seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Smartphone and Phone Carrier help

Need help. My relationship with ATT has deteriated. Any suggestions on a new phone and carrier. I don't talk a lot, so minutes are not an issue, I text quite a bit, and a data plan doesn't have to execessive. I only pay about 50 a month now and that plan fits me fine, so I don't need much, but I can no longer take or make a call at my own house with clarity. Just pathetic reception. Help me out.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Buy a smartphone off of Ebay and use Simple Mobile for service. $60 unlimited everything.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Buy a smartphone off of Ebay and use Simple Mobile for service. $60 unlimited everything.
    Sounds good. Who is Simple Mobile though?

dvsbmx
    dvsbmx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 966

Tmobile is where its at imo. For $79.99 unlimited everything you don't have to worry about anything plus they probably have some promo going on for the latest and greatest phone available. The only places I've had problems with service are when I'm driving somewhere pretty remote like between Phoenix and Las Vegas or LA. Even then, the service is only patchy and not totally dead.

My experience with lesser known/prepaid services like Boost has been pretty terrible with patchy service, delayed messaging, and just an overall crappy service. If you can afford to spend the extra few bucks get a better known provider that's reliable and probably faster because they're using better technology.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post

Sounds good. Who is Simple Mobile though?
    http://www.mysimplemobile.com/index.aspx

They're pre-paid and they use Tmobile's network.

Pete0
    --------------------
    Pete0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

i'm in the same boat man, I cant wait for my contract to expire.

IMHO ATT has gone to shit past few months, their carrier is the worst reception in the country atm at 6% dropped calls.

Verizon seems to be the way to go !! Best signal so far. less than 2 % dropped calls i believe. T-mobile is somewhere in between, but significantly better than ATTs signal.

Good luck on your choice

EDIT :
    PS: Android >> iOS .
    Last edited by Pete0; 07-28-11 at 05:23 PM.

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

You must live near me!!!

I have had continuous problems with AT&T, especially lately. I can't even make or receive a call or text from my house anymore. I've had them for years but they have suddenly gotten alot worse with service. Also having problems with phantom data usage. Signed my GF and kid up with the 200mb data plan and they both used it up in two days. All at night between 1-3am. No one at AT&T can explain the usage other than "you're doing it". Thing is, they aren't able to tell if the data usage is on their behalf (updating software etc) or my use. They truly suck.

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Need help. My relationship with ATT has deteriated. Any suggestions on a new phone and carrier. I don't talk a lot, so minutes are not an issue, I text quite a bit, and a data plan doesn't have to execessive. I only pay about 50 a month now and that plan fits me fine, so I don't need much, but I can no longer take or make a call at my own house with clarity. Just pathetic reception. Help me out.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by firehoyt View Post
    You must live near me!!!

I have had continuous problems with AT&T, especially lately. I can't even make or receive a call or text from my house anymore. I've had them for years but they have suddenly gotten alot worse with service. Also having problems with phantom data usage. Signed my GF and kid up with the 200mb data plan and they both used it up in two days. All at night between 1-3am. No one at AT&T can explain the usage other than "you're doing it". Thing is, they aren't able to tell if the data usage is on their behalf (updating software etc) or my use. They truly suck.

Yes, they rung me up for ungodly data charges last month. That was the last straw for me.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by firehoyt View Post
    You must live near me!!!

You know how all calls are rounded up to the next whole minute? I read a report about phantom data usage and as it turns out data is also rounded up. That's why you are blowing through the 200 mb so quickly. Download an app called "appadvice" and do a search on phantom data charges. The article ran numerous tests and all charges were legit. It's just another way for the cell phone companies to pick our pocket.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

AT&T is shit.. good to know.

sportfan
    sportfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4473

T-mobile is worse then AT&T , Verizon reception is good but there phones can't use overseas

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

it really depends where you live. but verizon supposedly has the best coverage and fastest 4g internet.

i have a mytouch4g with tmobile. its ok but i mostly got it because it was free from some tmobile special a few months ago. theyre getting bought out by att anyways at the end of the year.

its going to be hard for you to find a cheap rate plan these days just to let you know (if you go with the big 5 -- verizon, att, tmo, nextel, sprint). all of them really have jacked up their prices recently to coincide with smart phones and most make the $20 or $30 data plan REQUIRED with your phone.

nice thing about my phone is it has unlimited free wifi calling so in a sense i dont even need minutes or texts because i could do it over wifi. problem is im never in a constant wifi environment.

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Or use a Boost Mobile

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

tmobile sucks

pico
    USC ml

att sucks

pico
    USC ml

pretty much all the carriers suck in usa

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

virgin mobile has 300min/unlimited web & text for $35. had you signed up last week you wouldve been grandfathered into $25.

they have a choice of 3 androids: lg optimus ($149), samsung intercept ($199 & worst of the 3) and motorola triumph ($299).

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-...talk-plans.jsp

it runs on the sprint network so coverage kinda sucks in rural areas though.

redsband
    redsband's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Unlimited everything? Sounds good.

hardball
    hardball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

If at&t is giving you reception issues stay away from t-mobile. They both are GSM based technologies and tend to share a similar real estate pattern for their network in major cities.

A good friend is an RF engineer and involved in network planning for at&t. Always says Verizon and its CDMA coverage is tough to beat when at&t fails. Only problem is it's not any cheaper.

thejanitor
    thejanitor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1779

AT&T bought T-Mobile if you were planning on trying one of those services.

DoritoHolic
    DoritoHolic's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have a droid on Verizon network, I get service almost everywhere, but they are overpriced in my opinion.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Tmobile can't be worse than ATT, can they?