easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

proper bankroll management for ring games

Been a tournament player my entire online poker career and I have always stayed away from ring games. I am finally looking to get into ring games and would like some help with bankroll management as I am not sure what stakes to play at or how much to buy in with. If I am starting with a $1,000 bankroll if I only play ring games what stakes should I start at and what is the usual buy in amount? And how much of an increase in BR should I have before I move up to the next level. Also is their any online articles/books I can read that will further help me with bankroll management and teach me about discipline?

Also I mostly play 6 players max not 9 if that makes a difference
    Last edited by easyliving; 04-29-14 at 11:12 AM.

SharkAA
    SharkAA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6282

Make sure, you have 25-40 BIs for a certain level. In your case, I'd recommend you to play NL 25 and take a shot @ NL 50, when you have about 1,300 dollars. As far as discipline is concerned, you'll have to manage it yourself. Take a break, if you go on tilt and don't chase losses, as it gets worse and worse by doing that. 4+ BI downswing is nothing unusual in cash games, so I hope, you'll get through that, if it happens. GL at the tables.
    Last edited by SharkAA; 04-29-14 at 11:26 AM.

ProlificalD
    Update your status
    ProlificalD's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with what Sharks suggestion. I BRed playing all MTs, SNGs and MTTs. Max MMT BIs 2% of BR and MT 5% of BR.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

alright will start at .25/.50 tables. I have read that the variance is alot less in ring games compared to tournies any truth to this? Also how big of a sample size do I need before I can decide whether playing ring games would be profitable for me in the long run?? I am asking this because I have come to the realization that I simply can not win long term playing tournies whether their mtt or sit n gos and have stopped playing them a while back and finally decided to try my luck with ring games. If I have similar results in ring games I do not want to waste my time playing them if all I am going to do is breakout even or loss money.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    alright will start at .25/.50 tables. I have read that the variance is alot less in ring games compared to tournies any truth to this? Also how big of a sample size do I need before I can decide whether playing ring games would be profitable for me in the long run?? I am asking this because I have come to the realization that I simply can not win long term playing tournies whether their mtt or sit n gos and have stopped playing them a while back and finally decided to try my luck with ring games. If I have similar results in ring games I do not want to waste my time playing them if all I am going to do is breakout even or loss money.
    In general, yes, but you can be a good tournament player and a bad ring game player and it could be the other way around. You need to look into other things when you're grinding online ring games that you normally wouldn't need to if you're playing tournaments. Are you going to use poker software? Are you going to have rakeback? If not, you're going to be playing catch up to everyone else. Table selection will have to become more important to you in order to be successful, especially without software or rakeback.
    If you're coming in completely green at ring games, I'd start lower than 25nl as you can probably expect some bumps to start off. Maybe start at 10 for a week or two until you get the hang of it then move up.

ProlificalD
    Update your status
    ProlificalD's Avatar Become A Pro!

alright will start at .25/.50 tables. I have read that the variance is alot less in ring games compared to tournies any truth to this?
    Of course, in a tourney you might be ITM 15-20% and may not get a payout in 20+ tourneys let alone a top 3 finish.
    Also how big of a sample size do I need before I can decide whether playing ring games would be profitable for me in the long run??
    250,000-500,000 hands

SharkAA
    SharkAA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6282

Yes, the variance is lower. But you'll have to find out, if you can beat NL 50. If you can't, go back to NL 25. You'll see in some time. I'd really recommend you to study through Gripsed poker training videos combined with some poker books. This goes for MTTs and for cash games as well.

inrenokid
    inrenokid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

I think s&gs, are easier then ring games same with mtt, the ring game is harder and more vari. Some cash players have lossing years, the best mtt players are high stakes cash players first. You most find out why U lossing and then correct it changing to ring is no solution. The best way to manage a bank is also learn and play limit holdem were the play of the game is condusive to accounting ( have 200 big blinds). No limit is not a bet won a bet saved game thus you need a lot of money . If you want to start out with as little as possible play om8 fixed limit, the game is much easier then texas holdem a basic game of hand selection were tight make a profit start there no limit is the hardest and if you lost at sit and gos you won't do any better cash.