Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Tough hand for all my money

Playing 1/2 NL last night

I have AsKc in BB with stack of 300

It is limped around to the button who makes it 10. I call as well as two others.

Flop comes KK8 two spades.

We all check to the original raiser who bets 20. I check raise to 50 and one guy snap calls the other thinks a little bit and calls. The original raiser folds. I'm really worried about the guys snap cold call for the 50. I think he would have thought about it a little bit with a spade draw on paired board.

The turn is the 3 spades

so now I have a flush draw too. But I'm really concerned about that guys cold call. I check to the guy that cold called the 50 and he checks and the last guy to act bets 60. I call the 60 and the guy that cold called the 50 moves all in and he has me covered. The guy that bet the 60 goes in the tank so obviously he has a "K" and eventually folds. Now I know the guy is not doing this with any kind of "K" in his hand. I really think the only hand he could have is pocket 88. I flip my hand over to get a reaction and nothing. I think for about a minute and say my hand is no good and throw in muck. People look at me like I was crazy to throw hand away. I had 175 left in my stack and pot was 505. After the hand he racks up and cashes out then comes over and said I made a good fold.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

I think this was one of those instances where he did have pocket eights and you were drawing slim. But calling there everytime would probably be profitable in the long run, esp. @ a live 1-2 table. He could have had KQ, KJ, K10, etc....

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

You're getting almost 3:1 to call. In my opinion you have to call that.

If he had 8's (or 3's) you still had a 16% chance to win. If he hit the flush then you're only down 61/39. If he had a K then you're 80% to win. Those are the three possible hands (assuming he isn't flat out making a play). Two of those three possibilities should be called with 3:1 odds.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

If I had no prior knowledge of the player I was up against, I would be calling in that spot.

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

Horrible fold getting almost 3:1....

Emily_Haines

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLaverty View Post
    Horrible fold getting almost 3:1....
    The guy had pocket 88 genius. He told me the next day. So it was a good fold.

Emily_Haines

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    You're getting almost 3:1 to call. In my opinion you have to call that.

If he had 8's (or 3's) you still had a 16% chance to win. If he hit the flush then you're only down 61/39. If he had a K then you're 80% to win. Those are the three possible hands (assuming he isn't flat out making a play). Two of those three possibilities should be called with 3:1 odds.
    Actually the odds were worse than that because the original raiser said he folded pocket AA.

williamj1975
    williamj1975's Avatar Become A Pro!

It was a good fold but you played your hand bad .Your out of position so your at a disadvantage from the start.You dont really want 4 or 5 callers with ak and then you flop an ace or k and get check raised during the hand later on and have to fold bc you let too many people in cheap.You want to re raise preflop to around 25 and get it down to 2 callers minimum. Normally it takes a decent starting hand for someone to call 25 in a 1-2 game but the donks still think kq,kj,kt are good enough to call with .The reraise will get rid of the small flush draws most of the time and then you can play for stacks and not worry about the spades since you protected your hand preflop.I notice your name is Emily haines so your probably female.This is the biggest mistake females normally make is playing too passively .You have to step up the agression.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by williamj1975 View Post
    I notice your name is Emily haines so your probably female.
    Er... wrong read.

superjeff24
    superjeff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

What he had in that 1 instance doesn't make your fold profitable. In his range he's going to have weaker hands than you a few times, not to mention air every so often.

Further, I almost always tell people 'nice fold' after I bluff them. It's so the dummies feel good about their laydowns because they 'know' I have them.

Also I very highly doubt the other guy laid down trip kings. If anything with a flush draw on flop, trip kings is check raising the flop for sure.