Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Do you think this was a bad play?

I played with this guy many times. He is pretty good, always plays in the 2/5NL games when they have them going. He raises a lot pre-flop so it's hard to put him on a hand and then post flop he doesn't always continuation bet.

Playing 1/2NL Sunday night. I think he was UTG and raised 12 preflop. I was next to act and had AQo and called. I think there were two other people in the pot. The flop comes 9T2 rainbow. He leads out and bets 25. I really thought I had the best hand so I called to see what he is going to do on the turn. The turn comes a "Q", obviously a good card for me. He moves all in instantly (125 approx). I'm pretty sure he is not going to be pushing with KJ, two pairs or sets. I call. He doesn't show and when the river comes he says he missed and I saw him muck 7d8d. He had flush and st8 draws on turn pushed and missed. I flip over my AQ and he starts going nuts.

He angrily asks me how I call 25 with AQ. I told him I thought I had the best hand and I was right I had A high and you had 8 high. Gives me the usually shit how he wants me in the game and I'm the worse player at the table. I thought he was out of line for one thing I have been playing there 2-3 times a week pretty much for the last six months. I played with him a ton of times and I don't think you treat a regular player like that or for that fact any player.

About an hour later I have pocket 99 and I'm UTG and I just limp in because I know its going to be raised. Depending on who raises I may move all in or just call. It's a straddled hand and there are a bunch of callers. Gets back to this same guy now in the straddle and he raises to 34. I'm pretty sure he is just making a play for the dead money. I move all in. Think it was around 180 and everyone folds and he insta calls and has A8o, spikes an ace on the flop and wins.

I say to him you criticize me playing AQ but that right there was the worse play I have seen for a so called experienced player. UTG limp and three bet all in and you call 150 more with A8o.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Good play. Guy has a wide range, raising all the time, c-bet quite often, raising any draws most likely.

You are ahead of him most of the time.

Ask him what moron raises 6x the blind with 78s, i know its a live game but still.....

I guess he wants to make the pot large, make a big bet and "you" should fold since you have nothing...

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

It depends some on the size of the table, but generally if you start flat calling 6x bb raises in UTG +1 you are asking for trouble imo. AQ os is not a hand you want to go up against several players with and I wouldn't get into the habit of calling for stacks with tptk too often unless you had a great read on the player. If you have to play the hand, 3bet to narrow his range and knock some of the other players out of the hand. Your smooth call on the flop would be ok if it was heads up, but if there were 2 other people to act it's iffy. If either of those two raise/squeeze you at any point in the hand you are going to have to let it go.
    Last edited by daneblazer; 10-26-10 at 02:12 PM.

ndntarget
    ndntarget's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think the key thing here is u had a read on the guy and lucky for u the others i guess folded after the flop bet. when ur game is on and ur reads are dead on got to go with ur gut