gwiz
    gwiz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

A No limit hand I played - what would you do

the blinds are 1-3 and I started with 120 in my stack

this is a new table so the game is in its first few hands

The previous hand had my opponent running down pocket Q's with A6 on a 986 flop and he now has over 500 in chips

He straddles for 7 the hand we play,,he is in the 10 seat I am in the 2 seat

I look down at KK and make it 17 everyone folds to him and we see the flop come down Ad 10d 4h

he checks to me,,

what to do?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

First of all, raise more preflop if it's straddled. It's no longer a 1/3 game it's now basically 3/7. Second, make a continuation bet of a little more than 1/2 the pot. The next course of action is completely dependent on what he does and what the turn card is.
    Last edited by daneblazer; 05-30-11 at 08:36 AM.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

you check. hard to tell what he has since he just played shit and its early. i check and wait till next card. if he checks next card you bet

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

It really is too early to tell reliably.

I agree with Dane on the course of action but the real problem is what do you do if he does not fold?

The only info you have is that he is a guy that cannot lay down any piece of the flop and therefore if he calls the flop bet or raises, it is quite possible you are behind.

Cheers.

gwiz

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    First of all, raise more preflop if it's straddled. It's no longer a 1/3 game it's now basically 3/7. Second, usually do a continuation bet of a little more than 1/2 the pot. The next course of action is completely dependent on what he does and what the turn card is.
    this was one of my first thoughts.

I was thinking 21 was a better number but I want my hand range to be a possible AK so I don't think I want to go much higher?

I played the hand to show it down because I didn't want to get bet off the hand but I think I should have bet the river,maybe 20

I know checking to the river seems like the wrong play most of the time but after watching him call about 200 with a pair of 6's I really didn't want to play for more against him

As it turned out he ended up showing J2 of diamonds so he had a draw that I might have got paid for or I might have gotten bet off my hand

Resler
    Resler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Three bet should have been 21. Continuation bet half pot after the flop, if he flat calls, then bet the turn and river if no draws like flushes come out. Him showing down weak the hand before shows you that you should have kept betting because he would have chased a draw or called down with middle pair. Only trouble you would be in this hand is if he raises your continuation bet, then you probably have to fold because with the over card and the raise, you are pretty much going to have to stack off. If he has been super bluffy and raising a lot in a lot of spots then maybe you shove over the top if he raises your continuation bet. Really depends on how aggressive he has been in previous hands. Also, I'm assuming this is a cash game and not a tournament.
    Points Awarded:

gwiz gave Resler 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

gwiz

Quote Originally Posted by Resler View Post
    Three bet should have been 21. Continuation bet half pot after the flop, if he flat calls, then bet the turn and river if no draws like flushes come out. Him showing down weak the hand before shows you that you should have kept betting because he would have chased a draw or called down with middle pair. Only trouble you would be in this hand is if he raises your continuation bet, then you probably have to fold because with the over card and the raise, you are pretty much going to have to stack off. If he has been super bluffy and raising a lot in a lot of spots then maybe you shove over the top if he raises your continuation bet. Really depends on how aggressive he has been in previous hands. Also, I'm assuming this is a cash game and not a tournament.
    this is cash and I think you are right about betting,he did show a willingness to gamble,the thing is the game just started and I had no prior experience with him other than that hand

something I forgot to mention is that he called a raise with the A6 hand then raised a bet on the flop with a pair of 6's and an overcard so his type of gamble that I watched wasn't the type of gamble I wanted to be taking facing that board

After that hand he made mention of the fact he thought the guy with QQ might have had AK and that is why he played his hand the way he did

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think your raise was ok. you got what you wanted one caller. that is your goal with aa kk is to get 1-2 callers on a large table. The ace on the flop of courses makes things interesting because he showed in his first hand he will play a6 and such hands.

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

bet 60%. Very good test bet 60 to 65% is the magic number

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

players sometimes pick up good hand on straddles... but first a test bet on the flop and watch for call speed and such and ofcourse gut feeling

steveb1164
    steveb1164's Avatar Become A Pro!

You bet. If he doesn't have an ace, he should fold. If he calls or raises, check or call the rest of the way.

IGotIt500
    IGotIt500's Avatar Become A Pro!

Seems like this guy will call anything so i'll proceed with precaution. There was a straight and a flush draw. Also there was an over card. I would of bet previous bet + (anywhere from 1% - 50% of last bet) for the flop. So that would be 17 + ( 1 - 8 ) for the flop. If he raises here, I will probably lay it down. If he calls, I would do the same for the turn on my bet. Previous bet + ( 1%-50% previous bet). If he calls, i'll check down the river. If he raises and its pot odds to call, then i'll call otherwise fold.

gwiz

I played some more with this guy tonight.

I wasn't involved in this hand but it was interesting

The flop comes Qs7c5c and there is a little action 3 guys see the turn come a 2,

so the little blind bets about 50 and the action player raises it to 150 and gets called,the river is a 5 and the little blind checks and the action guy checks so we get to see both hands

the little blind had a 3c4c and the action player took down a big pot

with seven duece off suit

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by gwiz View Post
    the blinds are 1-3 and I started with 120 in my stack

this is a new table so the game is in its first few hands

The previous hand had my opponent running down pocket Q's with A6 on a 986 flop and he now has over 500 in chips

He straddles for 7 the hand we play,,he is in the 10 seat I am in the 2 seat

I look down at KK and make it 17 everyone folds to him and we see the flop come down Ad 10d 4h

he checks to me,,

what to do?
    you bet and see how strong he is.. he either has ace or not..

and I would have bet preflop much harder than you did... for that small, you're just asking for someone to stay in with weak ace and stick you

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

do you have the king of diamonds, thats kind of a big piece of information.

gwiz

that is a good question Trinity and I don't think I had the K of diamonds.