Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Made horrible river call tonight

1/2 NL Live

I have 700, tight player has about 250 and loose player about 400

I get pocket KK in mid position. I raise to 15 and extremely tight player on button calls and very loose player in BB calls.

Flop comes T94 rainbow

Checks to me I bet 25, both players call. Now I'm very concerned about the tight player. This flop just smacks most callers ranges.

Turn is a J board reads T94J

I'm concerned about the tight player. He don't play many hands and lots of 2 pair possibilities as well as sets. BB checks, I check, tight player checks.

River is a 4 board reads T94J4

Now I feel pretty good about my hand as 2 pair no longer beats me and tight player really didn't slow play. It checks to me and I bet an amount that a single pair or two pair will certainly look me up. $40. Tight player folds and BB check raises to $100.

River check raises in these low limit games are never bluffs and always some nutty type of hand. So I start just making up reasons to call. Could it be a bluff since I bet a tiny amount on the river. What kind of player would check a big hand twice? I'm getting almost 3.5 to 1 on the call. However you just are never good that many times. I doubt if it is even 1 out of 20. I just couldn't find a fold and called and loose guy flips over KQ for a str8.

I just don't get why so many players like to slow play big hands. It's not like you get them left and right. In this case it worked out. But lots of players at this level are show down monkeys and it was pretty risking checking a big hand twice hoping some one bet. Also a very dangerous board, if I happen to have pocket JJ, TT or 99 your going to lose your whole stack slow playing that hand.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

First problem was not hammering flop with a 45-50 dollar bet would got guy shots out.

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

I'm surprised you even got one response from this ridiculous whining bad-beat story of a thread. If every poker player made up new threads when they lost a big hand, there would be 1000's of threads every day. Nobody cares about you or your bad river call and I hope it was a die-hard conservative who turned that straight on you.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Quote Originally Posted by andywend View Post
    I'm surprised you even got one response from this ridiculous whining bad-beat story of a thread. If every poker player made up new threads when they lost a big hand, there would be 1000's of threads every day. Nobody cares about you or your bad river call and I hope it was a die-hard conservative who turned that straight on you.
    I'm not whining you miserable piece of shit. I'm sharing some of my experience in live play so we all can learn and get better.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

i like the turn check, and river is a bad card for you as it helps your hand and it probably didnt help their hands.

c/r on the river is usually the nuts/near nuts but tough to fold against bad player there getting a decent price.

personally i would have bet more then 40 on the river, you could have gotten called by many worse hands.

i dont agree with deem necessarily about the flop, he may call a PSB if the tight player also called anyways, i think 25 on flop was fine, he gets in a mess if he catches the q or k instead of the jack, with you and the loose player so deep no need to build a massive pot with just a pair.