masta
    masta's Avatar Become A Pro!

New Computer

Looking to buy a new computer..which is the updated ones that I should look into? I have a Dell now for around 3 years but want a newer one or different brand maybe? Sony?

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

it all depends upon what you want to do with it.

I've a friend who only uses her HTC Evo phone now as she: checks facebook, calls buddy, checks news, texts buddy, checks google for latest news on some movie star, calls buddy, takes photo, sends photo on e-mail, texts buddy, plays angry birds, calls BF, argues with BF, etc, etc.

BWest
    BWest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1019

PCmag website will help you build a computer with what you want at the best price. They present pros and cons on hardware/software without manufac. bias. BOL

actionchris
    actionchris's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah if you're just using it for the basics like internet and office and not games or anything, then you don't need to get something outrageous in price

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    it all depends upon what you want to do with it. I've a friend who only uses her HTC Evo phone now as she: checks facebook, calls buddy, checks news, texts buddy, checks google for latest news on some movie star, calls buddy, takes photo, sends photo on e-mail, texts buddy, plays angry birds, calls BF, argues with BF, etc, etc.
    Your first response had the most appropriate question.

FeelinJuiced
    FeelinJuiced's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dell has really declined in quality lately. If you're looking for a laptop go Sony or Asus. And if you got the money it's hard to go wrong with a Mac.

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

I wasDell loyal for many years (laptops), but my newest laptop (last fall) I bought an ASUS. It's a monster, and can handle many programs at once, huge screen, and doesn't ever get hot on my lap like my Dell did. Really good for gaming too if you're into that, graphics & sound are awesome. Got is at BestBuy, but not cheap, about $1200 if I recall correctly.

horsiehung
    horsiehung's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like going to ebay...just make sure you got the fast cpu and good expansion

Nittany Lion
    Nittany Lion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

Whatever you do, buy a good warranty.

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

my Dell i bought awhile ago is solid....it is a Vostro Business model tho....Sony's are good but your paying more than you really need to.

Grab one with an I3/I5 processor...Asus/Dell/Acer/Sony etc. are all solid...it's not really about the brand though but more about what parts are inside it.

windwind
    Update your status
    windwind's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 492

build ur own, its more fun

azn624
    Update your status
    azn624's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

If you got money I would go with a Mac

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

i always wanted a man..but im a pc guy

dizzy_7
    dizzy_7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

No one has mentioned HP???

They make some really good laptops, can always upgrade the warranty..

TBH - someone said it, they are all the same in parts... go with a good name or build your own..

dxunchuk
    dxunchuk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 602

everything is a matter of money, you like dell buy more expensive dell, hence more powerful .

ejfel01
    ejfel01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

It really surprises me that no pc specs were told in this thread yet... Only brands.
    To OP: Get a Macbook if you're not such a tech-savvy guy. Won't regret it

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I've had good luck with toshiba computers.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9221

Go to your local no name pc store and buy whatever bundle system they have that week. Super powerful Quad Core AMD processor system is probably under 400 bucks. If a desktop will do you.

Bugger brand names, bugger extended warranty.

ROGUE63
    ROGUE63's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 261

ya there is usually a sale on somewhere as long as u get a decent processor and 4 gig of ram ur fine

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you're just going to use it for Internet/Business type of shit, you can get away with some of the cheaper computers or laptops.

You can grab a Desktop for a 300-400 bucks, then grab a 24" monitor for 125. Look online at places where they have no tax and free shipping to save yourself some cash.

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like my HP and would buy another...and probably will soon..

stc1709
    stc1709's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

get a mac you wont regret it

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

If you are into $1500-$2500 get a mac.

If not get an Asus.

Heres what I would get:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...895&CatId=4938

Highlights:

• Thin and light form factor and stylish looks for ultimate movability that’s also a clear statement of chic.
    • Powerful tech gets you going not only in style, but with confidence – Intel Core i3-370 processor crunches even the toughest challenges with awesome speed.
    • Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics with 512GB DDR3 VRAM does justice to the latest games and visuals.
    • 4gb DDR3
    • 320 GB HD (if you need more get a 1TB external from Western Dig for like $125.00)
    • 9 Hours on a charge (This is not a joke, I have last years model and it can do 8 hours straight outa the box, adjusting the settings and you can get 10+ hours of use)
    • 13.3" screen is plenty big
    • This is light, fast and powerful. Core i3 is a solid processor.

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

I would go with Commodore 64 or Mac, both about the same.

ElLoco23
    ElLoco23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im looking for a new one myself

PDW
    PDW's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think you should get a blue one.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

build your own. hell thats what i do and its hella cheaper

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

Your first step is determining a price. Once you figure out the max amount you are willing to spend, then you can shop around, and see whats out there. If your max is $1000 then determine what you want to do with the computer, because you can then try and lower the amount. Do not spend for what you do not need.

Try to build it yourself, it is fun and is a lot cheaper. If you buy one of those $499.99 computers at a best buy type store that looks cool, your in for trouble. They are made with cheap components that generally fail within 2 years. Their upgrading is extremely limited (but best buy wont tell you that), and they are filled with bloatware which will slow down your computer. Best buy type stores will say things like its "great for multitasking, great for gaming, great for ANYTHING YOU WANT TO DO!!!!" This is generally false, they will be great for multitasking if you like to multitask word and youtube. Theyll be great for gaming if you like to play 3+ year old games etc. They are piles of shit.

Use sites like ncix.com, tigerdirect.com(.ca), and newegg.com(.ca) to help you build it on your own. If you lack the skills to build it on your own, choose all the components and pay them to build it, I think its $30-#50. Building it yourself will save an unreal amount of money. Say you want a gaming computer and you go to one of those fancy sites like alienware. Your going to drop at least $2000. You can build a comparable gaming computer on your own for almost half that.

Quote Originally Posted by windwind View Post
    build ur own, its more fun
    And a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by G's pks View Post
    I like my HP and would buy another...and probably will soon..
    Horrible advice along with all the pro mac. HP is hit and miss. Pumping around 1k into something that is hit or miss is not something I would do. With HP you will get a shitload of bloatware that can be really tough to remove. It will become extremely sluggish quickly because they have a lot of HP shit that comes with it that really slows down the computer. Most of it you can remove though.

Furthermore HP customer service is absolute shit. They will try nothing but to upsell you before offering you a real solution. Last fall I went t reformat my HP laptop and the recovery image on the laptop was corrupt. Luckily I had made back up discs when buying the computer but those turned out to be corrupt too. I googled the error code and found out that a large portion of HP's recovery tools are [bold]shipped[/bold] corrupt. After calling HP and giving them the error code they suggested the harddrive had failed and I would need to send in the computer to be fixed and they also REFUSED to provide a quote on how much this may cost. I told them no that I googled this error and the fix is just new reformat discs. HP aggressively denied this and after a lot of back and forth which included me threatening to take them to small claims court, they finally agreed to send me new discs for free. The rep also tried to make it seem like he should not be doing this, that he is doing me a huge favor, saving me $50 and to not expect it to work. Discs came a week or so later and the problem was solved. So in summary, HP will try to LIE to you about any error problem to try and get more money from you because there are a lot of none tech savvy people out there that would say oh dang ok ill send it in. Furthermore when you file a complaint against the customer service person, guess who calls you back? THAT PERSON. Thats right, they get the person you are having a problem with to call you back. And guess what else, they will refuse to pass you onto someone else. But if you continually say "I refuse to talk to you" etc. for 10 or so minutes, theyll patch you to someone else but this is what theyll say "Ok Ill put you through to my co-worker but I have already explained the situation with them and they agree with me, so they will just re-iterate what Ive told you". So if that is something you want to experience get an HP!

Mac is extremely overpriced for what you get. Its that simple. You do not need to spend $2500 on a computer. If you spend $2500 on a computer you are probably legally retarded.
    Last edited by OMGRandyJackson; 04-04-11 at 11:26 AM.

kidk
    kidk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

go to the new circuit city website u can get real cheaps computers

Mahowny82
    Mahowny82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5041

http://www.alternate.nl/html/pcbuild...=1&tn=BUILDERS

After some research I put this pc together, it's not yet complete.I'm Dutch so it's a Dutch website. Still missing OS and not yet sure about the different components. I think it's some overkill because I'm not really a gamer. But maybe in the future...

I want to use 2 monitors, watch some nice streams and movies in good quality with quality sound.

I want a fast and reliable system, mainly for some live betting and playing poker.

Any guys who can suggest me some nice computer?

I think I'm buying 1 at the end of this month so I got enough time to think about it and compare some systems.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

macbook son.

you get what you pay for.

thats why they are expensive

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

i got a dell studio laptop as my newest. cost abotu 1500 for the setup but soooo worth it.

DblDeuce
    DblDeuce's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its pretty good that with computers, if you buy the main parts separately its actually cheaper. Compare that to buying new car parts separately, it would be insane to do that.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Get one of the new icores from intel. Macbook for 1300 you will get a 6 year old dual core

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

OMGRandyJackson...so it sounds like you had a bad experience with a $400 best buy computer? Mine has been perfect and could not be happier with it...but I will agree HP customer service sucks!

12 Last