JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Do you ever take breaks from sports betting?

If so why and for how long?

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

Next year....

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

all the time. months at a time

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273623

3 days

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

21 years straight

thinking of finding a new hobby

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_Guest_Pro View Post
    all the time. months at a time

I have been in this business for more decades the most of you are alive. when.I was a young pup and unseasoned to losses I would swear off for weeks and always return. then I found myself on the other side of the table booking and life was a dream. don't believe bookies when/if they tell you they are the only bookie who loses. none lose, the players lose all the time. I booked for over two decades and I can't remember one player beating us long term. It doesn't happen.

now I am back to betting again but I learned my lesson. no more wagers of 3 and 4 hundred unless it is the super bowl or college football championship. I discovered I can get almost the same thrill for a small wager and I no longer need to throw the remote at the TV. (sound familiar). when I lose a difficult play I now smile and say yep just what I expected. I might lead the world in games lost on at the very last score. you have many of them? leading the entire game and the last score a bucket or a FG or whatever beats you.

try cutting down because most of you will have trouble cold turkey.
    Last edited by dante1; 01-19-21 at 05:28 PM.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

yes i like to take a few days off from time to time to travel, and when i do this, i want nothing to do with sports or gambling at all.i know how to get away from it to recharge me up here.that why when i get away i want nothing to do with places like vegas, give me a good beach and fun and sun..

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    yes i like to take a few days off from time to time to travel, and when i do this, i want nothing to do with sports or gambling at all.i know how to get away from it to recharge me up here.that why when i get away i want nothing to do with places like vegas, give me a good beach and fun and sun..
    good for you.

funny story and true story. when I was booking a young kid would wager with us. college age kid and one day I was screwing with him and said you are a virgin aren't you? he turned red quickly and I knew my answer. I said to him one of these days you will find a woman and you will discover sex and when that happens I will not see you for months.

that is exactly what happened he disappeared and when he returned admitted to my comments. sex trumps betting for a while, but he returned and became the degenerate that he was born to be. I have not seen or heard from him in years and I hope he is okay. two players one a sports player and another a horse player involved with our joint called it an end the difficult way--killed themselves.

EasyCover
    EasyCover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4069

Yes, when I sleep.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Sometimes of course depending on money

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

All the time. When I'm broke. Which is quite often. But yet I'll still check lines and circle games that I would've played real money on if I had any, just so I can be pi**ed off that I pick winners when I don't have any money on the game. I can lose $5 and $10 plays same as $20 and $30 plays, but I can pick the hell out of some plays I got zero real money at stake.

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

Yes, I for sure do. Typically most of March (outside of the tournaments) and August.

A lot of this is transitioning sports, MLB in April, then NCAAF and into NCAAB.

There's a fair bit of season prep that goes into rotating stats databases for the upcoming $sport.

I'll also take an occasional week here or there. Either if I get a few bad beats strung together or have an off couple of days. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. Sometimes you need to just mentally reset.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11889

That's blasphemy and sacrilegious to take a break! Always be betting! Cap hard and live with the results day to day!!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would think it’s healthy to take breaks to clear the mind and regroup most of us don’t wanna do it we cannot survive without it it

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10886

Yes
    You have to take a break
    Impossible to go every day

Basically if if I need action then I bet
    Watching the game I bet
    Day off work on football weekend I bet

I lay off if I had a big day then don’t press too much next day

Doing this for a long time

Probably bet heavy 2-3 days a week

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO

I go weeks without betting during early baseball

carolinakid

yrs ago i wanted to get away from sports and gambling i took a week in hedonism 2 in negril.i took a commerical flight to montego bay and a private plane over to negril, i did not want to ride a bus on the left side of the road in the mts to get there.

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 153504

on average, i probably only bet a third of the days in a calendar year. i don't bet hockey at all and almost no NBA.

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO

1. Stopped betting while at work
    2. Don’t bet if I’m getting up early for work

Learned that this is for enjoyment

So weekend off or not going to work next day then bet for enjoyment

Took me 10 years to figure that out

Not to say I’m not a degerate

Just more responsible and makes it doable

Can’t fathom doing it everyday

carolinakid

All i can say when you do this as a professional gambler, you got to put all the outside bs away when you are working the games, if not you wont win crap, when im doing the games, i go to sleep at night with the numbers in my head for the next day, i wake up and the 1st thing i do is look at the current day numbers across the board, i work 18 hrs a day working on the games on a average.....that why when i take a few days off i do not even look at no sports.....

killawookie
    killawookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    1. Stopped betting while at work
    2. Don’t bet if I’m getting up early for work

Learned that this is for enjoyment

So weekend off or not going to work next day then bet for enjoyment

Took me 10 years to figure that out

Not to say I’m not a degerate

Just more responsible and makes it doable

Can’t fathom doing it everyday
    Wow, this hits close to home. This is me to the t. So many have these personas they try to enforce on this forum that it has to be their job or their only source of social interaction. Its rather sad but to each their own as long we are all doing it healthy.

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO

how successful have you been as a pro ck?

carolinakid

I have did well, but it very hard work if you want to win at sports betting and it take a lot of time. for the guys that want to bet and watch games they will never win in the long run imo......again i could give a rat ass about watching any game, i want to watch the numbers inside the games... something i have never understood why guys want to go to vegas and watch games for march madness, i want my tools to help me win and that is not in some sportbook.
    Last edited by carolinakid; 01-19-21 at 09:58 PM.

JayLA
    On to the next one...

I take breaks all the time. Some bad beats are way too much and chasing starts consuming my life.

This epic run i just went on was right after a break....i couldn't lose. I was taught by my gambling mentors to not stop a hot streak so i did and now that is crashing HARD.

I think breaks have helped me a lot. While on breaks, i'll check out the odds, watch a few games.

last week i must have made i dunno, 80 bets. my bookie was like, "ok ill pay you but dont just fall off the earth next week, keep betting like that."

fk him. he paid me and now im tapering into a break again, mostly cause now i am going on 5, 6 loss streaks. i cant stomach those.

lowering bet sizes for me is.......anti climatic. when you find a unit size that your comfortable with, money you can lose but also something that you can do something with, you keep that size. I'm at 100 now. When i bet 75 or 50, i dont even look at the score, i can care less.

breaks though i think are good for gamblers. runnin hot at the poker table? go out and smoke a cig, think things through.....

sports betting, well it's less hands on that poker but still. check some games out, see public perception and come back strong and clear.

i will say im guilty of betting TONS of matches every day! that really is so unhealthy

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30443

I bet 365 days last year

JayLA
    On to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    I bet 365 days last year
    that's hardcore. in the red or black?

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO

I have did well, but it very hard work if you want to win at sports betting and it take a lot of time. for the guys that want to bet and watch games they will never win in the long run imo......again i could give a rat ass about watching any game, i want to watch the numbers inside the games... something i have never understood why guys want to go to vegas and watch games for march madness, i want my tools to help me win and that is not in some sportbook.
    how long have you been a pro? and have you cleared enough profit each year to replace, let's say, a modest six-figure job?

carolinakid

20 yrs and yes

JayLA
    On to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    how long have you been a pro? and have you cleared enough profit each year to replace, let's say, a modest six-figure job?
    not saying ck is a liar but most gambling pros say it doesnt work like that....some years you have enough to cover losing years.

a pro gambler is just a guy who doesn't have a job and pays his living with gambling money. everyone thinks "pro gambler" means Bob Voulgaris and billy walters

carolinakid

yes it up and down for sure from yr to yr but the main thing for the good yrs to erase the bad yrs.......i was talking more on the average for those yrs. but again it hard work and you really do not have anyways a normal life.but it just like a normal job, you get back what you put into the work. again i love working with the numbers the most and again i go to bed with numbers in my head and i wake with numbers in my head, this is no joke.

JayLA
    On to the next one...

yes it up and down for sure from yr to yr but the main thing for the good yrs to erase the bad yrs.......i was talking more on the average for those yrs. but again it hard work and you really do not have anyways a normal life.but it just like a normal job, you get back what you put into the work. again i love working with the numbers the most and again i go to bed with numbers in my head and i wake with numbers in my head, this is no joke.
    my gf (who this whole board knows ) tells me i love numbers and projecting more than i do breathing

i told her i'll know the over under on my last breath

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26331

I take the summer off, nice outsite+not much to bet on.

asiagambler

Quote Originally Posted by JayLA View Post
    that's hardcore. in the red or black?
    As much time and effort I put into it, it better be black

JayLA
    On to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    As much time and effort I put into it, it better be black
    asia you said you know the south florida poker circle.....

lets talk via private message

youve got good analysis would love to break bread and talk for a bit

asiagambler

Quote Originally Posted by JayLA View Post
    asia you said you know the south florida poker circle.....

lets talk via private message

youve got good analysis would love to break bread and talk for a bit
    Been a long time but sure PM anytime

12 Last