Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Anyone here have roommates?

After being out of work for several years, I had to give up my apartment several months ago and get roommates. One of my roommates is a guy I know from Starbucks and the other roommate is a girl he has know since high school. I haven't had a roommate in 15 years so this has been a big adjustment. These kids are like half my age. They constantly have people over and drink heavily. They're nice kids but I'm always cleaning up after them. I have two months left on my lease. I haven't told them yet but I'm thinking about moving out. How do you guys deal with roommates?

Jacobi
    Jacobi's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oh my, don't clean up after them. Set your boundaries and talk it over with them.
    I know it's hard especially for peacemakers (I was one) but these kids need a lesson in boundaries. I once told my two roommates they need to stop talking after midnight because I have trouble sleeping again when I'm waken up at that time, but they constantly do it. One night after I've been woken up by loud laughter and conversation I waited till they finished (about 2AM), got up, and played disruptive music from my laptop in the exact same period of time I've been awake because of their noise. I think I kept it up for about two hours. Then I turned it off and good luck to the three of us the next day as we all needed to go to work/school early next morning. The next night, just before going to sleep, I told them that if I'm waken up again, I'll do that again for the same period of time as they spend talking loudly.
    Not very mature i know, but it worked and they were careful for the ff. nights. Perhaps they got a taste of how to go the office/school intentionally sleep deprived.
    Don't pamper them, tchocky. Room sharing is a training ground for proper assertiveness, cooperation, and life wisdom.

JimmysEgo
    JimmysEgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

how do you know a guy from Starbucks? you just start talking to someone while ordering your coffee or while sitting at a table using their wifi?

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

I told them that I'm moving out. I don't think they're going to change.