ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

East Coast Poker Tour - May 2018

Plan on playing these tournament in northeast:

May 6 (1pm). Salem, NH. Cheers - 6max.

May 7 (10am/2pm). Mohegan Sun, CT.

Dover Downs, DE:
    * Tournaments : 5/8 - 715pm. 5/9 - 1115am, 715pm.
    * Also plan on playing some cash over those two days.

If any poster wants to meet up on those days... would be happy to buy a drink for an SBR PRO.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Good luck Chucky!

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14721

Plan on hitting any WSOP events at the Rio in June Chucky?

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    Plan on hitting any WSOP events at the Rio in June Chucky?
    Jay...the tourney I plan to enter starts FRI 6/7. 6max event, $1500 entry.

I don't claim to have a skill-level > than the average guy. Just trying my best.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Good luck Chucky!
    Thx, Opti.

Greenline
    Greenline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

Salem is a great room, but doesn't get a lot of tournament runners. Crazy cash games though. Check out Hampton Falls for Tourneys, it's closer to 95.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Greenline View Post
    Salem is a great room, but doesn't get a lot of tournament runners. Crazy cash games though. Check out Hampton Falls for Tourneys, it's closer to 95.
    Thx, Green. Gonna be in Boston area for weekend.

Playing home-game tournament on Saturday. Fun-time. We gamble on the KY Derby etc.

My friend told me that Salem has a 6max tourney, which is what I focus on. Hoping for the best.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

keep us posted chucky!

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Chuckster shoot me a PM as you get closer to the Delaware trip. I'll drive down and check out the action
    Points Awarded:

mpaschal34 gave USCPHILLYGUY 200 Betpoint(s) for this post.

mpaschal34 gave USCPHILLYGUY 100 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bonzaii
    bonzaii's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 287

Go get em Chucky

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by bonzaii View Post
    Go get em Chucky
    Thx, bonz!

ChuckyTheGoat

Pretty good start:

* Finished 3rd out of 30 in the Boston home-game I referenced in post 7.

ChuckyTheGoat

Wound up winning the New Hamp tourney. 1st in small 15-player tournament. Turned $100 entry into $500 gross, so good return.

ChuckyTheGoat

Will make a few comments and do some hand reviews. But I'm very convinced that 6max is my preferred way to play tournaments.

Early position play is such a night-mare in full ring games. And who wants to play 11% of their hands? How boring.

ChuckyTheGoat

Will do some of MY hand reviews tomorrow, but I will recap hand that my friend played. Hope I get these details correct:

* One thing about live-players. You get a lot of LIMPY players. They just limp w/ wide ranges + play crap.

As a form of balance...they don't raise much. So OCCASIONALLY, they'll show up w/ a huge hand that looks out of place.

Action on the key hand (if I have it right):

PRE-FLOP: One limper in early position. Another limper in Cutoff. My Friend raises button w/ 65(spades). Early position folds, but Cutoff calls.

FLOP: Flop is 743, w/ one Spade. Friend flopped the nuts! And does it on a hand that will look totally out of place - it's hidden! Friend C-bets, surely praying for some action. He gets Check-RAISED for double his bet, and he calls behind.

TURN: Turn pairs the board, w/ 7spades. Friend now has Straight w/ gutshot to Straight-Flush on paired board. Action checks thru.

RIVER: Brick, I think it was a Face-card, non-spade. Cutoff now bets, Friend raises w/ Straight that he has to think is good. Cutoff re-raises All-in (Cutoff had little shorter stack), gets called. Is the Straight good? No...Cutoff had Quad 7's!

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Will do some of MY hand reviews tomorrow, but I will recap hand that my friend played. Hope I get these details correct:

* One thing about live-players. You get a lot of LIMPY players. They just limp w/ wide ranges + play crap.

As a form of balance...they don't raise much. So OCCASIONALLY, they'll show up w/ a huge hand that looks out of place.

Action on the key hand (if I have it right):

PRE-FLOP: One limper in early position. Another limper in Cutoff. My Friend raises button w/ 65(spades). Early position folds, but Cutoff calls.

FLOP: Flop is 743, w/ one Spade. Friend flopped the nuts! And does it on a hand that will look totally out of place - it's hidden! Friend C-bets, surely praying for some action. He gets Check-RAISED for double his bet, and he calls behind.

TURN: Turn pairs the board, w/ 7spades. Friend now has Straight w/ gutshot to Straight-Flush on paired board. Action checks thru.

RIVER: Brick, I think it was a Face-card, non-spade. Cutoff now bets, Friend raises w/ Straight that he has to think is good. Cutoff re-raises All-in (Cutoff had little shorter stack), gets called. Is the Straight good? No...Cutoff had Quad 7's!
    I havn't limped into a pot since 2010....raise, call a raise, reraise or fold 1st orbit

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post
    I havn't limped into a pot since 2010....raise, call a raise, reraise or fold 1st orbit
    Yeah, sweep. The question is how to RESPOND to limpers. SOMETIMES they have a monster that they're including as part of their limping range.

I agree w/ you, tho. The one I hate is Limps in front. If I have a hand that I want to play but not strong enuf to Raise. If I raise, I'm overplaying my hand w/ knowledge that they WON'T fold (unless u go All-in). If u call to "see a flop"...u risk getting squeezed by action behind.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Yeah, sweep. The question is how to RESPOND to limpers. SOMETIMES they have a monster that they're including as part of their limping range.

I agree w/ you, tho. The one I hate is Limps in front. If I have a hand that I want to play but not strong enuf to Raise. If I raise, I'm overplaying my hand w/ knowledge that they WON'T fold (unless u go All-in). If u call to "see a flop"...u risk getting squeezed by action behind.
    i'm no pro by any means but early on in a tourny when blinds are low i wanna see flops with 10j suited 910 89 low pocket pairs as the tournament gets on and blinds go up not going to limp in those pots either going to raise or fold

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    i'm no pro by any means but early on in a tourny when blinds are low i wanna see flops with 10j suited 910 89 low pocket pairs as the tournament gets on and blinds go up not going to limp in those pots either going to raise or fold
    I think most would say that u want to play No Limit Hold-em most of the time w/ Fold Equity. Any player w/ a backbone is going to blow u off that hand. No limpers allowed.

ChuckyTheGoat

Pretty good. Played the Mohegan Sun 2pm. 3rd out of 30. Turned $75 buy-in into $216.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

I think most would say that u want to play No Limit Hold-em most of the time w/ Fold Equity. Any player w/ a backbone is going to blow u off that hand. No limpers allowed.
    let's say early in the tournament blinds are 25-50 and u start w 20k chips, u get pocket aces what are u going to raise too? where i play here it's call call call call call like everybody early on wants to see a flop doesn't matter what u raise pre flop they are going to call, i don't even want pocket aces early on id rather have 9-10 suited

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Chuckster shoot me a PM as you get closer to the Delaware trip. I'll drive down and check out the action
    Philly, I'm looking at my schedule. Going to have a good bit of driving tomorrow.

Will probably NOT make it to Dover for this tournament: * Tournament : 5/8 - 715pm.

Schedule looks more like arrive late on 5/8. Play cash late. Then, I'll play the two tournaments on 5/9.

ChuckyTheGoat

Going to keep the hand reviews to a minimum. Except for some real big hands, I think they can get boring.

Like I referenced above, understand that a lot of tournament players are LIMPY. I'm not saying that YOU should be limpy. But u have to develop a strategy re: how to play vs the limpers.

ChuckyTheGoat

Start w/ some basic ideas/principles:

* Does the player limp EVERYTHING? Or do they limp just some hands?

My opinion is that if you're going to limp...you might as well limp everything. I've seen some decent Vegas tournament players who do this. Their rationale is that they aren't giving away any of their hand-strength pre-flop.

I feel like the players who SCALE their pre-flop bet-size are easier to play against. Unless they are doing something tricky, they are TELLING you their hand-strength. Limp = crap, just like it appears. 2.0x = marginal hand strength. 4.0x = premium hand.

ChuckyTheGoat

In the New Hampshire tournament, I'll recap a few noteworthy hands:

I get QQ in mid-position and raise. I get a late-position caller and a call out of Big Blind. Flop is Q55 w/ two spades!

Top-boat, but also a wet board where opponent can catch a piece or have a big draw. I bet pretty small to not scare anyone off. I do get a call out of big blind.

Turn card is another spade! I now bet even smaller...b/c I'm so scared of the flush that came in. He check-raises me all in and I call. He's drawing dead, and shows A3(spades).

ChuckyTheGoat

Note what I said about limpers above. Some limpers limp w/ their entire range.

Mid-pos limps, button limps. In small-blind, I pick up JJ. I raise almost 4x. Mid-pos ponders and goes all-in for something like 25BB.

Button folds...and later says that he folded TT! I look at the dead $$ and figure that I'm getting about +130 on a call. Don't know how I fold.

I call...and he has AA! Board bricks out and I lose half my stack. Just my two-cents, but I don't know HOW u play Aces like that.

It's the ultimate value hand. Why would you not raise to an amount that you can go All-in on the flop? Are u THAT worried about getting em cracked?

ChuckyTheGoat

Maybe three more noteworthy hands:

* Another mid-pos limp.

I am on button w/ A2(spades). I make a modest raise, and he calls. Just understand what I'm saying about how dubious it is to play vs these limpers.

Flop is gold! Q52 of spades. We're not THAT deep, like 30 BB. I'm not going to get creative here. I'm trying to value bet and drag him along.

Bet-size it really small, like 30% of pot on each street. He calls Flop/Turn. River does not pair the board, so I have the nuts.

I bet small again, which MIGHT be construed as weakness. He ponders and folds. Tells me later that he had TT (again)...and only HE would know why he's limping that hand.

ChuckyTheGoat

* Another limped hand pot. The tough part about playing vs limpers is trying to gauge what bet size it might take to get them out of the pot.

Realize that they don't fold pre-flop. Do u really have to bet All-in to make them Fold?

Table is now 4-handed. Limp from the button and yet another limp from Small Blind. I'm in BB holding 77. Would love to raise this and take it down pre-flop. Just don't think there's a bet-size < All-in that could take it down, so I limp.

Flop is KT7! Small blind bets out for almost pot-size bet. Wet-board w/ up+Down draws, I raise to 3x of his bet.

He ponders + goes all-in. I snap-call. He has only KQ, figuring he has the best possible King in limped pot.

He's drawing to fumes + bricks out. I knock him out, down to L3.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

u should come down to florida u would love our limpers
    Last edited by cincinnatikid513; 05-08-18 at 02:56 AM.

ChuckyTheGoat

I knock out short-stack, so it's down to L2. Here is the winning hand. Understand that heads-up is a different animal, so winning hand is much less than full-ring.

He limps and I raise to 3x w/ AQ(o). He calls, flop is Queen-hi w/ two clubs. I have TPTK w/ backdoor nut-flush club draw.

Not being afraid of the clubs, I don't see too many great calling hands for him, so I bet small. He calls.

Turn is a 3rd-club, 9(clubs). I now have TPTK w/ nut-flush draw. He bets into me...and I call.

Definitely not giving him credit for a flush, since I have the nut-blocker. I'm not raiser him there, as I want him to bluff it off.

River is a low brick. He goes All-in, and I call. He says "You weren't supposed to do that."

He shows JT(o) w/ one club. He was up+down on Turn w/ flush-draw that was no good.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Maybe three more noteworthy hands:

* Another mid-pos limp.

I am on button w/ A2(spades). I make a modest raise, and he calls. Just understand what I'm saying about how dubious it is to play vs these limpers.

Flop is gold! Q52 of spades. We're not THAT deep, like 30 BB. I'm not going to get creative here. I'm trying to value bet and drag him along.

Bet-size it really small, like 30% of pot on each street. He calls Flop/Turn. River does not pair the board, so I have the nuts.

I bet small again, which MIGHT be construed as weakness. He ponders and folds. Tells me later that he had TT (again)...and only HE would know why he's limping that hand.
    Oh sh!t....faulty deck. Has too many 2 of spades.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    Oh sh!t....faulty deck. Has too many 2 of spades.
    Haha. My bad. Maybe the flop was an 8 of spades.

Deck was ok. My typing was wrong.

ChuckyTheGoat

Played Delaware Park 7pm. $50 buyin, bricked out.

ChuckyTheGoat

Only a few noteworthy hands:

* More tales of the limpers. Limped pot, I have AJ(o) in small blind. Raise 5.5x, get four callers. Flop top two-pair. Get two streets of value, check it down on river K which completes a gutshot. She checks and shows A9(o). It's amazing that the limpers simply won't lay down hands.

* I'm on button w/ 33 and 14BB stack. UTG raises 3x, caller in btw. I ponder but fold. Feel like I'm too short to call 3x. Would have called 2x. The caller in mid-pos should impact my decision. Flop is KJ3, and I'm kicking myself. Two players had Top Pair vs Two Pair. Think I would have stacked at least one of them.

ChuckyTheGoat

I exit on AJ(o). Player to my right is super-limpy.

He limps, I go all-in. He calls w/ QT(clubs). His 2-pair beats my pair.

If someone has a great strategy on how to play vs limpers...go ahead and post it. Seemingly takes a 12x raise to get them off the hand.

12 Last