smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

What do you do when you're on a bad run?

I am on the worst run of my life (see Daniel Negranu on high stakes poker). I am a long term winner (10 years +), but have been running terribly lately. I do feel this run has affected my play as well. Anybody who has dealt with this successfully who would be kind enough to respond, well it would be appreciated.

andyjc712
    andyjc712's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1149

i just take a few days off and regroup. happens to everyone

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Take a break and clear your head. It may be tough, but when you play again try not to focus on results, just try to focus on playing well. Reward yourself if you play well regardless of the results. Try to build some confidence back. If you have to drop down a level or two to focus on playing well, do it.

smitch124

Thanks guys, I'm done for a long while. Need to regroup

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

Take the break, but don't completely distance yourself from the game...play for points at SBR or something similar. I recently took a month long hiatus and seem to have lost the motivation to get back into it.

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16233

go play on a site that has PLAY money and get your game back

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

I have this stupid 9 step chart on how to turn $2 into $100 on Stars or FT that I do, used to do it all the time starting out. Just stop playing my normal games until it's done, I primarily play PL200 6-max Omaha.

ThaddeusB
    ThaddeusB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135661

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    I am on the worst run of my life (see Daniel Negranu on high stakes poker). I am a long term winner (10 years +), but have been running terribly lately. I do feel this run has affected my play as well. Anybody who has dealt with this successfully who would be kind enough to respond, well it would be appreciated.
    I am especially prone to bad streaks. I am a big time long-term winner, but I play emotionally when things are going poorly and tilt away significant money. Once it gets really bad, the only way to fix it for me is to take a month or more off.

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

Quote Originally Posted by 3PtShooter View Post
    go play on a site that has PLAY money and get your game back
    I'm far away from experienced but I would assume this is really bad advice.

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

i go back through some of the 'bad beat' hands that I thought at the time were bad beats.. Then I realize a lot of them were not bad beats, but rather poor judgement on my part.. that always brings me back to reality and I generally start to play back to my game

eberetta1
    Win some cha-ching
    eberetta1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12599

Take a week off to clear your head.

Also, most people make more money working a regular job. Be sure you are only losing entertainment money when playing poker.

smitch124

Quote Originally Posted by sq764 View Post
    i go back through some of the 'bad beat' hands that I thought at the time were bad beats.. Then I realize a lot of them were not bad beats, but rather poor judgement on my part.. that always brings me back to reality and I generally start to play back to my game
    Kind of funny I did go back and look at many of the hands I thought I played poorly and in fact I didn't. But thinking you are playing poorly when you're not may be just as bad as the opposite

My main concern though is the attitude change, I'm getting more pissed when losing hands instead of letting them roll off my back like I used to. I gotta believe this will lead to poorer play (and I'm sure it has at times). What I am gonna do (I usually play PLO8 and H/L limit) is stick to limit for now, there is a bit less variance.

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

take a break, varience happens also remember your "goodbeats" too.

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Posting after being PM'd for this, works on Stars and Full Tilt

Balance-$2, Plan Buy in to .01/.02 NL for $1
    Goal, turn that $1 into $3 If success, go to step 3, if fail, go to step 2.

Step 2-Balance $1 Plan Buy into .02/.04 limit for .50
    Goal turn that .50 into $2, if success go to step 1, if fail repeat step 2(and hope)-Note, I played Stud at this level instead as I find it an easier game to control the pot and get inwhen you have the best of it and get decent pots, if you arent decent at stud, play limitHE

Step 3 Balance $4 Plan Buy into .01/.02NL for $2,
    Goal Turn that $2 into $5 success go to step 4, fail go to step 1

Step 4 Balance $7 Plan Buy into .01/.02NL for $3
    Goal Turn that $3 into $10 success go to step 5, fail go to step 3

Step 5 Balance $14 Plan buy into .01/.02 for full buy in $5
    Goal Turn that $5 into $15 success go to step 6, fail go to step 4

Step 6 Balance $24 Plan 1 Table HU SNG 5.25
    Goal WIN success go to step 7, fail go to step 5 until you get to $22.25

Step 7 Balance $28-$30 Plan 1 Table HU SNG 5.25
    Goal WIN success go to step 8 fail go to step 6

Step 8 Balance $33 to $35 Plan Buy into 1 1Table 5.50 or 6.50 SNG
    Goal 1st or 2nd, win Go to step 9, 3rd Repeat step 8, fail go to step 7

Step 9 Balance $50+ Plan Buy into 1 1table HU SNG and 1 4person SNG
    Goal, Balance to $70, Repeat as long as above $50, Fail go to step 8

Step 10 Balance $70 Plan Buy into 1 4person SNG, and 1 1table SNG ( 5.50/6.50)
    Goal Balance to $100 Repeat as long as above $70, Fail go to step 9

Now you have $100 which is good for 10 full buyins at .05/,10NL or close to 20buy ins for 5.50 1 table SNGs
    If you fall below $60 at any time, go back to step 9 IMMEDIATELY and begin rebulding.

brucethebear
    brucethebear's Avatar Become A Pro!

Take a break as others have suggested and treat poker as one big session.

Eg - I started with x $$$ and now have 10x $$$. While I have had plenty of losing sessions, longterm, I am still up.

Btb

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Quote Originally Posted by ThaddeusB View Post
    I am especially prone to bad streaks. I am a big time long-term winner, but I play emotionally when things are going poorly and tilt away significant money. Once it gets really bad, the only way to fix it for me is to take a month or more off.
    +1 (well, not big time winner, but ahead )

And I don't even watch poker during the time off. I don't read about poker. I avoid everything poker-related. Then to get back into it I watch some youtube poker things that make me laugh (Hellmuth blow-ups, Xtranormal cartoons, Tuff-Fish complaining, etc) Then my very 1st session back if I'm ahead after about 15 minutes of play I quit. If I start losing off the bat, I quit immediately; then try again the next day with a clear head.