firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Birmingham AL Mayors Race

http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_1030...tguid=17IJmxMV

There's a guy running for mayor named "Traveling Shoes"!!
    If that doesn't strike you as funny, how about the guy named "Mickey Mouse"?! Can you imagine how people in the public and private sector perceive this when trying to do business with the city of Birmingham?
    This is the pathetic political system we deal with in the US!

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Birmingham Mayor William Bell easily fended off five challengers in Tuesday's election to win another two years at City Hall.

Bell garnered 15,942 votes or 88.96 percent of the vote in the race while second place finisher Patricia Bell received 655 votes, or 3.66 percent. Kamau Afrika finished third with 617 votes or 3.44 percent of total votes cast. Harry "Traveling Shoes" Turner Jr. received 285 votes, or 1.59 percent of votes. T.C. Cannon won 263 votes, or 1.47 percent of the votes and Willis H. "Mickey Mouse" Buddy Hendrix won 158, or .88 percent of total votes.

The mayor greeted and hugged cheering supporters at Cosmos Sports Bar and Grill in Norwood as dance music filled the room -- Kool and the Gang's "Celebration."

Bell said although some said the election was a "shoe in" for him, he remembered attending a boxing match where champion Mike Tyson was surprisingly beat by Buster Douglas.

"You can't take any competition lightly," he said.

Bell won in early 2010 in a special election to replace former Mayor Larry Langford, who was removed from office after corruption convictions from his time on the Jefferson County Commission. His partial term, along with the new second abbreviated term, means Bell will have to run for a full four year term in 2013. The change will synchronize the City Council and mayoral elections.

"We have come a long way from where we were 19 months ago," he said.

Bell said he's been able to balance the budget, stabilize government and continue major projects including the Crossplex at Fair Park, a project begun under Langford. He named the construction of the Westin Hotel at the BJCC as an example of a project envisioned by others but made a reality by his administration.

Bell said he has not forgotten about plans for a dome stadium and would work toward that goal. He said the project has been put on pause until the political climate -- and finances -- are ready to support it.

"I want to make you proud of Birmingham," he said as security guards stood around the roped off area where he spoke. "There's a land of opportunity right here. We are going to take Birmingham to the next level."

Bell said all citizens must be united to move progress and he would communicate with the council, a reference to an often repeated criticism by the council that he does not communicate with the body. But he said his mother warned him to be careful after a dog bites his hand.

"I truly believe they want to have a better city. I truly believe they want to do things the right way and it's my job to communicate, and I will," he said.

While Bell easily won another two years, this term will be the one that either continues or ends his tenure, said Emory Anthony Jr., president of the Jefferson County Progressive Democratic Council, a group that endorsed him.

Anthony said Bell will be judged on his work with tornado recovery and rebuilding in western Birmingham, in addition to the usual issues of economic development and neighborhood redevelopment. And all of this must be done under tight budget constraints.

And while the field was light this time for a two-year term, Anthony said more better known and financed candidates could challenge him in 2013 for a full four-year term.

"Individuals who probably want to run two years from now have to position themselves, and William has to continue to show he has leadership ability," he said. "He's going to have to do it all in two years because they will evaluate him on a full four years."

Afrika Tuesday said he was grateful for the grassroots volunteer support he had in a campaign where he had just about $200 compared to the well-financed incumbent.

"Bell is not strong. He was dependent upon money, outside forces. It shows the character of our community is real weak when we depend on outside forces to fund our politicians," Afrika said.

Afrika, who has run for several local offices, said this was his last attempt at elected office.

"I gave it my best," he said. "I'm not running for anything else."

Turnout was low with a ballot featuring just one race. Unofficial election results show 17,920 people voted.

About 600 voters at Center Street Middle School had cast their ballots by 6:30 p.m. in the election. That polling place has an estimated 1,500 voters registered, precinct captain Rita Tucker said.

Tucker said she was somewhat pleased with the turnout, but said "it's not what it should be."

Larry Russell, 64, said he would not miss the opportunity to vote.

"I spent nine days in the city jail to have this privilege. I will not miss an election," said Russell of Titusville. "I vote every chance I get, every time this door opens," he said, standing in front of the school's gym.

Mondretta Perdue, 62, said she drove from work in Leeds to Titusville to vote after her sister reminded her that Tuesday was election day.

"I don't miss elections," she said."