easywinner
    easywinner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

Give me some advice..

What would you guys do if you were young, single, had a bit of savings, had no strings or anything tying you down or holding you back and didn't like where you lived? I fit this description and I've grown to not really enjoy where i live anymore or the direction my life is going i guess. Too much family drama and problems with so called "friends" have been happening to me among other things and i dislike the weather and vibe of the place i currently live, the midwest. Give me some suggestions please, i need a change and I'm down for anything really. I was previously in the military and have traveled around so I'm not scared to give anything a try. I just want to be more relaxed and enjoy life and the place i live more. Thanks.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6196

Move to costa rica and thank me later.

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by easywinner View Post
    What would you guys do if you were young, single, had a bit of savings, had no strings or anything tying you down or holding you back and didn't like where you lived? I fit this description and I've grown to not really enjoy where i live anymore or the direction my life is going i guess. Too much family drama and problems with so called "friends" have been happening to me among other things and i dislike the weather and vibe of the place i currently live, the midwest. Give me some suggestions please, i need a change and I'm down for anything really. I was previously in the military and have traveled around so I'm not scared to give anything a try. I just want to be more relaxed and enjoy life and the place i live more. Thanks.
    something similar here pal...will be making a move in the next couple of months

tkim8404
    tkim8404's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 982

Go anywhere that makes living more comfortable. Worst comes to worst you can always go back.

easywinner

Quote Originally Posted by TR88 View Post
    something similar here pal...will be making a move in the next couple of months
    Do you know where you're moving yet or just planning?

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Before most people relocate, they consider a little something called a job. Do you have (or need to have) one?

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

The midwest sucks, move to the east coast.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

was in similar situation as you at your age, was offered job abroad, never returned

all the family drama drowns you, get away from it as far as you can

Outlawdino
    Outlawdino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tkim8404 View Post
    Go anywhere that makes living more comfortable. Worst comes to worst you can always go back.

I agree, you can always go back...give it a try while you are young and obviously interested in giving it a try.

slatter
    slatter's Avatar Become A Pro!

There are so many great cities. Depending on what you like, Chicago/LA/NYC might be up your alley. I've heard great things about Seattle, Portland and Austin (TX). And everything's warmer in the south, so maybe Charleston, SC?

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you have a degree or special skills getting a job anywhere shouldnt be a problem. Just get in your car & start driving. If you have enough savings to live on for a little while just take your time & live in red roof inns for a while traveling from town to town until you find a town you like & want to stay a while or are forced to stay a while & pull some time

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by JuicedUp View Post
    Move to costa rica and thank me later.
    this. definitely. i did it back in 2004, and i don't regret one minute of it. best time i've ever had in my life.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Live in Chicago...Don't really care for it, but don't want to leave since I enjoy my work. Back when I was 19, I hated my g/f, didn't care too much for college, already had my car paid off and saved a little bit. I thought about packing my skis/snowboard and a couple suitcases and move out to Colorado.

I say MOVE. I regret never moving out there, but content with being here because my job and family/gf.

JohnnyD4916
    JohnnyD4916's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 731

I would say move, don't regret staying years later. Don't think what could have happened, make it happen!

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

If you have an interest in professional poker I can make you excellent offer as I am looking to adopt three.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Pack it up and move on. If you don't like the weather, get on the road headed south or west and stop anywhere you've heard is a cool place to live.

PDW
    PDW's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would give Las Vegas a try.

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

I left Chicago when I was in my mid-20's. Loved the city but the weather, taxes, traffic, etc was getting old. I moved to Greenville, So Carolina. I used to travel to SC to play golf & just decided to move here. The weather is great, people are so nice/friendy, cost of living is more affordable and overall pace / quality of life just feels healthier. I considered Vegas but decided no matter where I lived, I can always visit Vegas rather than live there.

I've been in SC now for 15 years and still love it. I get back to Chicago every few years to see family / old friends, but I can assure you that very visit back "home" makes me feel so glad I left.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

swaindexter
    swaindexter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4563

You do not get many chances like this in life....I envey you. Good Luck in what YOU decide....

PLAYA-PLAYA
    PLAYA-PLAYA's Avatar Become A Pro!

TWENTY YEARS FROM NOW----YOUR ONLY REGRETS WILL Be "WHAT YOU DID NOT DO"------GO FOR IT----SEE WHAT IS OVER THE NEXT HILL

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

easy winner your thinking too fukkin much

you look like you might end up a fukkin weeder

easywinner go out and fukkin gamble and bang broads

stop thinking you fuk and God Bless You

swaindexter

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    easy winner your thinking too fukkin much you look like you might end up a fukkin weeder easywinner go out and fukkin gamble and bang broads stop thinking you fuk and God Bless You
    WOW Good advice..................

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

If you don't mind not having access to a great job, maybe start a business of your own, it starts with Costa

swaindexter

Easywinner: Just asking what was your MOS? I was an 11B most of my years in, loved it!!

clint227
    clint227's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 342

Colorado is where its at

easywinner

Quote Originally Posted by no1here View Post
    If you have an interest in professional poker I can make you excellent offer as I am looking to adopt three.
    I'm interested in poker. Can you elaborate on this more? Thanks.

Also thanks everyone for your input and suggestions, they have been helpful to me.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Live in Chicago...Don't really care for it, but don't want to leave since I enjoy my work. Back when I was 19, I hated my g/f, didn't care too much for college, already had my car paid off and saved a little bit. I thought about packing my skis/snowboard and a couple suitcases and move out to Colorado.

I say MOVE. I regret never moving out there, but content with being here because my job and family/gf.

You LOVE sweeping up in a machine shop??

........makes me kinda miss Bombers.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

Boulder, Colorado. Reno/Lake Tahoe, Nevada. San Francisco. Portland, Oregon. If you are thinking out of the country -- which I don't really much recommend in your situation -- look at Thailand. Those are some places I like anyway.

You're free. Go.

southside sox
    southside sox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 368

I say go for it. Like others say you can always go back if you don't find what your looking for. Myself and my family are tired of Chicago weather and are actively planning on going somewhere warm. I'm 49 and on disability so no job to hold me down. We are all excited to go and get away from family bullshit and sub zero temps. Good luck in whatever you do.

dngf
    Update your status
    dngf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 85356

I really like The Profit's suggestion, I would probably add to his thought to drive to cities with big colleges, large concentrations of people close to your age, and all the things to do that a campus offers, so maybe Tallahassee, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Austin, Tucson. It is difficult to leave home, but what an adventure, and like others have said, if in the end you go back home, you will be welcome there.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by easywinner View Post
    You should take a serious look at travelling somewhere outside the U.S. for a while.. why not. Life is too short to just stay posted in the U.S.

Whatever you like to do, go towards that. You like animals? Go to Africa... You want to bang hot asian girls... go to Thailand

Lots of places in the world you could live for cheap and enjoy yourself and experience life. Gotta figure out what it is you enjoy and what it is you are after.

shaggy3000
    shaggy3000's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dngf View Post
    I really like The Profit's suggestion, I would probably add to his thought to drive to cities with big colleges, large concentrations of people close to your age, and all the things to do that a campus offers, so maybe Tallahassee, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Austin, Tucson. It is difficult to leave home, but what an adventure, and like others have said, if in the end you go back home, you will be welcome there.
    this sounds like the plan! or you can do what humans have done forever. when the place you live sucks move explore west. i hate where i live and as soon as i get some legal shit over and done with im out to a better life. or at least one that doesnt suck like this one

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2199

I lived in the midwest from 1 year old to 13 and the best thing that ever happened to me was moving to California. I couldn't imagine living as an adult in the Midwest. Life is so much better out here than most places in the Country. You have to experience it to really understand it though. Many other better places to live in the world I am sure but in the United States it's hard to beat Southern California, Santa Barbara to be exact.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

i'll tell you, i've never enjoyed my time much for than in the French Quarter in New Orleans, the place is just a good time every day. If you have the means, GO THERE and check it out.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dngf View Post
    well, its funny you say that. I myself have never lived anywhere but East Tennessee. I've never lived more than 50 miles from where I was born & raised. I dont know that I really want to move, i like it here, maybe someday, but I've always liked living in this area, just not certain places in the area.

But I am a salesman. I have no wife, no kids, no real bills. So I worked for a few years traveling all over the south to different college towns. One week I'd be in Radford & Blacksburg, VA, then maybe off to Charlottesville. Come home for a weekend & party a few days with friends & then to Athens,GA for a couple weeks, then to Chapel Hill, NC, then a week in Raleigh, then back home & then to Tallahassee & Gainesville for a few weeks. It was the best time of my life. I even went to Texas & New Mexico & stayed a few months.

I then sold insurance for a while, and did a lot of traveling, but no where fukin cool. Just from here to Nashville, Chattanooga, and every little podunk nowhere fukin hicktown in between. Although i did manage to have an affair with a married woman I worked with for several months

Anyway, all Im saying is it may not be where you live that you dont like, but you just need to get away. Its like getting some strange, its good for the soul

12 Last