ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

All 11 ub pros fired

Last Friday, Costa Rican officials with the Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) conducted a raid on the offices of Absolute Poker and UB, two of the online poker sites under indictment by federal authorities in the U.S. for money laundering, bank and wire fraud and illegal gambling activity. This followed word that the Blanca Games Inc. (“Blanca”), parent company of Absolute/UB, would have to file for bankruptcy. Today, not surprisingly, Blanca announced that all U.S. sponsored pros would have their contracts terminated.
    "Recently, Absolute Poker and UB ceased their U.S.-facing operations due to legal developments in the United States. To ensure the on-going viability of the business, it has been necessary to downsize certain aspects of Absolute Poker's and UB's operations. These efficiency measures have been taken to enable the brands to continue to operate their non-U.S.-facing business.
    "These actions are the result of the severe impact of 'Black Friday' on the business, and these efficiency measures have negatively affected not only the financial position of the brands, but also their staff and personnel. Regrettably, the negative effect of 'Black Friday' has extended to the Company's highest profile group of poker professionals, known as 'Team UB.' Consequently, Blanca's executive management team today informed its roster of sponsored pros that, in accordance with the provisions of their agreements, their contracts have been terminated. Each of the ten Team UB pros, plus one player representing Absolute Poker, has received personal notification that their sponsorship arrangement with Blanca's respective online poker room is now invalid.
    "This was a difficult task for Blanca's management, and we are very disappointed that we have been compelled to sever ties with our sponsored pros. Over the years, the Company has been successful in gathering a group of young, extraordinarily talented and brand-appropriate poker professionals who have proudly sported its logos. We are truly saddened that circumstances have dictated this course of action, and we regret that we are no longer in a position to partner with our sponsored pros, or to provide them with a source of income for playing the game that they love. We appreciate their significant time and dedication shared with us, and we thank them for the loyalty and patience they have continued to show us even during the unsettling events of the past few weeks. We respect and admire them for their many accomplishments, both at the poker tables and away from them, and we will always be grateful for their valuable contributions to building the UB and Absolute Poker brands and creating a rock-solid community at the pair of online poker rooms."
    The full list of UB sponsored pros who are now out of a job is as follows: Joe Sebok, Prahlad Friedman, Eric "Basebaldy" Baldwin, Maria Ho, Brandon Cantu, Tiffany Michelle, Scott Ian, "Hollywood" Dave Stann, Adam "Roothlus" Levy, Bryan Devonshire and Trishelle Cannatella.
    The two most famous names associated with UB were Phil Hellmuth and Annie Duke. The two had been with the company for almost ten years and had co-hosted the UB-sponsored TV show, the Ultimate Poker Showdown. Both pros terminated their relationship with UB in separate actions last December.
    Looking to replace Duke and Hellmuth, UB turned to some younger players who had come to fame with their brash personalities on ESPN’s WSOP broadcasts, including Prahlad Friedman and Tiffany Michelle, as well as pro Joe Sebok, alternately best known as Barry Greenstein’s son.
    The response from the affected pros has been spare, but not muted. Bryan Devonshire tweeted, "UB released me today, has promised return of funds. Go f**k yourself DOJ. We beg for tax and regulation and you claim we're criminal. FFFUU." Adam Levy went to Twitter announcing, "I'm a free agent suckahhhs!” while Eric Baldwin also took a more humorous approach, tweeting, "What a relief it is not having to work two jobs anymore!" Rocker-turned-poker player Scott Ian took the most optimistic approach when he tweeted, "Not gonna stop me from playing."
    One UB sponsored player who did not comment about the terminations was Joe Sebok who instead issuing a long statement about the indictments and how they have affected UB and its players.
    Meanwhile the two indicted principals of UB and Absolute Poker, Scott Tom and Brent Bickley, who were in large part a subject of last week's raid in Costa Rica, have yet to be located.

king
    king's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

I wouldn't call some of them pro's as some don't really make money in the poker world playing poker, but are known for doing well at one tournament or on tv. Trishelle Cannatella is not known to being a pro or a poker player. Just some lady who went to a reality tv show on mtv the real world. Tiffany Michelle not a pro also just a news interviewer/reporter from pokernews in the past and got lucky that one year in the wsop, after that nothing she won.

So how are these people a pro at poker.

1949's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1648

glad I took my $$$ from UB already

Richards
    Richards's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

What was the purpose of the raid? I seem to have missed that point the the article.

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

only good thing about the whole deal is that ub was one of the sites

goldman40
    goldman40's Avatar Become A Pro!

hope everyone got there money from that sits

Lockitup1x
    Lockitup1x's Avatar Become A Pro!

that sucks hope nobody got burned

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

still have some $$ left there...

MarlinsFan2212
    MarlinsFan2212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

After Tiffany Michelle called clock on Paul Snead in the WSOP, I could never feel bad for her if something bad poker related happened to her.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by MarlinsFan2212 View Post
    After Tiffany Michelle called clock on Paul Snead in the WSOP, I could never feel bad for her if something bad poker related happened to her.
    She's just something nice to look at. She isn't that great of a player. Plus, she looks a little like Chyna

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Supposedly UB/AP have reached an agreement with the DOJ... http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ce-1512766.htm

Still able to sit and play real money games there though...

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by LVHerbie View Post
    Supposedly UB/AP have reached an agreement with the DOJ... http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ce-1512766.htm

Still able to sit and play real money games there though...
    You're able or unable?

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    You're able or unable?
    Yes, still can play there... They haven't blocked US players from the tables just cashing in and out...

count da money
    count da money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 88

i saw this coming i'm moving to vegas fu usa

pinchylarue
    *** SBR'S WORST POKER PLAYER ***
    pinchylarue's Avatar Become A Pro!

dude scott ian isn't a pro. hes the guitarist for anthrax.
    I have played live poker with him before. hes definately not a pro

garretman
    garretman's Avatar Become A Pro!

the pros will have to use of there own money to pay for tournys now lol