pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Greatest music video of all time: House of the Rising Sun

Eric Burdon - Vocals
    Alan Price - Keyboard
    Hilton Valentine - Lead Guitar
    Chas Chandler - Bass Guitar
    John Steel - Drums

The Animals recorded this in one take, as they had perfected the song from years of performing it on the road. The Animals' drummer John Steel recalls in 1000 UK #1 Hits by Jon Kutner and Spencer Leigh, "We Played Liverpool on May 17 1964 and then drove to London where Mickie (Most) had booked a studio for ITV's Ready Steady Go! Because of the reaction we were getting to 'Rising Sun,' we asked to record it and he said, 'Okay we'll do it at the same session.' We set up for balance, played a few bars for the engineer - it was mono with no overdubs - and we only did one take. We listened to it and Mickie said, 'That's it, it's a single.' The engineer said it was too long, but instead of chopping out a bit, Mickie had the courage to say, 'We're in a microgroove world now, we will release it.' A few weeks later it was #1 all over the world. When we knocked The Beatles off the top in America, they sent us a telegram which read, 'Congratulations from The Beatles (a group)'" The producer Mickie Most recalls, "Everything was in the right place, the planets were in the right place, the stars were in the right place and the wind was blowing in the right direction. It only took 15 minutes to make so I can't take much credit for the production. It was just a case of capturing the atmosphere in the studio." (thanks, Edward Pearce - Ashford, Kent, England)

The song is about a brothel in New Orleans. "The House Of The Rising Sun" was named after Madame Marianne LeSoleil Levant (which means "Rising Sun" in French) and was open for business from 1862 (occupation by Union troops) until 1874, when it was closed due to complaints by neighbors. It was located at 826-830 St. Louis St.

The Animals performed this song while touring England with Chuck Berry. It went over so well that they recorded it between stops on the tour. In our 2010 interview with Animals lead singer Eric Burdon, he explained: "'House of the Rising Sun' is a song that I was just fated to. It was made for me and I was made for it. It was a great song for the Chuck Berry tour because it was a way of reaching the audience without copying Chuck Berry. It was a great trick and it worked. It actually wasn't only a great trick, it was a great recording. The best aspect of it, I've been told, is that Bob Dylan, who was angry at first, turned into a rocker. Dylan went electric in the shadow of The Animals classic 'House of the Rising Sun.'"

There is a house in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun
    And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
    And God, I know I'm one

My mother was a tailor
    She sewed my new blue jeans
    My father was a gamblin' man
    Down in New Orleans

Now the only thing a gambler needs
    Is a suitcase and trunk
    And the only time he's satisfied
    Is when he's on a drunk

Oh, mother, tell your children
    Not to do what I have done
    Spend your lives in sin and misery
    In the house of the rising sun

Well, I got one foot on the platform
    The other foot on the train
    I'm goin' back to New Orleans
    To wear that ball and chain

Well, there is a house in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun
    And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
    And God, I know I'm one

nikevols
    nikevols's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good shit man..thanks for posting

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

really catchy guitar riff. singer is awesome too.

pickemtowinem
    a.k.a. Dr.Money
    pickemtowinem's Avatar Become A Pro!

one of the most under rated groups of all time.

Yich123
    Yich123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2244

how is this the best music video of all time? i love the fk song its one of my favs but the video aint nuttin spesh...

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

How about this video?

Ibrakadabra
    Ibrakadabra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Yes, definitely a brilliant video, you donīt see many done that way nowadays

I have a question though, is the band name "The Animals" as brilliant? I think not...

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I've seen this before. The Animals rip. Thanks for posting this. Good shit.

Kayman
    Kayman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

That drummer is a beast of a man, doesn't even need the snare

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

chacker
    chacker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6620

Quote Originally Posted by Yich123 View Post
    how is this the best music video of all time? i love the fk song its one of my favs but the video aint nuttin spesh...
    I don't get it either. Why is it special?