Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

Check it down!!!

It seams people don't understand the commutative value of two big stacks checking down marginal hands when there is a small stack all in and little to no side pot. So often i see these guys shoving into an empty side pot with 55 on a 2 10 j flop just to triple up the all in short stack with qj forcing hands like kq and ak to fold who would end up whinning and in the prosses risk comunitive ing there whole stack to win absolutely nothing. rant over feel free to comment.

darkghost
    darkghost's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10547

In a tourney I agree. In a cash game, let them do what they want.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Depends on how deep in the tournament it is.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Conan ur a loose cannon pal

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    It seams people don't understand the commutative value of two big stacks checking down marginal hands when there is a small stack all in and little to no side pot. So often i see these guys shoving into an empty side pot with 55 on a 2 10 j flop just to triple up the all in short stack with qj forcing hands like kq and ak to fold who would end up whinning and in the prosses risk comunitive ing there whole stack to win absolutely nothing. rant over feel free to comment.
    I agree man. It''s because they're fuk'in idiots at poker and don't have the sense or playin ability to realize they're letting the short stack right back in the game. Of course that's normal fuk'in play around here!

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

I usually determine based on how deep into tourney I am and what my stack size is in comparison to the other big stack.

I will tend to shove more there espeically if it is close to bubble or major increases in prize pool. I want to use the small stack to my advantage. And if he is fairly small and doubles through my large stack oh well.

Conan

this has happened often the case that inspired the rant was on the final table 8 left i think i had AQ ss had JJ and villain had 99 me and villain had 15kish ss had 3.5k all in 99 shoved on 258 flop i fold turn is A ss triples up and ends up 3rd place villain goes out 5th and my awesome poker skills bounced me back to take it down.

Conan

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Conan ur a loose cannon pal
    I know i am in the cash game i have a different strategy for tourneys thats a little more umm conservative

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

I agree with Conan here, checking down when you have a marginal hand to avoid tripling up a short stack is the better play.

If you have better than a marginal hand and is very likely to have the short stack beat, then betting into the dry side pot is the better play.

Cheers!

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

this has happened often the case that inspired the rant was on the final table 8 left i think i had AQ ss had JJ and villain had 99 me and villain had 15kish ss had 3.5k all in 99 shoved on 258 flop i fold turn is A ss triples up and ends up 3rd place villain goes out 5th and my awesome poker skills bounced me back to take it down.
    That particular scenario I'd check it down as there not much benefit to taking out other player there.

eberetta1
    Win some cha-ching
    eberetta1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12587

I am usually on the receiving end of these babies. Tonight I was in 18th place ready to be knocked out, and sure enough a raise after the flop gets people to fold so my little 3's win against 4 overs on the table. Ended up placing 13 because of a big stacks raise that got everyone else to fold. So it let me back in the game and my next hand I get pocket KK's that held up.

I even thanked the raiser tonight. But it happens so frequently to me almost as many times as I bubble, which is 3 times a week.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51461

While I've seen people make alot of stupid dry side pot bluffs, I completely disagree here. 99 made the correct play. He has no idea the other person is ahead of him - why would he want to give your AK/AQ or whatever a free chance to catch on him - the chips in the pot are important also! What if SS had 77 and by checking it on the flop he lost the pot to your AQ when he would have won it by shoving? Sorry but I think he made the right play.

What I agree with is when people make plays like that with absolute air or an underpair to the board - generally then it's very foolish. But if you have top pair or an overpair (as in the case you mention), then you need to protect your hand as winning the pot yourself is also a priority.

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSh View Post
    While I've seen people make alot of stupid dry side pot bluffs, I completely disagree here. 99 made the correct play. He has no idea the other person is ahead of him - why would he want to give your AK/AQ or whatever a free chance to catch on him - the chips in the pot are important also! What if SS had 77 and by checking it on the flop he lost the pot to your AQ when he would have won it by shoving? Sorry but I think he made the right play.

What I agree with is when people make plays like that with absolute air or an underpair to the board - generally then it's very foolish. But if you have top pair or an overpair (as in the case you mention), then you need to protect your hand as winning the pot yourself is also a priority.
    Good points. The key thing is ensuring you take out the short stack.

buyacka1
    buyacka1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Have had this happen on numerous hands I was all in , I would have won the hand but other player pushes into dry pot with nothing and dosen't knock out short stack who eventually mounts massive comeback and nocks me out lol when I would have won the hand if had just checked down. Usually other big stack isn't even on the blinds and has no buisness being in the hand in the first place with his hand holdings.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51461

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
    Good points. The key thing is ensuring you take out the short stack.
    I don't quite agree - it depends on more factors than that. Moving up a spot is nice and all, but if you have say 10k chips and there are 5k chips in the pot - doing what you can to make sure those 5k chips have the best chance to end up in your stack is the priority, as they significantly increase your stack. That would almost certainly have priority over a slightly higher chance of eliminating the short stack and moving up one place.

Again, there are a lot of factors involved in such decisions, but I believe it's over simplifying to claim that eliminating a short stack is of more relevance than winning the pot yourself - again it can vary based upon the precise circumstances.