robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Air Conditioner problem, what would you guys do?

I had a Carrier A/C unit installed late in 2008. In 2009, I start to experiance problems with it (less cold air coming out of the vents, noises at the unit, etc). When the company that installed it came out, they said that these noises were normal and that less cold air in the house was also normal.

In 2010, the A/C stopped working completely. The contrator said that since my labor warrenty was up, I'd have to pay 1000 for a leak test (the unit only cost 1400). They put refridgerant in the unit (illegal to put refridgerant in a leaking unit. Then they said they would wait for me to call for the leak test.

The refrigerant lasted me til now. Got another contractor to do the leak test. Condensor coil needs to be replaced. The installation contrator says labour will cost 800.00.

After they do the work, should I threaten them with ratting them out on adding refridgerant to a leaking unit (a 10,000.00 fine)?

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

Do you have any documentation from when they came out in 2009?

Regardless, gather everything you can and contact the BBB. If you have legitimate paperwork (more than 'he said she said') I would also call the news channels in your city. They're always looking for cover stories about shitty blue collar companies who rip people off.

Good luck.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Yeah they tried to charge me for adding refriderant to the unit. I dont think theyll do anything about a complaint, but i'll pretty sure they'll give me my money back if i threaten a 10K fine.

jbrent95
    jbrent95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1450

You are certainly dealing with unscrupulous people. Tell them to come fix the coil or you will start giving them negative ratings on Yelp, Angies list, and the BBB. Be prepared to post all of your documents.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19468

If its a swamp cooler in New Mexico, you have to turn it off because all of the ash from the fire in Arizona will choke you out.

bachngocduong
    bachngocduong's Avatar Become A Pro!

call them come fix it that all

tat1980
    tat1980's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 270

An inspector always comes out right after it is installed. Did that happen? Also changing the coil is not too difficuilt.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

I would go the Attorney General route that usually gets the most attention, they should have a "consumer protection" department or online complaint form. The BBB and it's actions are pretty laughable at this point IMO, think of the nice neighbor going to the bullies house to tell him to lower the music.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Also nothing from Carrier in the way of a warranty? Fnking thing shouldn't be break down in 2-3 years.

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

I'd lean on them to forgive the bill, or else call the appropriate agency.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by tad0matic View Post
    I'd lean on them to forgive the bill, or else call the appropriate agency.
    I think I will do this. One blackmail threat after its fixed and i should atleast get half off the bill.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by stikymess View Post
    Also nothing from Carrier in the way of a warranty? Fnking thing shouldn't be break down in 2-3 years.
    I called Carrier, and the chick basically told me to fuk myself.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by tat1980 View Post
    An inspector always comes out right after it is installed. Did that happen? Also changing the coil is not too difficuilt.
    In Ontario an inspector only comes if its related to natural gas.

poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Do some Googling on the company and/or AC unit to see if there are similar complaints.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

My Carrier 2.5 ton unit installed 2 years ago came with a 10 year warranty but perhaps you just have small window unit or something. Did you keep the documents that came with your unit?

However refrigerant is still used.....how else do you think an AC works? R22 Freon is the only common refrigerant to be banned and I doubt you have proof that is what they used. If it is a 2008 model that is even more unlikely.