jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Moral question.

How many times do you try and correct someone working the till at Lowes about the price of items you are buying .. before simply giving up and paying the amount they are asking for .. even though you know that it will cost the store $300.

Was in Lowes Earlier buying some tile for my spare bathroom .. wife saw some cheap stuff she quite liked for $1.59 per square foot ... 10 in each box ... got 14 boxes to do the tub surround and the floor. Also picked up 15ft of Bull-nose tile (retail price $3.59 per ft)

Got to the checkout and cashier said "27.92" ...

Me : Looked at her funny and said ... "I got 14 boxes of tile"

Cashier: Looked at the them and said "Yeah .. I got them all ... they are $1.59 each"

Me: "They are $1.59 per square ft .. and there are 10 tiles in each box"

Cashier: Looked blankly at me and blinked a couple of times and said .. "Yes .. I know ... you have 14 boxes @ $1.59 per box" ... running her finger along the screen to show me where she had rung up the total

Me: looked at my wife .. my wife shrugged at me .. and I said "... and you got all the bull-nose tile?" .. there are 15 pieces in that box ...

Blink-blink - "yeah .. $3.59 per box"

Me: "I think they are $3.59 per ft too ...

Cashier: "Are there any labels on the tiles themselves ... ?"

Me: "Nope .. "

Cashier: "If they are not marked individually .. and there is just a price label on the box ... then they are $3.59 per box"

Me: done arguing with her .. swipe card .. smile and walk out .. load up car quickly and vow not to return to that store for at least a couple of months just to be on the safe side.

I think I gave her more than enough opportunity to ask someone with half a brain ... she chose not to .. and I was not about to ask for a manager/supervisor ...

result ... $300 worth of tile for $28 ...

so - the question .. how many times (if any) would you have tried to tell her that the price she was charging was wrong ? Or should I have gone back for more ...

Dom177
    Dom177's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

I used to work at a grocery store and the cashiers would constantly do this, you would be surprised how many people just smile and don't say anything. I don't blame them though. I haven't had this happen to me very much but when it does happen I don't ask questions. Well played sir

jkilla990
    jkilla990's Avatar Become A Pro!

not your fault shes retarded, I wouldnt have said anything. For the most part she gets paid very little and probably doesnt give a crap if the store making millions loses a little money if it makes her job a little easier. I see it as a win win situation