King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    Guys, the fighters are so far superior than even 5 years ago is why the fights are boring. It is an inevitable evolution that the ground game will dominate, therefore, everyone worth his salt has a ground game and the stand up fights are diminishing. We need rule changes if anything. To say the fighters are getting worse is ridiculous. These fighters are tactical not just tough but that equates to a much more cerebral but less exciting fight.
    Most fighters now are good at every aspect of mma but not great at one aspect.... Back then it was martial arts vs martial arts... Now it's generic fighter vs generic fighter...

kiefynugs
    Update your status
    kiefynugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    Most fighters now are good at every aspect of mma but not great at one aspect.... Back then it was martial arts vs martial arts... Now it's generic fighter vs generic fighter...
    what does this even mean? They all have very different styles apparently you just don't notice so you choose to make broad generalizations about a sport.

This thread is getting stupid

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

This thread never was smart

Poppa Catfish

and back then it was a big long infomercial for BJJ, if you really thing Art Jimmerson represented all that was boxing then LOL right in your face, bro.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by kiefynugs View Post
    what does this even mean? They all have very different styles apparently you just don't notice so you choose to make broad generalizations about a sport.

This thread is getting stupid
    What's not to understand, back then it was kickboxer vs bjj, etc.....Now it's a little stand up and go for wrestling without finishing... Same generic fighter...

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by omalley21 View Post
    Usually when two wrestlers fight, the wrestling cancels out and they trade bombs.
    Exactly! WHich proves my point

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

What's not to understand, back then it was kickboxer vs bjj, etc.....Now it's a little stand up and go for wrestling without finishing... Same generic fighter...
    How many fighters can u actually name who u perceive to be "generic" and who do a little stand-up and go for wrestling...out of interest?

Poppa Catfish

Back then it was unskilled guy vs McDojo guy all the way up until they fought Shamrock or Gracie.

Who of the old guard impressed you? Art? The capoeira guy? The ninja? Maybe the guy who invented his own martial art and got KO'd due to punches to the balls? I know, maybe it was the sumo wrestler!

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    How many fighters can u actually name who u perceive to be "generic" and who do a little stand-up and go for wrestling...out of interest?
    nik lentz and randy come to mind.

Poppa Catfish

Ben Askren, Diego Sanchez, Brock Lesnar, Jake Shields and many many more

He has a point, then again we used to see a lot of different individual types of ways to shoot free throws; from underhand (Rick mother ******* Barry) on to jump shots. Now everyone shoots the boring old way.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by the_situation View Post
    Some fights are yea...I only like watching guys like Jones/Silva/Rampage/Rua/Edgar/Velasquez/Brock etc...i hate guys that lay and pray for decisions.
    dont hate on the lay and prayers... hate on the fighters who dont bother learning to defend it.

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    dont hate on the lay and prayers... hate on the fighters who dont bother learning to defend it.
    The guys holding on for dear life, laying there and praying that the ref will restart the fight on to their feet. I agree completely, excellent point.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

your right i'm sick of todays "generic fighters" like GSP, Silva, Velasquez, Rua. I long for the days when fighters were "great at one aspect" like Tank Abbott

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by jin2daj View Post
    nik lentz and randy come to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    Ben Askren, Diego Sanchez, Brock Lesnar, Jake Shields and many many more

He has a point, then again we used to see a lot of different individual types of ways to shoot free throws; from underhand (Rick mother ******* Barry) on to jump shots. Now everyone shoots the boring old way.
    Yee Lentz and Randy are good examples, Ben Askren and Shields I guess as well. A lot of Sanchez fights end up being FOTN though, and Lesnar hasnt had many boring fights...both Mir fights had finishes, the Herring fight wasnt boring, finishes Randy, finished by Cain? Of course people are gonna say Fitch, Maynard and GSP as well. But in the grand scheme of things it's a small proportion in relation to the amount of fighters out there at the highest level. They just happen to be some of the best most successful fighters so is highlighted more.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!

you pay for it?

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33486

Here's my idea to make UFC more entertaining: fix the matches, but tell people it's real. "Fight" more often, and concentrate on using brief promos from the fighters to draw in crowds while using athletic in ring moves to keep them coming back. Totally scrap the aspects of the matches that are boring to watch, and replace it with fictional drama between the two guys in the cage. Basically, make it the way pro wrestling was in the 40s and 50s.

kiefynugs
    Update your status

Players Talk is exactly like sherdog... never visited until now

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha very true!

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

God forbid Someone not be in love with the almighty ufc. People are allowed to have opinions. lol

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5626

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here's my idea to make UFC more entertaining: fix the matches, but tell people it's real. "Fight" more often, and concentrate on using brief promos from the fighters to draw in crowds while using athletic in ring moves to keep them coming back. Totally scrap the aspects of the matches that are boring to watch, and replace it with fictional drama between the two guys in the cage. Basically, make it the way pro wrestling was in the 40s and 50s.
    This is the recipe and disaster is the entree.

ttrace35

Ok its official. If you haven't been happy with recent ufc events, you have to stop posting here and go to sherdog. Thanks.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Ok its official. If you haven't been happy with recent ufc events, you have to stop posting here and go to sherdog. Thanks.
    Think he's referring to players talk in general Trace, there's a lot of nonense and ridiculous threads in there regardless of this one. And this thread itself wasnt retarded, it's fine that some people think the UFC is gettin boring, it's just the rationals behind why some of the people think it's boring which is retarded!

ttrace35

Players talk is where legends are made.

gdoom
    gdoom's Avatar Become A Pro!

No, when the UFC first got started, that was the shit..They used to fight to someone was dead or gave up...We liked watching that!

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by gdoom View Post
    No, when the UFC first got started, that was the shit..They used to fight to someone was dead or gave up...We liked watching that!
    100% right. Ufc built its name off these type of fights. If ufc started out with these boring wrestling matches, it wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is today. That's why I laugh when these guys are arguing how great ufc is today.

kiefynugs
    Update your status

That certainly is a formula for success but it does not describe the style of even a quarter of UFC fights.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

So much stupidity in this thread.

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

strikeforce is def comin up tho with this april card

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    So much stupidity in this thread.
    Please enlighten us with some of your vast knowledge.

Varker
    Varker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 353

its all about matchups, some won't be as entertaining as others, its part of every sport.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Varker View Post
    its all about matchups, some won't be as entertaining as others, its part of every sport.
    agreed

UFC is too fuken good to be true...Guys beating the shit out of each other and we can bet and watch it

Hey there is a decent card for free tonight on Versus guys!

Kampman-Dirty Diego Sanchez

CB Dollaway-Munoz

Natal-Sakara

and Bowles-Page are the 4 fights I see listed in the tv guide

I just checked and sbr book has 2 of these fights plus Tavares-Roller

purecarnagge
    purecarnagge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

GSP spend so much time riding people in the octagon, he's either gay or bisexual. Dude can't finish a fight if his life depended on it, but he'll sure ride that ass

Jakesteen
    Jakesteen's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by NLackman87 View Post
    The spiders kick to the face was bad ass.
    Steven segal taught it to him and then he trained to get it right. A real martial artist and Legitimate Black Belt taught him the technique that in a flash ended that fight. That's what I'm talkin' about.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by purecarnagge View Post
    GSP spend so much time riding people in the octagon, he's either gay or bisexual. Dude can't finish a fight if his life depended on it, but he'll sure ride that ass
    UFC promotes this type of fighting because they have so much love for the takedown. Guy takes someone down and does nothing but lay there. Ref doesn't stand them up(7-8 years ago, much quicker ref stand-ups). Guy wins the round and the fight this way. Crowd is booing uncontrollably, buy guy doesn't care. He won.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Clay guida is one of the only fighters that is actually fun to watch. Dude is high intensity the whole way.

Today ufc kinda sucks compared to the old ufc back in the mid 90's. Back then there were no gloves, no weight classes, and you could wear a fukkin karate uniform if u wanted. Also back then I don't think the refs could stop the fights. It was either stopped by tapout or throwing the towel.

I miss the old ufc but I guess the current ufc is better than nothing. If it wasn't for Dana white the ufc would be dead

100% agree---i grew up watching the original ufc's and this shit just does not compare but its all we got---hes trying to get it on ESPN and make it respectful rather than staying true to fighting--- the originators of UFC quit when eye gouging was banned

First 12345 Last