1. #36
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,277
    Betpoints: 8415

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    fast for us but not fast at all behind the scenes. it was simply kept a secret.

    the planning and backroom discussions had to have been going on for mos.
    The pac12 conference was blindsided

    This was very sudden

  2. #37
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I just never anticipated the BIG TEN would want Pacific teams? Just strange to me...

    If we're basing this just on LA Markets... I guess it's a good point? FOX Sports will be pissed off though... I think they have rights to the PAC-12 games? With UCLA and USC leaving.... basically leaves you watching garbage. lol
    There is not going to be a Pac 12. They could not make as much as the Big 12 even with UCLA and USC. At the very least they will all go to the Big 12 now. The better ones are going to the Big 10 also now that they have the big fish and the rest go to the Big 12. The Pac 12 is dead.

  3. #38
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    The pac12 conference was blindsided

    This was very sudden
    and the big 12 was blindsided by OU and Texas last Summer. same blueprint.

    decisions this big don't happen within a week or two. these are seismic decisions that take time to dot all I's and cross all T's. Leaders don't make hasty decisions, not Leaders at that level.

    it is a shock only to those of us and the pac 12 who were not informed that backroom discussions were being had.

  4. #39
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    I don't think anybody was blindsided. Everybody knew all of these schools wanted out. They did not expect it to happen as soon as it did but everybody knew the day was coming. They just thought they had more time. I don't think the Pac 12 even thought they had much more time. They just thought they might have some time to try to put together a TV deal.

  5. #40
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by Accrued Interest View Post
    I don't think anybody was blindsided. Everybody knew all of these schools wanted out. They did not expect it to happen as soon as it did but everybody knew the day was coming. They just thought they had more time. I don't think the Pac 12 even thought they had much more time. They just thought they might have some time to try to put together a TV deal.
    yes, the writing was on the wall.

    pac 12 schools lost a ton of money during Covid due to empty stadiums.

    the TV money is extremely low compared to other conferences too.

    this was close to 13 mos in the making.

    June 10, 2021, Oklahoma and Texas announced they will leave to the SEC.

    if that was not a huge red flag to the P12, Big 12 and ACC that more dominoes are going to fall, i don't know what is.

  6. #41
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    The pac12 conference was blindsided

    This was very sudden

    CONFIRMED THROUGH A BUCKEYE BOARD INSIDER that USC was leading the discussions with the B1G back on April 11 if not earlier.

    Initial discussions included USC, Washington, Oregon. A short time later, UCLA was added.

  7. #42
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 82,751
    Betpoints: 8900

    Big 10 network continues to be must see TV.

    Unless you want to watch Beach Volleyball.


  8. #43
    kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-25-10
    Posts: 10,005
    Betpoints: 1494

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    fast for us but not fast at all behind the scenes. it was simply kept a secret.

    the planning and backroom discussions had to have been going on for mos.
    then why did you make your dumb comments about it not happenning? it was obviously pre arranged and agreed upon. some of you guys shock me..

  9. #44
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    then why did you make your dumb comments about it not happenning? it was obviously pre arranged and agreed upon. some of you guys shock me..
    wishful thinking. i'm a pac12 fan and rose bowl fan.

    i have a buddy who is ohio state alum and former professor in the medical school and also practiced as a doc in their college hospital called wexner.

    he is very dialed in through buckeye alum and boosters, and he just told me what i posted above, that this was in the works since early April if not sooner.

    here is what he has found out:

    The B1G has plans to make a coast to coast conference to compete with TV money etc w/ the SEC.

    he is hearing that the B1G and SEC will split the ACC in half - they are both jockeying for position on which schools they can get to agree to come to their respective conferences.

    most likely within the next 4 to 5 years, The B1G will be about 25-30 schools and same with the SEC.

    this jives with what Kirk Herbstreit said yesterday.

    so basically, the next dominoes that fall might be a surprise to BROCK LANDERS who is nowhere in the scene, but it will not surprise those who are having discussions as we speak.

  10. #45
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    i am a traditionalist in college football, i hate all of this super conference stuff and the loss of geographic rivalries, etc.

    the rose bowl not pitting the pac 12 vs the big ten?

    that just makes me sad.

    i have been to 3 of them over the years.

    unless you have been to a rose bowl, you cannot understand or have the feeling replicated of what the pageantry is like.

  11. #46
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 82,751
    Betpoints: 8900

    Yeah homie, I hear you there.

    Things are already looking inconceivably different than just a few years ago.

    The mere thought of USC and UCLA in the Big 10 would have made no sense to anyone years ago.

    Not sure why the Pac 10/12 couldn't have garnered the TV money.

    Ridiculous this move had to happen.

  12. #47
    209 Life
    Mountain West FB Champions
    209 Life's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-15-18
    Posts: 3,116
    Betpoints: 6640

    Someone do a welfare check on Bill Walton

  13. #48
    JacketFan81
    GO GEORGIA TECH!
    JacketFan81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-28-17
    Posts: 1,751
    Betpoints: 3919

    Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Yeah homie, I hear you there.

    Things are already looking inconceivably different than just a few years ago.

    The mere thought of USC and UCLA in the Big 10 would have made no sense to anyone years ago.

    Not sure why the Pac 10/12 couldn't have garnered the TV money.

    Ridiculous this move had to happen.
    I think the Pac-12 has been in a death spiral for at least a decade now. I think USC/UCLA saw the writing on the wall.

    I hope the ACC schools see it too, because their conference is next.

    Makes me really angry GT didn't take that BIG10 offer 10 years ago, because nowadays all we offer is an Atlanta market that probably has more Ohio State fans than GT fans.

  14. #49
    KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-20-09
    Posts: 15,335
    Betpoints: 962

    Not a fan. Don’t like contrasting styles.

  15. #50
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by KiDBaZkiT View Post
    Not a fan. Don’t like contrasting styles.
    me neither.

    it sucks but it's all about the $$$ and they are going to make it regardless.

  16. #51
    iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-29-09
    Posts: 2,083
    Betpoints: 280

    i think this move before the '25, is that a new playoff system will come and b1g and the sec will have 3+ spots each on the seeding

  17. #52
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by iwantcougars View Post
    i think this move before the '25, is that a new playoff system will come and b1g and the sec will have 3+ spots each on the seeding
    that is probably part of it, but the bigger part is TV MONEY.

    current college playoff at 4 teams, remains until Post 2025 season.

    any change to the format, would occur 2026 season at the earliest.

  18. #53
    Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-12
    Posts: 19,584
    Betpoints: 265

    WTF? UCLA and SC to the Big 10 is fukking gay.

    Colleges including their sports program in nothing but a business this day and age. Can't have loyalty to any sports teams anymore
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheMoneyShot

  19. #54
    max51
    max51's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-21-14
    Posts: 88
    Betpoints: 3769

    Terrible… but money talks…

  20. #55
    TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-14-07
    Posts: 28,035
    Betpoints: 21050

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    WTF? UCLA and SC to the Big 10 is fukking gay.

    Colleges including their sports program in nothing but a business this day and age. Can't have loyalty to any sports teams anymore
    I don't like it either.... just goes to show no matter what part of the US a school is in.... you can apply to any Conference. Pac-12 may not survive.

  21. #56
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    yes, the writing was on the wall.

    pac 12 schools lost a ton of money during Covid due to empty stadiums.

    the TV money is extremely low compared to other conferences too.

    this was close to 13 mos in the making.

    June 10, 2021, Oklahoma and Texas announced they will leave to the SEC.

    if that was not a huge red flag to the P12, Big 12 and ACC that more dominoes are going to fall, i don't know what is.
    It is all about the next television contract. The Pac 12 was getting paid less than the Big 12 already. They were not going to get any money. For USC and UCLA to be professional teams, they needed to move. The conferences also have to get the big fish while they are available so a big move by the Big 10. They have a professional sports league now. This is way bigger than the USFL ever was.

  22. #57
    flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-06-06
    Posts: 40,910
    Betpoints: 940

    When will the Big Ten get an official name change? I see that coming... no point to keep it named the big 10

  23. #58
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I don't like it either.... just goes to show no matter what part of the US a school is in.... you can apply to any Conference. Pac-12 may not survive.
    when WVA joined the Big 12 and Rutgers joined the B1G, this was quite evident. so this is nothing new.

    however, while the Pac 12 means pacific, the SEC means southeast, and the ACC means Atlantic Coast, the Big in Big Ten and Big Twelve, do not necessarily rep region, right?

    so the Big 10 and the Big 12 have the most "rights" in terms of geographic scalability, based on this above.

  24. #59
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    When will the Big Ten get an official name change? I see that coming... no point to keep it named the big 10
    it has not been "10 schools" since 1993 when penn state played their inaugural season in the conference, taking it to 11 total schools in football and basketball.

    if they were able to keep their name "The Big 10" for the last 29 years, they can most certainly keep it going forward.

    they are branded.

    p.s. i bet you did not know that the last time they had "only 10 schools" to fit their league name, it was the 1992 college football season.

  25. #60
    209 Life
    Mountain West FB Champions
    209 Life's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-15-18
    Posts: 3,116
    Betpoints: 6640

    Quote from The Athletic

    The Pac-12 may want to look at dividing along football and basketball-only members. I think Gonzaga and St. Mary’s basketball only. And then explore SDSU, Fresno, Boise and UNLV as football only.” — Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman

  26. #61
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    Quote from The Athletic

    The Pac-12 may want to look at dividing along football and basketball-only members. I think Gonzaga and St. Mary’s basketball only. And then explore SDSU, Fresno, Boise and UNLV as football only.” — Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman
    LOL. This is pretty clueless. You might as well just join the Mountain West. These schools are breaking for the first offer.

    Big 12 is meeting about adding Arizona State, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. That is a no-brainer.

    The only question at this point is what happens to Washington State and Oregon State. Do they go Big 12 or Mountain West. Stanford and Cal might not make the Big 10 so that could be interesting.

  27. #62
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by Accrued Interest View Post
    LOL. This is pretty clueless. You might as well just join the Mountain West. These schools are breaking for the first offer.

    Big 12 is meeting about adding Arizona State, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. That is a no-brainer.

    The only question at this point is what happens to Washington State and Oregon State. Do they go Big 12 or Mountain West. Stanford and Cal might not make the Big 10 so that could be interesting.
    you did not mention OREGON and WASHINGTON. those are HUGE names in this process.

  28. #63
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    you did not mention OREGON and WASHINGTON. those are HUGE names in this process.
    Oregon and Washington are hoping for the Big 10. Everything is apparently on hold until Notre Dame decides what to do. Apparently they might not bring enough to make it monetarily but I would bet they get in just because you need teams for UCLA-USC and they are too big to leave out.

    So the Big 12 is making a play for those four which will blow up the Pac 12 completely. If Oregon and Washington do not get in the Big 10, they would easily get in the Big 12.

  29. #64
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by Accrued Interest View Post
    Oregon and Washington are hoping for the Big 10. Everything is apparently on hold until Notre Dame decides what to do. Apparently they might not bring enough to make it monetarily but I would bet they get in just because you need teams for UCLA-USC and they are too big to leave out.

    So the Big 12 is making a play for those four which will blow up the Pac 12 completely. If Oregon and Washington do not get in the Big 10, they would easily get in the Big 12.
    right, but not for 2022 and 2023, though, correct?

    it would not start until Aug 2024.

    or, could the p12 conference feel so spiteful to USC and UCLA that they try to blow this up immediately and start scheduling B12 games right now !!

  30. #65
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    No, this is all about the next television deal. The Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 are up for new television deals. The Pac 12 is dead at this point. So the Big 10 and Big 12 are trying to get as much as they can. Apparently Big 10 schools will be getting a minimum of $100 million.

    All the Big 12 is doing at this point is to put together enough rejects that they have a somewhat attractive conference to make something close to what they made before.

  31. #66
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    It will be interesting to see how long the Big 10 can get by with just NIL deals when college players are worth more than they can make in the NFL. You are going to have to be pretty stupid to play for free at that point.

  32. #67
    milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-07
    Posts: 26,614
    Betpoints: 8632

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    they added Rutgers and Maryland some years ago so why not the Left Coast which is the Best Coast?
    distance from ohio state to maryland = 420 miles
    distance from ohio state to ucla = 2,240 miles

    since nobody else seemed to notice, just thought i would point this out

  33. #68
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    distance from ohio state to maryland = 420 miles
    distance from ohio state to ucla = 2,240 miles

    since nobody else seemed to notice, just thought i would point this out
    wow i would have guessed 1000 miles LOL

    since you pointed that out, let me point THIS out:

    driving distance Lincoln, NE to New Brunswick, NJ (nebraska U to rutgers U) = 1290 miles

    from nebraska to university of maryland = 1200 miles


    driving distance lincoln to westood and los angeles = 1500 miles


    you see, two can play that game. i am a straight up COLLEGE FOOTBALL MUTHERPHUKKER

    Turner Gill, OUT !!!!

  34. #69
    milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-22-07
    Posts: 26,614
    Betpoints: 8632

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    wow i would have guessed 1000 miles LOL

    since you pointed that out, let me point THIS out:

    driving distance Lincoln, NE to New Brunswick, NJ (nebraska U to rutgers U) = 1290 miles

    from nebraska to university of maryland = 1200 miles


    driving distance lincoln to westood and los angeles = 1500 miles


    you see, two can play that game. i am a straight up COLLEGE FOOTBALL MUTHERPHUKKER

    Turner Gill, OUT !!!!
    so even the furthest distance to east coast/shortest distance to west coast... is still further to west coast

    how about this one... penn st to rutgers 190 miles... penn st to ucla 2,580 miles

    nebraska isn't a real big 10 team... take the real teams, michigan, ohio st, penn st... for god's sake those friends and family of penn st players now potentially have to fly coast to coast... i'm guessing that could hurt recruits not only in football but if other sports follow suit... who in the heck wants to fly back and forth to watch their kid play softball

  35. #70
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,905
    Betpoints: 7736

    It's happening. Nothing will stop it. Just accept it. USC, ucla, and 16 big ten presidents just did - unanimously.

First 1234 Last
Top