WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Dear Zachary: a letter to a son about his father

Alright, so I am not a big movie guy. I watch them at times, but have too short an attention span.

I do love documentaries though. This one is streaming on Netflix right now. I cant believe I was oblivious to this case...especially being a social worker.

This is the first time I've EVER cried at a film....and I mean I CRIED. I won't tell anything about it except watch it. But be warned: it WILL ruin your day. I wish I hadn't even come across it.

WvGambler

Anyone seen it?

Dax
    Formerly known as the Linesman!
    Dax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 210

Just read about it on IMDB... DAMNNN that's a rough ending... both in to the atlantic ocean... wow... yeah I pass on watching this...

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dax..You're normally good at moving shit to the Saloon.

I don't need to read about grown men crying in players talk.

WvGambler

Cmon Gates I'm opening up here.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

This movie is a kick in the gut. I watched it on some channel at 2 in the morning once. Dax is a dick for kinda ruining the ending.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4140

I watched it and it was a really moving documentary...really well done and what a tragedy! Have you ever watched American Movie? If you haven't, you all need to locate this and watch it ASAP...one of my favs. I also enjoyed King of Kong, which was enjoyable, Fat Head, which was interesting, and I can't remember the name of the title, but it's the doc on the armored car salesman, which was really interesting too. Most of all, SEE American Movie!

WvGambler

This documentary shook me bad. Have never seen anything this sad. I work as a CPS worker, so I deal with this type of stuff regularly (of course rarely this sad). Unfortunately we never come across grandparents as amazing as the Bagbys. Which of course makes this even more sad.

High3rEl3m3nt

well, go rent American Movie and cheer yourself up...it's epic...it's extraordinary...it's distinctly American and it's got real life characters that bigger than life...rent it or order it up on netflix!

High3rEl3m3nt

High3rEl3m3nt

Dax
    Formerly known as the Linesman!
    Dax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    This movie is a kick in the gut. I watched it on some channel at 2 in the morning once. Dax is a dick for kinda ruining the ending.
    Sorry dude...

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    well, go rent American Movie and cheer yourself up...it's epic...it's extraordinary...it's distinctly American and it's got real life characters that bigger than life...rent it or order it up on netflix!
    Can't find it on netflix.

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

watched it randomly late one night on msnbc. kicked my ass.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

since Dax gave the ending, I will fill the rest in.

The filmmaker is a childhood friend of Bagby, and when he begins making home movies, Bagby frequently appears in them. As they become more professional in quality in later years, Bagby invests in them as well. Bagby is a 28-year-old medical student when he meets Shirley Jane Turner, a twice-divorced Canadian American general practitioner thirteen years his senior. Bagby's parents, friends, and associates are wary of the relationship, but initially Turner seems to keep Bagby grounded and relatively free of stress as he pursues his career. Turner lives and works in Council Bluffs, Iowa, while Bagby works as a resident in family practice in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Eventually, the relationship crumbles and they separate. Turner returns to her home but then drives almost 1,000 miles overnight to meet Bagby at a local park on November 5, 2001. Bagby's body is discovered there the following day, face down with five gunshot wounds.[2]
    Turner becomes the prime suspect in the murder investigation. Facing extensive evidence against her, she flees to St. John's, Newfoundland. Extradition proceedings are initiated as Turner reveals she is pregnant with Bagby's child. While extradition is pending, Turner is not held in custody. She gives birth to a boy she names Zachary. Bagby's parents David and Kathleen move from Sunnyvale, California to Canada, determined to gain custody of their grandson and obtain Turner's rendition for a Pennsylvania trial.
    In late 2002, a Supreme Court justice in Newfoundland rules that there is sufficient evidence for an American or Canadian jury to conclude Turner killed Bagby, and she is taken into custody. Turner writes to a judge and receives a response detailing how to appeal her arrest and subsequent hold in jail. Turner is released by Justice Gale Welsh, who feels she has exhibited no behavior that suggests she poses a threat to society in general. Turner thus regains custody of Zachary. On August 18, 2003, Turner, carrying the 13-month-old infant Zachary, jumps into the Atlantic Ocean from a fishing wharf in Foxtrap; both perish.[3]
    [edit]

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    found it. its on my list

High3rEl3m3nt

do you recommend any good docs?...I like quirky ones...oh yah, check out I like Killing Flies too.

WvGambler

I like all kinds of docs, mostly crime based or anything thats really odd. I absolutely love dark docs about strange people.

King of Kong
    Witch Hunt
    Capturing the Friedmans (really good, really dark)
    I think we're alone now
    Brother's Keeper
    National Geographic: Inside North Korea (sounds dull as shit, but actually pretty interesting.)
    Cropsy
    Aileen Wuornos:Selling of a Serial Killer
    Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills (you can watch this in entirety on youtube, broken up in like 13 parts...one of my favorites)
    The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Most of these are streaming on Netflix right now.