Statepeek
    Statepeek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 62

Handicapping basics

Is there anybody here who would be willing to give me a couple tips regarding how to get started? I've no idea where to start. Thanks!

Tuesday
    Whores...God Bless 'Em
    Tuesday's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4061

FOLLOW Roy Bacon

FADE jtoler/brandon lang

Or you can try posting in the Handicappers Think Tank or Newbie sections here

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

Jj gold is the file clerk. Check in with him please

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14404

Start at the beginning.

Vyasports
    check raise re-raise all-in
    Vyasports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1334

Quote Originally Posted by Statepeek View Post
    Is there anybody here who would be willing to give me a couple tips regarding how to get started? I've no idea where to start. Thanks!
    you're welcome

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

I have a few places to start for you. Your goals are important here, your bankroll, money management, etc.

You'll find with sports that picking the winners is the easier part (even when you have 8 game losing streaks).

Remember, there will be wins and losses. You can't avoid that. One poster was once baffled when I told him I didn't expect to win every bet I make. That's the way it goes.

Anyway, when I say picking winners is the easy part I am referring to all the other pitfalls in gambling that cause a player to lose. Some people simply aren't built for this, whether it's an addictive personality or behavior, emotional issues, etc, it all comes into play and the market bookmakers, originators and us sharper players will exploit all those factors, constantly.

The psychological component is very important but let's just first get into comparing teams, then we'll get into psychology and money management.

This is a post I made from long ago it cover some very basics on comparing teams to themselves and the league as a whole...

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    For my 5000th post I would like to start a series of threads known as Words of Wisdom. While I considered offering something I’ve already posted or recent words of money management, I decided on something new.

I’ve often mentioned that it’s not that gamblers don’t know; it’s that so much they know is wrong. In the CFL thread poster Ra77er asked a question that offers a teachable moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    KVB why do you prefer median over mean? Mean is much more accurate right? I know this is random question in this specific thread but you spoke about this before with regards to modeling in the HTT.

More specifically mean would seem to account for anomaly type situation better than a median approach or no?

Remember, this is indeed a game of numbers if you want to succeed and many bettors, when comparing stats between teams, often use means instead of medians. Doing so will cause errors in your work.

The first lesson is in conclusions and behavior. I’ve mentioned in the past that there are as many ways to handicap as there are handicappers and bettors, when comparing teams, use all kinds of stats. When bettors use means when comparing teams, get false evidence, then fail, they often conclude that the statistics used were the wrong ones.

They move on to other angles, other stats, and then continue to use means and continue to fail. What they don’t realize is that it’s often not the stats used that is the problem, it’s the use of means. This cycle can go on for as long as a bettor lets it.

The mean and the median can be different numbers but are often close. First let’s address the problems with averaging stats.

Let’s keep it simple and, simply put, using means when comparing stats between teams will cause errors whenever both teams are above or below the mean. It fools the player because you can, at times produce a valid result, as when medians are used, but that is coincidental.

Let’s use an example. Let’s compare the Eagles to Falcons using yardage stats. Let’s say, for simplicity, that the average yards per game in the NFL come to 160 yards. We know it is closer to twice that but let’s keep it simple. In our scaled down example, let’s say the Eagles gain an average of 200 yards per game and the Falcons give up 200 yards per game.

To project the Eagles total yards gained against the Falcons, the natural tendency for the bettor is to take the average of the two: yards gained by Eagles plus yards allowed by Falcons divided by two, which would produce a prediction of 200 yards per game.

Does that sound right to you? Think about it. Using means, we are saying a better than league average Eagles team that’s “worth” 200 yards a game is going to be held to its “normal” 200 yards per game by a less than average poor Falcons defense?

That’s a mistake and it will show. Instead of trying another stat and again averaging the two, try this…

Add the yardage gained to the opponent’s yardage allowed and then subtract the league average.

Now we get 400 – 160 = 240. Let’s think about it again. Now we’re saying the Eagles good offense should get more yards against the poor Falcon defense than they would usually get against their average opponents.

That makes a little better sense. Now let’s talk about the advantage of medians. Ra77er brought up anomaly type situations and how the mean would take it into consideration. While this is true, is that what we want?

Let’s say, in our scaled down example that the wheels come off in a game and those pesky Falcons give up 400 yards. They are way behind, injuries, send in the backups, etc. and don’t give a shit. In the next three games let’s say they give up 180, 220, and 200 yards per game. If you average these four games you’ll come to 250 yards per game while the median is 210.

In a sport like the NFL teams tend to revert to a norm, whatever their specific norm is. By using medians, you can better remove those outlier results that aren’t exactly indicative of a team’s normal performances.

Winning gamblers have learned to compare what is relevant to staying ahead of the marketplace and often times those outlier results are more of an influence on perception than reality. This too should be taken into account.

One more note about means and medians. I mentioned that means can fool players because often times they can produce a valid figure, but it’s a mere coincidence.

Let’s say the Eagles gain 200 yards per game and the Falcons give up 120 yards per game. Averaging the two will yield the same result as adding them together and subtracting 160.

And that is why bettors can be fooled. When one team is above average and one team below average, you can get close to a valid figure, and this happens often. Eventually averaging between teams will produce errors while the method described above will avoid these errors.

Like I’ve said before, track your bets and why you made them folks; this can become the most valuable piece of information you can process. Not even the most advanced syndicates and bettors have that information.

That is, until we make you. But that’s for another thread.

May these words of wisdom put you onto some winners or take you off of some losers.

Always track your bets and why you made them. There is nothing more important.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Single most important thing is to use as many outs as feasible and to shop for the best line and place the bet at the right time. If you're just betting regular ATS, you're going to win somewhere between 42% to 58% of your bets. That 1 bet in 20 that gets you the win rather than loss because you bet -6.5 instead of -7.5 is the difference between going 11-9 (beating the juice) and 10-10 (losing to the juice).
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: turbobets

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

dont even start, find another hobby

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16714

Fade Morino, Fade Brandon Lang, then google search Handicapping Basics.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Stay humble.

Real easy to think sports betting is free money when you are winning. Even you have a good NFL season, maybe hit 60%, don't think that is going to be it going forward. Be smart about it, admit what you don't know, try to get better every day. Spend the off season researching the sport. Summers are spent building and updating football models, September/Early October Hockey/NBA, Winter is baseball.

Take advantage of bonuses, play them smart. You can build a lot of roll that way. Even with the limited bonuses these days, I easily pulled in 3,000 over the past 6 months in bonuses alone. Even if you broke even, you can easily get to 10,000 alone in a few years from bonuses.

Don't waste your time on non-sense. The whole "This team is 6-1 ATS coming off a loss" and the rest of the "trends". Anything that easy will not win you money. I laugh remembering myself printing off the NFL Matchup sheets from Bodog with all the trends in like 2006, staring at them for hours. It doesnt work. It's not doing research. You're wasting your time. Winning isn't easy, its hard, its keep being hard.

Try to find stats that are predictive. Many people have done good work on analytics. Read what you can, try to implement it. Test it, keep track of it during the season. Figure out what stats were good, and what stats weren't. I am 95% a quant guy. I am very deficient in doing qualitative stuff. Reading more about injuries and stuff like that is something I have to work on. Try to figure out where you are weak, and try to improve.

Don't panic when you are losing. In may, I was down roughly 60 units or so in MLB. Battled back to being up 15 or so right now. Didn't change bet size, didn't make more bets than usual. Be a machine.

If you work hard, stay disciplined, and focus on the important parts, you can get to the place where you atleast break even.

Other good advice to pay attention to in this thread from KVB and D2bets
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB