CreaturE
    Thanks to everyone helping me!!!
    CreaturE's Avatar Become A Pro!

J8 utg +1

Is Jack Eight suited worthy of a call UTG +1 (300 blinds/25 ante) with 2250 chips?

I'd really appreciate some feedback.

To me, that is just absolute donk play to the max.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

NO, J8 is not very good in a full table acting UTG. Plus with 2250 chips calling anything is a bad play in my opinion.

kisado
    kisado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38

Just call? No.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

As always, it depends on your opponents. Are the people left to act passive post-flop? How often have they been raising? How many chips do they have left? I find myself able to justify pretty much any play in any position. In a vacuum not knowing anything about this situation I'd fold. Not enough of a chip stack to get cute.

CreaturE

Of course it's not! Ask yisman. He essentially said it was a great play and it made perfect sense. Then later he raised with Q9 offsuit preflop same blinds but with like 4k chips since that jackhole stole mine.

CreaturE

@ Jimmy, he was the lowest stack on the table. The table was fairly strict though (giving very little justification, however, some).

nomeansno
    nomeansno's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

Jimmy there is nothing to take into consideration here, limping in with a hand like this with 7 BBs UTG is a BIG BIG BIG mistake

Pajda
    Pajda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 655

Quote Originally Posted by nomeansno View Post
    Jimmy there is nothing to take into consideration here, limping in with a hand like this with 7 BBs UTG is a BIG BIG BIG mistake
    What he said. You can't limp with 7 BB.

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

Quote Originally Posted by Pajda View Post
    What he said. You can't limp with 7 BB.
    yes u can

not against the rules if I remember well...

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

somewhere between completely very bad and completely terrible play

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

depends largely on the table, especially the blinds and relative chip stacks.

in vacuum:

90% fold
    10% raise

I'm probably never limping.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!
    borednaz's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is why there are so many bad poker players out there. I normally do not like to educate my opponents but this time I will because it should be common knowledge. When your sub 10BB with ante the most common form of thought suggests you have to shove when you pick your hand to play. However there is a highly effective form of play called the Stop and Go.

The idea is preflop you being on the short stack everyone at the table pretty much expects to call you off for all your chips. AKA they expect a shove. When you limp, it looks like you have a holding but your scared to commit to it. Say q10 , j8, maybe even KQ. However when you limp, and board flops in a situation where it's unlikely anyone hit or you did in fact hit. You can shove.

In principal, at this point everyone who came into the flop will expect you hit more than a bluff. Mainly because if you were careful enough with your chips to limp on a marginal hand chances are you won't blow them on a miss. And even if they suspect a bluff at this time it takes them to having to make a hard call for more chips than they planned to which they more than likely are behind on with just over cards. Preflop they plan to call your all in because they feel they are ahead, post flop they know they don't have it so the choice is hard.

Another way of looking at it in simpler terms is if you shoved with J8 & missed your done. No going back. But if you shove with J8 on a non scary board or with a pair, your putting the same money you would or risked anyways in the pot but under a better situation.
    Last edited by borednaz; 06-03-11 at 11:59 AM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

raise to 2249 chips then fold to a reraise
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Corgasm

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by CreaturE View Post
    Of course it's not! Ask yisman. He essentially said it was a great play and it made perfect sense. Then later he raised with Q9 offsuit preflop same blinds but with like 4k chips since that jackhole stole mine.
    You are a fool. I never said it was a great play. I simply said it was defensible, which it is.

I never raised with Q9. Your memory is faulty.

Honestly, you must have some serious issues. I made one call you didn't agree with, and you went nuts, going on and on about how stupid it was.

Then you kept stalking me for the rest of the tournament.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: face

CreaturE

No, I stuck around for 2 hands and said "Jesus christ. Q9?! I gotta leave before my head explodes" and left. Lmfao, my memory is faulty?

yisman

I never raised with Q9. I called someone with Q9.

Nice to see you twisting the facts to try and get people to support you.

I didn't raise with Q9 and I didn't say calling with J8 of clubs was a great play. I know many would play various hands differently than the way I play them.

You were so offended by my calling with a hand you wouldn't have called with that you've resorted to stalking me around the forums.

Hint: if you can't get people to agree with your point of view without lying and misrepresenting the facts, then you probably don't have much of a case.

Pajda
    Pajda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 655

Quote Originally Posted by Czu81 View Post
    yes u can

not against the rules if I remember well...
    I guess I should say you shouldn't

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

lol OP you're kidding right...

but downsouth raises with it so its not entirely false and also if the predicted JJ8 comes on the flop

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!
    borednaz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd stand behind Yisman on just about any poker decision. The guy knows how to play. I gave you all the only lesson I'm giving ever outside of my friends like LOLGuy etc. Creature Trolling will only get you ignored here man.

CreaturE

I'm not trolling. I'm stating facts.

yisman

No, you're twisting facts. You've already stated two things that were just not true.

Whether twisting facts to get people to agree with you is trolling or not is a subjective determination, I suppose...

steveb1164
    steveb1164's Avatar Become A Pro!

If everyone folds to you on the button you can raise. UTG +1 fold for sure.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33450

I'm going to assume it's a full table, but be aware that UTG+1 is worlds different in a 5 handed game than a 10 handed game. Anyway:

Calling with any hand is awful with such a short stack. All your moves should be fold or shove. There are so many people to act behind you, that you should probably have a higher standard than J8 from that position, although there are very rare circumstances in which you may want to shove (like if your opponents are overly tight and your image is rocky). For the most part, though, just fold.