TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

What's The Best TV Out There For Value & Quality?

There's so many TV's out there now... DLP, LCD, LED, Plasma, 3D. Then you have to factor in the Contrast Ratio??? Apparently the higher the contrast number the better the picture as well???? Then one guy was telling me even though LED is more expensive, BRIGHTER , and newer... Plasma is still the way to go these days no matter what... as long as your room is completely dark with no sunlight. Sweet jesus... there's so many things to factor in... TV's from $500-$4,000. I was just wondering if anyone recommends a specific model or brand? Like I said... it's based on picture quality and value. Going to pick one up this weekend or in a few days. Thanks.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

I've had a Sharp 42" LCD screen that I got pretty cheap 4 years ago (1K)

Still works great, picture is always crisp and no burn in.

Havent been in the TV market lately, so not sure about all the newer technology. But you cant go wrong with LCD

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Contrast ratio is meaningless. Ignore it. What size TV were you looking for, and what will you use it for primarily? TV, Blu ray, sports, as a screen for your computer?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

LCD or led should be fine...either one

1080 is a must and if you don't get at least 120 hz your sports and action movies will look like shlt.

Anything with internet apps is overrated since you can do the same stuff with most blue ray players...and then you'll have a blue ray player (which would probably cost the same or less than the tv upgrade).

For me the best value is either samsung or LG. Ymmv

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Plasmas are great for sports viewing. LCD better for movies.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
    Contrast ratio is meaningless. Ignore it. What size TV were you looking for, and what will you use it for primarily? TV, Blu ray, sports, as a screen for your computer?
    I was actually looking at a 60"+ There's a Samsung 64" that's a bad ass. But the contrast ratio crap is like a $600 dollar difference from one to the other. Same size. But it's like 250,000: 1 or something like that? The number was high... but the picture was great compared to the other model.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    LCD or led should be fine...either one 1080 is a must and if you don't get at least 120 hz your sports and action movies will look like shlt. Anything with internet apps is overrated since you can do the same stuff with most blue ray players...and then you'll have a blue ray player (which would probably cost the same or less than the tv upgrade). For me the best value is either samsung or LG. Ymmv
    I agree. I like LG and Samsung. Seems like an amazing value.

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I was actually looking at a 60"+ There's a Samsung 64" that's a bad ass. But the contrast ratio crap is like a $600 dollar difference from one to the other. Same size. But it's like 250,000: 1 or something like that? The number was high... but the picture was great compared to the other model.
    Contrast ratio isn't standardized, so don't take it too seriously. Your best bet is to read reviews online of the ones you're looking at, and if you go check them out in the store, make sure you get the sales guy to let you play around with the settings. They are rarely set properly and some are intentionally set to look better than others. Can't go wrong with Samsung or LG, those are probably my favorites in terms of comparing quality and price

mp5070
    The Michael Scott Company
    mp5070's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7789

Yo...money, did you get my pm?

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4931

Panasonic Viera Plasma

KC
    KC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    Panasonic Viera Plasma
    Agree, have a 50inch for 5 years now, its on all the time, great picture (especially for sports) and has never had a problem

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    Panasonic Viera Plasma
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Agree, have a 50inch for 5 years now, its on all the time, great picture (especially for sports) and has never had a problem
    We have the 42" for a couple years now and we are looking to get a 50". I wouldn't change it for anything for sports viewing.

teddyd
    teddyd's Avatar Become A Pro!

i've had a samsung for a few years and have no complaints. just don't get one that's too big for the room. if you have a small room and a 60 inch tv it looks pretty bad

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

I have a Sharp Aquos & a Panasonic Viera and I thought they were both great until I saw my Dad's Mitsubshi. The Mitsubishi has the best quality picture I've seen but he has had problems gettin the sound to sync up,some programs it feels like your watching an old Bruce Lee movie where the sound doesn't match the mouth.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

I just got a 52' Samsung plasma about 6 weeks ago. Fukin sweet.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I just got a 52' Samsung plasma about 6 weeks ago. Fukin sweet.
    Damn that's bigger than a movie theater screen!

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

I have lot of research on this....go for either LED or Plasma.

LED - Thin, less power consumption, works well in bright areas, have new internet options, off-angle viewing is bad

Plasma - Best picture quality, big in size, off-angle viewing good, doesnt work well in bright area

TheChancellor
    TheChancellor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 466

Screw LED, and screw LCD. Go with Plasma, you won't regret it. And if you're going to a major retailer, do not buy into any of the additional crap the employees try to pitch to you. If you're gullible enough, you can easily exceed your budget.

As far as recommendations go, my 10+ days of 2-3 hour per day research {Not including the research I did for the plasma I bought a couple years ago** led me to buy a Panasonic ST30 series. The TV is fantastic, and based on a lot of reviews from expert TV calibrators, it is the best bang for the buck. End of discussion.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

panasonic plasma

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Samsung plamsa. Great value and the whole "needs to be in a dark room" is overrated. It's not different than the old tube TVs and unless you get direct sunlight straight onto the screen, a total non-issue.

Movies are sometimes a pain as plasma has no true black, so dark movies (like Sin City) keep getting trailing or "ghosting". But sports are lights out better.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

Depends entirely on your needs/budget.

Always check Amazon.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

I agree. I like LG and Samsung. Seems like an amazing value.
    You can get a 60" panasonic plasma for $1099 at costco. There's nothing that can touch it for the price.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by kmdubya View Post
    Samsung plamsa. Great value and the whole "needs to be in a dark room" is overrated. It's not different than the old tube TVs and unless you get direct sunlight straight onto the screen, a total non-issue.

Movies are sometimes a pain as plasma has no true black, so dark movies (like Sin City) keep getting trailing or "ghosting". But sports are lights out better.
    Plasmas are still much better than LCD or LED(which is still an LCD) when it comes to black.

TheChancellor
    TheChancellor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 466

Quote Originally Posted by kmdubya View Post
    This only applies to cheaper TVs. Especially with the ghosting and trailing. To say that plasmas in general have no true black is a false statement. Plasmas are known to achieve the darkest blacks out of any TV. This is a fact.

TheMoneyShot

Thanks guys for all the feedback!

I'm so pissed off right now!!! I get an opportunity to purchase this TV on EBAY and It looked like an unbelievable deal!!! I heard you can't ship Flat Screens on the back??? Meaning you have to stand them up and not tilt them??? You should only ship them freight. But, I couldn't confirm how this guy was going to ship it??? Wouldn't write me back. Take a look at this deal. Was it a blockbuster?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270808519889

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

this is not an opinion but a fact

best value and better picture than 90% of the tvs out there marked twice or even three times as high

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-XVT373SV...4716222&sr=1-1

any tv in that XVT line is top notch for the price

and anyone who thinks contrast ratio is meaningless is wrong... sorry, just can't stand when people have no idea what they are talking about. Contrast Ratio is one of the most important aspects of an LED tv if you want good quality and more importantly care about color especially with an LED tv, go get an LED tv with a a dynamic contrast ratio of 10000:1 and you are wasting your money on garbage.
    Last edited by brooks85; 08-30-11 at 10:22 AM.