SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Best strategy for the Feb Winner take all Satellites

Here is a strategy article I whipped up in honor for the Feb Winner take all Satellites.

Sbr is featuring three Satellite MTT's each day Monday thru Friday. Only the winners advance to the final tournament on Saturday for a boatload of points and prizes. That being said, how does the thinking poker player adjust his or her tournament strategy to this change in format.

1. Chips never change in value. An old adage of the standard MTT is this: The more chips you have the less value each chip has; the fewer chips you have the more valuable they become. This rule does not apply to a winner takes all format. There is no hanging on to eek into the cash. The value of the chips are a constant in winner takes all. In a standard MTT, the value of each chip changes with a variety of factors like how many to the money, and what percentage of chips you have compared to the field.

2. EV plays are not determined by blind level in a winner takes all format. Coin flips for your tourney life are situational in a standard MTT but always correct in a winner take all format. For example, level 2 you open with a standard 3x raise with AK suited. The next player just blasts all in, and everyone else folds to you. In a standard MTT, the better skilled player is rewarded by folding AK here. You want your skill to shine and their are many places that pay. The risk taken to win this chips have less value than at later blind levels when the move becomes necessary.
    In a winner takes all format, you always play EV regardless of the blind level. Barring a soul read of Aces or Kings, it is always wrong to fold AK suited in any chance to flip in the winner takes all scenario. The chips have a constant value in this format, and folding to a coin flip makes you an ev loser here.

3. If you intend to trap, then make sure you can stack also. There are few subtleties in this format. Gradual gains are not rewarded in this format. You want to think Sherman's March to the Sea. Slash and burn. Bet fast and bet hard. Semi bluffs increase in value...take the chips now or go for it all. There is only one winner here and dont you be the one stuck in Atlanta.

So in conclusion, no bubble means no changing gears. Every chance you get someone to fold in a near EV situation is a win for you. Blind levels are thrown out the window. The saying the tournament does not start til the antes kick in does not hold water here. You want to play every equal EV situation to the extreme. Little trapping, lots of big guns, and good luck in this safari.

See you on Monday

Mighty Maron

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

shove and pray

sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

is this like an all in or fold tournament?

mvp123
    mvp123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5039

yeahstrategy is different than a reg mtt ,i agree wholeheartedly

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

I'm never folding AK online.

ReiNNNN
    ReiNNNN's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'll never fold an AK too. if i get that on my first hand i'll shove all in rofl

Richards
    Richards's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Jam fest.

Finishing 2nd in a winner take all is a crummy feeling. How about a 10-point consolation prize for each Satellite runner-up?

I think a format like this gives an even playing field for weaker and stronger players. Even a lot of weaker players understand pre-flop hand value and they can't go too wrong if they select decent starting hands.

Where players get separated in skill is in post-flop play, bet sizing, hand reading. It sounds like these skills will be less important in this format e.g. folding a coin flip to wait for chances to outplay the weaker player later will not be a winning play in this format.

So weaker players should probably be happy...and stronger players, well --- they'll have less of an edge but maybe should be happy too since the monthly prizes given out for free are quite impressive whatever the edge.

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Very good article, thanks. as the above says, shove and pray!

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Quote Originally Posted by ReiNNNN View Post
    i'll never fold an AK too. if i get that on my first hand i'll shove all in rofl
    I will lay down AK in a normal MTT in the first few levels at least

masterxxv
    masterxxv's Avatar Become A Pro!

as the above says, shove and pray!

Wulfman14
    The Great Khali
    Wulfman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

i dont understand what john posted . just shove and pray boys

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

sorry john... not folding AKs when some donkey moves all in, ofcourse unless that AKs is of diamonds... lol ive never seen AKd win before here on SBR o.O

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

also... how long do we have before blinds increase? 10mins? 5mins? and howmany lv1 bbs will each player start with?