WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Anyone have a Mac Mini?

I am looking to replace a PC that is now garbage and I saw these Mac minis at best buy, but I'm a dumbass with this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

mac mini is great unless you ever use dvd's much. the mini has no dvd drive. you have to download app's from the app store or wirelessly borrow an optical drive from a near by mac or pc.

I would just spend a few more bucks and get an imac

WvGambler

We haven't used the DVD drive in our pc once since owning it. The difference in price from what I saw was 599 for the mini and 1399 for an iMac.

WvGambler

We still have a nice monitor keyboard and mouse also from the pc. Really only need to replace the tower itself.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    We still have a nice monitor keyboard and mouse also from the pc. Really only need to replace the tower itself.

then yeah if the dvd drive is no big issue then yeah the mac mini is a great little machine. if you continue to get apple products i would recommend getting a Apple Time Capsule for backing up all of your apple toys. And the extended apple care which is a little pricey but worth it. I dropped my mac a broke some stuff inside, took it to mac service and said it just quit working. no questions asked they fixed it back up.

the imac starts at $1199 which is twice the mini.
    Last edited by doublej95; 01-16-12 at 10:18 PM.

WvGambler

I may look into doing this. I can't believe I am considering switching over to being a Mac guy. I've always been so against it, but the apple stuff is really impressing me.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've got a Mini which I use as media center computer (i.e. it's hooked up to my TV); I love it. Bought it for $500 (refurb) several years ago. Since you mentioned that you aren't too tech savvy:
    - Make sure the mouse and keyboard are both USB (although you can get an adapter for a few bucks if they aren't)
    - Make sure the monitor accepts either HDMI or DVI
    Points Awarded:

WvGambler gave jgilmartin 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.