PokerDeath
    PokerDeath's Avatar Become A Pro!

To chat or not to chat

I usually ignore the chat when playing, but I witnessed someone mildly goading players last night, and it seemed to be working, the other players began to aggressively go after him, as if they were trying to run him off the table. Of course, this was exactly what he wanted them to do, and he cleaned up on them and left the table. Do any of you use the chat to your advantage? If so, what techniques work for you?

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like to be congenial to the other players, and congratulate them when their bad play is successful, as it encourages them to continue playing that way. I never, ever berate the other players online - though I blow off steam in other ways - because I want them to keep playing poorly.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I usually stay quiet, but if a player hits quads or a straight flush I will congradualte them.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I generally don't chat. Partly, because I'm often multi-tabling and simply don't have the luxery. I do try to read the chat in case I can get a read on someone's personality or temperment. I have done like Razz, sometimes, encouraging bad players to keep playing badly by congratulating horrendous suckouts. I've even been able to keep bad players on the table with friendly chitchat after they bust out, getting them to rebuy. They think you are a friend, etc, but in reality you are waiting for the chance to bust them again and again. Keep those idiots rebuying.

Chatting can be a double-edged sword, so use with caution. Generally I'll err on the side of caution by not chatting, but there are rare occasions when I've used it to my advantage as noted above.

McFly
    McFly's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'll usually ignore chat at the table I'm at but when I'm watching a high-profile table, I like to read what the railbirds are saying...some of them are so stupid they're funny.

QuickLearner
    QuickLearner's Avatar Become A Pro!

I always watch the chat, but never participate unless it's to say "nh" or "ty." Usually...

There are few thing in life that bring me more pleasure than when someone at the table pounds on me for beating him. I don't normally make mistakes in the math part of the game, so when I hang around to chase somebody down I have the odds I need. Then they start with the, "How could you call a raise with that crap?" comments. My reply is always, "I felt lucky." Normally, that's enough to tilt him for the rest of the session.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Kindof offtopic story...I friend of mine used to annouce he was going all in on the first hand everytime he sat at a table... His plan was if he got aces or kings he would do it and if not would blow off "his committment." I told him that I thought it was pretty stupid since the frequency of hitting that just didn't make it worth the time plus you still had to get a call to get paid off... anyhow after about of a month of doing this he finally got his aces and got a call and ended up getting out outdrawn... guess it was a month worth of bad karma catching up to him...

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I probly wouldn't say a word. the people that do this type of stuff, just do it to get under your skin and throw you off your game from what i have noticed.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

i once read in a book that you should just type any random word in every 4 or 5 hands..................... just type in .......boat...........apple..........chi cago.........baseball........ just some bs word that pops in your head......... theory was that people wouldn't know what to think of you crazy? drunk? wiley coyote?tried this for fun one night.......some of the players were laughing there azzes off so much that they did play a little more loose and i won pretty good but i think i actually started to go crazy it was a funny experiment to try though.

PokerDeath
    PokerDeath's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great stuff. I especially like the random word type in. That's got to make a few players tilt.

bostonceltics13
    bostonceltics13's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm a live player so chat is a part of the game. Online is harder to get a read so chat is one way to do that. The key is to get a read while not giving one. I typically try not to rely on chat to get reads since it's so unreliable. I think I'll take a few suggestions from here and try getting players on tilt respectfully and typing congrats to suckouts. Never thought chat would provide such an edge but I guess it could if done correctly. Thanks for the tips fellas.

Point Spread
    Point Spread's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like chatting, but sometimes it just gets in the way of the game....

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Bite chats.

Bite wins.

He's the Antonio Esfandiari of the site.

Name:  antonio-esfandiari-flashes-a-grin-during-play-194283.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  110.4 KB
    Points Awarded:

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave GUMMO77 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave GUMMO77 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave GUMMO77 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

I have no problem letting you fuk'in know what I think of your all in shove 2,3 os river straight. Worst fuk'in shitty hands win here anyway, so I might as well congratulate you on your ridiculously stupid donk ass play!

There is no real poker being played here anyway, just a suck out software program that rewards newbie non pros, lucky ass basement living, ramen eating idiots who couldn't play a fuk'in hand correctly if their life depended on it, and of course super users. We love our super users though, at least they chat with you while reaming you up the ass with 2, 7 os river flush.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Holy crap this is an old thread.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

i was gonna say it's just wussy waves being ganged up on as usual.... shove on his bb everytime.... it's a 19/20 fold for him.... that's all the guy was witnessing....

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    Bite chats.

Bite wins.

He's the Antonio Esfandiari of the site.

Name:  antonio-esfandiari-flashes-a-grin-during-play-194283.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  110.4 KB

4uk4life
    4uk4life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1820

You know Gummo drunk and lonely when he bumps 8 year old threads. Wife out of town Gummo? Pizza time

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by 4uk4life View Post
    You know Gummo drunk and lonely when he bumps 8 year old threads. Wife out of town Gummo? Pizza time
    Watch the 'tude, homie... and STAY IN YOUR LANE.

Gum gets to do whatever the hell he wants, pal.

If SBR were a chessboard, Gum would be a KNIGHT and you'd be a PAWN.
    (Beerdog is a QUEEN but that's beside the point.)

You wouldn't even be the privileged white pawn, either... and you'd have to ask Al Sharpton before you even thought to move off h7.

Capisce?
    Points Awarded:

GUMMO77 gave BiTeMe UsAdOj 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

GUMMO77 gave BiTeMe UsAdOj 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GUMMO77

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Mrs. GUMMO’s Christmas Card List

BiteMe
    BeerDog
    4uk4life
    Peavy
    Shari
    TTWarrior
    Points Awarded:

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave GUMMO77 6 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave GUMMO77 9 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj

Slanina
    Slanina's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5895

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Holy crap this is an old thread.
    Keeping it alive!

4uk4life
    4uk4life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1820

I better get that Christmas card this year Gummo

Goatman
    Goatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    Mrs. GUMMO’s Christmas Card List

BiteMe
    BeerDog
    4uk4life
    Peavy
    Shari
    TTWarrior
    Just gotta say, I love the avatar, Gummo! I'm a huge Hunter S. Thompson fan!

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

Some players get a free pass on poker chat
    Mines banned for life hahhahahahha
    Ive seen a lot worse than I did or at least even....... not even a week ban
    Last edited by konck; 12-03-17 at 06:44 PM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

oldest thread on sbr?

dhristov211
    2023 year of Josh
    dhristov211's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 758

Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    Some players get a free pass on poker chat
    Mines banned for life hahhahahahha
    Ive seen a lot worse than I did or at least even....... not even a week ban
    Did you use bad language?

Auto Donk

i love chatting with waves.....

as he stalls, waiting to call my 99 with his lowly 77, thinking that using all of his time bank before he calls will somehow lean the cards in his favor, I start to berate him about what a loser he is..... how the stall won't work.... how he's about to go the rail as the mother f'n bubble boy....

he makes the dumb call at the last possible second, sees the bad news, and receives yet more friendly chat messages from Donknac the Magnificent like "hit the f'n rail, waves, you f'n loser" and "GTFO, STALLER!!!!" and "nice bubble finish, flappy small b-cupped scammer!!!!".....

He strangely quits talkin' shit about the time the river is dealt, he suddenly vanishes from the table, left to look at the "13" next to his name, and begins to quiver and shake that all of his efforts to min-cash have been thwarted by yours truly .......

there is no joy in wavesville tonight.... just a starless Christmas tree with no gifts under it, and a set of flappy b-cups being hidden under a hoodie......

Last edited by Auto Donk; 12-19-17 at 10:11 AM.
    Points Awarded:

oChRoNiCo gave Auto Donk 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: oChRoNiCo

bobbywaves
    bobbywaves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 960

No surprise Donkey doesn't have the balls or pts to bet Waves, as he's nowhere to be found on this annual leaderboard of elite players:

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywaves View Post
    No surprise Donkey doesn't have the balls or pts to bet Waves, as he's nowhere to be found on this annual leaderboard of elite players:

Too bad that I missed over 20 tournaments this year, or I would have been above waves. Oh wait, where am I?

Auto Donk

waves pussied out and wouldn't agree to a yearly challenge with me based on a limited trny schedule....

from the bash to several trips to vegas, the east coast, louisianna over and over, the damn hurricane, and deer hunting, I've missed over 20 - 30 trnies myself this year......

waves, the same challenge will be offered to you again this coming year: base it on the first 200 trnies played by either of us, results to be documented in a daily thread in betpoints or poker board, once 200 played, it's done... high pts win.....

say yes, prick..... 5000 pts, to be posted with yis or a suitable backer, or not posted if said backer guarantees payment of the 5,000.....

now duck and dodge, play-every-day-and-still-can't-out-score/out-cash-others-at-sbr kahkmaster!!!!

and buy a f'n star for your tree, dipshit, and a skirt to go around the bottom, and a f'n couple of fake gifts if you have to....

Auto Donk

hey pussy boy waves, put up how many of your betpoints (1000 minimum) you are willing to risk and what the over/under is on pts i'm away from the leaderboard......

odds you are bound and will pay according to....

get ready, forum....

dodge, duck, squirm, wiggle, pussyboy waves won't do it......
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 12-19-17 at 04:32 PM.

bobbywaves

Too bad Matty & Donkey don't have their priorities str8.

As if they would have cashed in any missed tourney's, just a couple of arrogant bitches.

bobbywaves

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    Oh wait, where am I?
    Funny how you were silent, when I was kicking your ass for 11 months.

bobbywaves

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    hey pussy boy waves, put up how many of your betpoints (1000 minimum) you are willing to risk and what the over/under is on pts i'm away from the leaderboard..
    Who cares how far your off the leaderboard dumb fukk, fact is you're not on it & won't be on it come years end.

Solicit a 1k loan broke dikk, & let's wager if you'll be on annual board come 12/31/17.

Auto Donk

silent on my first 200 trnies played in 2018, yours vs. mine, you f'n pussy....

you accepting that heads up challenge or not?

12 Last