stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

Why won't the NCAA...

Change the Pi rule to a spot foul on PI (like the NFL) instead of a 15 yard penalty?

I'm watching this NC/NC St. affair, Maye throws a 45 yard beautiful bomb, the receiver gets mugged though or else it's a big gainer, and all NC gets is 15 yards, if this is an NFL game, NC gets the full 45 yards.

Come on, unify this PI rule already.

Shark
    Shark's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10448

Because that nfl rule is bs

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19611

The NCAA rule used to mirror the NFL rule until they wised up. The question is when is the NFL going to follow suit?
    Points Awarded:

goduke gave DrunkHorseplayer 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16024

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Change the Pi rule to a spot foul on PI (like the NFL) instead of a 15 yard penalty?

I'm watching this NC/NC St. affair, Maye throws a 45 yard beautiful bomb, the receiver gets mugged though or else it's a big gainer, and all NC gets is 15 yards, if this is an NFL game, NC gets the full 45 yards.

Come on, unify this PI rule already.
    To be honest with you I hate the NFL rule. I think 15 yards is plenty for PI especially since there are many times I feel like a QB throws one up in hopes that he gets a PI and often times you see it working in the NFL so they get a cheap touchdown. Just my opinion though but I like some of the college rules better than the NFL.
    Points Awarded:

goduke gave jrgum3 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    To be honest with you I hate the NFL rule. I think 15 yards is plenty for PI especially since there are many times I feel like a QB throws one up in hopes that he gets a PI and often times you see it working in the NFL so they get a cheap touchdown. Just my opinion though but I like some of the college rules better than the NFL.
    I'm in the minority, it should be a spot foul, but you can make a case either way.

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10385

If the PI is intentional or egregious it should be a spot foul, if it’s unintentional then 15 or half the distance. Thing I don’t like are offenses taking shots just to try and draw a PI or the acting jobs by wide receivers, those should be taken into account for the penalty as well
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Otters27

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    If the PI is intentional or egregious it should be a spot foul, if it’s unintentional then 15 or half the distance. Thing I don’t like are offenses taking shots just to try and draw a PI or the acting jobs by wide receivers, those should be taken into account for the penalty as well
    This is what I said. Like when they had the 5 and 15 yard face mask. The best would be 2 possible penalties on deep balls, 15 yard or spot foul

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

are they going to do away with stopping the clock after each first down as well, let's have a running clock and see those totals

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22628

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    This is what I said. Like when they had the 5 and 15 yard face mask. The best would be 2 possible penalties on deep balls, 15 yard or spot foul
    I liked the 5 & 15 face mask calls rather than 15.
    Ya grab the guyz mask because he's gonna go for a TD and rip it like no tomorrow, twisting his head 180 degrees.....get your finger caught in the grill and barely impede him. Same 15 yards???? No way......dumb as phuck.
    Sexual assault.....pat a person on the ass or rape them.....same thing sexual assult.....dumb as phuck.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

NFL rule is wrong. The only reason NFL has it is to have more high scoring games and be easier to manipulate outcomes of games to their liking.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheMoneyShot, and EddieMusher

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    NFL rule is wrong. The only reason NFL has it is to have more high scoring games and be easier to manipulate outcomes of games to their liking.
    THIS. Spot on. This is exactly why the NFL made it a spot foul past 15 yards. Manipulate outcome of games... backdoor cover.

I actually like how the NCAA has it right now. 15 yards is fine.

stevenash

^
    So, penalize the offense 35 yards on a would be 50 yard completion that never happened because the DE got burnt like toast and the only recourse the DE has is to mug the WR preventing him to make the easy catch by knowing it'll only cost him 15 yards for DPI instead of 50 yards, if not a TD.

Is this what you are saying?
    And if so, how exactly is that fair to the offense?

So, every time a defender gets beat for a big gainer, you're saying it's fair to tackle him while the ball is in flight just to prevent a TD?

TheMoneyShot

^ I don't like the NFL PI rule either. I just think 15 yards is plenty. Most plays aren't typically deep bombs... they are usually around 15-20 yards roughly.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16157

NFL needs to change the rule to match the NCAA. 15 yards and an automatic first down is plenty.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8401

Good discussion, and topic I'm ok either way, with the penalty
    itself,
    It's the inconsistent way they are called I have a problem with.
    The 2 tier pi call would make this even worse. Any rule is fair when applied equally.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16157

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    too judgemental for the refs to call this way. What makes a PI intentional or not? The game is hard enough to police, so this method will definitely not work.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    too judgemental for the refs to call this way. What makes a PI intentional or not? The game is hard enough to police, so this method will definitely not work.
    I agree. Same thing with the 5 yrd or 15 yrd face mask penalty. It was rather dumb. If it worked well... they would of kept it.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    I liked the 5 & 15 face mask calls rather than 15.
    Ya grab the guyz mask because he's gonna go for a TD and rip it like no tomorrow, twisting his head 180 degrees.....get your finger caught in the grill and barely impede him. Same 15 yards???? No way......dumb as phuck.
    Sexual assault.....pat a person on the ass or rape them.....same thing sexual assult.....dumb as phuck.
    high school in pennsylvania has this rule for face masks still

stevenash

How about OPI?
    10 yard penalty in the NFL
    15 yard penalty in NCAA.

Bengals are playing the Titans tomorrow
    Burrow throws a 30 yard dying quail to Higgins who had zero chance to make a play on it.
    The cornerback, McCreary is under the pass for a clear interception with a potential pick six.
    Higgins realizes this and blatantly tackles McCreary preventing a potential pick six, and at least a 30 yard interception.

Zebra throws the flag and announces on the mic 'Offensive pass interference, number 85, ten yard penalty, repeat first down"

Is that ten yard penalty fair?

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8401

D holding 5 yards and a first down! Who comes up with this stuff!