JACK MATZ
    JACK MATZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2213

Still better then boxing.
    I love MMA.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5590

Guys, the fighters are so far superior than even 5 years ago is why the fights are boring. It is an inevitable evolution that the ground game will dominate, therefore, everyone worth his salt has a ground game and the stand up fights are diminishing. We need rule changes if anything. To say the fighters are getting worse is ridiculous. These fighters are tactical not just tough but that equates to a much more cerebral but less exciting fight.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Poppa Catfish

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

Quote Originally Posted by yurnero View Post
    there are many good fighters and they are fairly entertaining, but there are only a very small handful of elite fighters that i would actually be willing to pay money to see (silva, GSP) and a few others that are not as elite but very entertaining (brock, vintage iceman), and currently i am also willing to pay for jon jones, the hype machine's got me the problem really is that they are having a UFC match every month and a lot of the fights just are lame. though they are very good fighters, they are not elite and tend to not be as entertaining, like lil wayne the UFC is watered down now and not what it once was though every now and then, you get a great match
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    This is a great analogy. Lil wayne. Pure oversaturation of the market.
    they have 7 weight divisons i'd say around 15 fighters in each, who need to fight about 3 times a year. Thats alot of fights they have to put on, not all of them can be Griffin/Bonnar

this "oversaturation" is the only reason you even know of Jon Jones right now. If they had fewer events a guy like Jones who had less than 2 years fighting experience at the time, would never get a shot in the UFC at this time

If they have 2 events a month so what, who dosn't watch 24 baseball, football basketball games in a year.

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

I hate to say it...but the matchmaking is really hurting the UFC...so are the main events they are using.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    they have 7 weight divisons i'd say around 15 fighters in each, who need to fight about 3 times a year. Thats alot of fights they have to put on, not all of them can be Griffin/Bonnar

this "oversaturation" is the only reason you even know of Jon Jones right now. If they had fewer events a guy like Jones who had less than 2 years fighting experience at the time, would never get a shot in the UFC at this time

If they have 2 events a month so what, who dosn't watch 24 baseball, football basketball games in a year.
    Exactly. There would be no new stars and the sport would die off. Not to mention that a new guy wouldn't be able to support himself and train correctly on one fight a year (with much lower sponsorship money due to him never being on tv I will add).

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    Exactly. There would be no new stars and the sport would die off. Not to mention that a new guy wouldn't be able to support himself and train correctly on one fight a year (with much lower sponsorship money due to him never being on tv I will add).
    And more importantly we'd have less fights to bet on!

Poppa Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Most of these trolls don't actually bet on fights, bro. Bad point

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

It wasnt bad of a fight night IMO, the under cards really made it out of the main event so cant really complain.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Most of these trolls don't actually bet on fights, bro. Bad point
    ha shit yeah, gd point!

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Between all the different organizations there would still be plenty of fights to bet on. And would be easier to cap imo. Less fights to focus on.

kiefynugs
    Update your status
    kiefynugs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Wouldn't reducing the number of events to have the biggest fights possible just increase the amount of training time these guys get, and thus further the problem you all are apparently have with stalemate draws and wars of attrition in the octagon?

Really if you have a problem with the way fights are fought, then you have to change the rules.

Poppa Catfish

Between all the different organizations there would still be plenty of fights to bet on. And would be easier to cap imo. Less fights to focus on.
    err that goes both ways there champ. Less fights for the bookmakers to have to cap as well, less undercard fights where the books have it completely wrong, far less angles to attack the books. Assuredly, this is a bad thing

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

What, 1 strikeforce event a month if lucky, 1 shark fights/mfc every couple months? Moreover, dont get prop bets for these cards apart from main event and main card on a big strikeforce card (which is once every 3 months or sumin)...would suck balls!
    Last edited by Vaughany; 03-01-11 at 09:34 AM.

Poppa Catfish

old people like their events spaced 4 months apart, and their "tournaments" lasting 2-4 years.

Shit, maybe Strikeforce should have called this the Heavyweight Olympics

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

too many fights, same ol stuff. a few fighters are fun to watch but im not as hyped about fights as i use to be. still enjoy watching them, drinking with some buddies, bbqin

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
    I don't think the UFC is getting boring. I think it's all about the matchmaking. If you put 2 guys in there who love to stand and bang then you're probably going to get an exciting fight. If you get someone in there who is intent on grinding out decisions then it might be boring. We need better matchmaking. I really believe Joe Silva is losing his touch.

I never thought he had it (Silva). Most overrated guy in sports. CB Dollaway against Mark Munoz. Who wants to see two wrestlers go at it? And this fight made the main card and then u see Palahres/Branch on the undercard . That fight should be ten times better than Dollaway/Munoz

Jakesteen
    Jakesteen's Avatar Become A Pro!

They need to bring in some real martial artists with legitimate black belts that can really fight instead of college wrestlers and construction workers. LOL

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    I never thought he had it (Silva). Most overrated guy in sports. CB Dollaway against Mark Munoz. Who wants to see two wrestlers go at it? And this fight made the main card and then u see Palahres/Branch on the undercard . That fight should be ten times better than Dollaway/Munoz
    Maynard vs Edgar 2 was a fight between two perceived wrestlers... how did tht turn out?

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

I hope Anderson Silva fights Georges St-Pierre before 2011 is up.

ttrace35

old people like their events spaced 4 months apart, and their "tournaments" lasting 2-4 years.

Shit, maybe Strikeforce should have called this the Heavyweight Olympics
    Why keep hating on strikeforce? Its free. If Dana didn't have this bullshit card on ppv, I'm sure the op wouldn't have started this thread. Strikeforce has been putting on better, more exciting shows in the past year or so. Its a fact.

Poppa Catfish

Last time I checked Showtime wasn't free

ttrace35

What, 1 strikeforce event a month if lucky, 1 shark fights/mfc every couple months? Moreover, dont get prop bets for these cards apart from main event and main card on a big strikeforce card (which is once every 3 months or sumin)...would suck balls!
    I see your point. As far as having something to bet. I bet other sports so that satisfies my craving. I'm just sick of Dana trying to rape the people with these bullshit events on ppv. Also. You guys are killing me. Making it seem like you guys are betting major bucks. You guys bet $10 - $20 bucks a fight. You and catfish make it seem like you are making serious money because of these events.

Poppa Catfish

Would you look at the big spender who is bitching about a $50 ppv

NLackman87
    NLackman87's Avatar Become A Pro!

The spiders kick to the face was bad ass.

ttrace35

Would you look at the big spender who is bitching about a $50 ppv
    I didn't say I was a big spender. But you guys are hilarious. Making it seem like your betting real money. This is just recreational to you guys. If they had less fights, just up your bets to 40 - 50 bucks and you'll be fine. I have every sports package and my directv bill is $250 - $300 every month. Why pay extra $50 for nonsense. I'd rather bet the $50 than watching the bullshit.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I see your point. As far as having something to bet. I bet other sports so that satisfies my craving. I'm just sick of Dana trying to rape the people with these bullshit events on ppv. Also. You guys are killing me. Making it seem like you guys are betting major bucks. You guys bet $10 - $20 bucks a fight. You and catfish make it seem like you are making serious money because of these events.
    It's all about what u make in relation to what u stake tho Trace...I've made over 100% from my original bankroll in space of 6 months. Just because somebody bets $1000 rather than $100 on a fight doesnt mean they are a better gambler or going to make more money in the long run. All depends on ur style of betting, I look for arbs and admittedly conservative. Moreover, I had over a grand at stake for MFC, BAMMA, and 127 at the wknd anyway!
    Last edited by Vaughany; 03-01-11 at 10:35 AM.

Poppa Catfish

So 10-20 bucks isn't serious money, but $50 puts you into the poor house, you can't have it both ways. And you have no clue what I bet on MMA, so by all means continue to comment away, as always its good for laughs.

I do have to laugh at the fact that you don't have enough friends to pitch in, usually I only pay 5-10, or its completely free (well free-ish since I pay the through the ******* roof gym fees)

poor Tracey

ttrace35

So 10-20 bucks isn't serious money, but $50 puts you into the poor house, you can't have it both ways. And you have no clue what I bet on MMA, so by all means continue to comment away, as always its good for laughs.

I do have to laugh at the fact that you don't have enough friends to pitch in, usually I only pay 5-10, or its completely free (well free-ish since I pay the through the ******* roof gym fees)

poor Tracey
    What are you talking about? I didn't say $50 puts me in the poor house. Doesn't mean I'm just giving away. I'm going to bones/shogun at $160 a ticket. So don't talk to me about money. Just because I'm no fool to pay $50 for penn fitch, doesn't mean I have money issues. And I don't need anybody to chip in. Your just being stupid because you now realize that there are a bunch of people that feel just like me. I didn't start this thread.

richyrich8478
    richyrich8478's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I still love it. More entertaining than boxing

RaiderNation MMA
    RaiderNation MMA's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah boxing blows

omalley21
    omalley21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Maynard vs Edgar 2 was a fight between two perceived wrestlers... how did tht turn out?
    Usually when two wrestlers fight, the wrestling cancels out and they trade bombs.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakesteen View Post
    They need to bring in some real martial artists with legitimate black belts that can really fight instead of college wrestlers and construction workers. LOL
    they do... but they just lose to the wrestlers.

the state of mma just needs to change. as people develop better TDD in response to the increasing Lnp/Gnp, we'll see more standup.

the whole thing is cyclical. just wait it out.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didn't say I was a big spender. But you guys are hilarious. Making it seem like your betting real money. This is just recreational to you guys. If they had less fights, just up your bets to 40 - 50 bucks and you'll be fine. I have every sports package and my directv bill is $250 - $300 every month. Why pay extra $50 for nonsense. I'd rather bet the $50 than watching the bullshit.
    there are people out there who WILL spend 50$ on fitch/penn. just because its not worth it to you doesnt mean you ahve the right to speak for everyone. dont buy it! then UFC ppv numbers will fall and if enough people feel the same way as you do, then the ufc will realize there are too many cards and need to cut some back.

i personally will gladly pay 55$ (for HD) each and every time.

robotralph
    robotralph's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Way too much decisions now a days. Strikers are a dying breed in the UFC.

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

Some fights are yea...I only like watching guys like Jones/Silva/Rampage/Rua/Edgar/Velasquez/Brock etc...i hate guys that lay and pray for decisions.

First 12345 Last