyJackson

P90x does work....you dont need to wonder..

ttwarrior1

when and where did i or frannie say that p90 didn't work, ill send u 5 k in cash and ban myself from sbr if you can find it

ttwarrior1

1 more set then the exact ammount required is overtraining.

Of the 50 or so people at my gym that are doing p90 x or have , im estimating about 45 are injured.

OMGRandyJackson

Then 45 of those 50 did p90x incorrectly..

12 Last