HossWilbur
    Can't Stop The Chop
    HossWilbur's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10657

Romeo Crennel

How are you even an interim head coach in the NFL?

Houston scores a TD to go up 36-29 with 1:50 remaining in the 4th quarter. You'd think they line up for the PAT right? Ya know, attempt to make it an 8 point game, that way if Tennessee does happen to score in the next 1:50, they'd still have to hit the 2 point conversion as well just to tie it to send to OT. Nope! Crennel just played this game like a 3 year old toddler that picked up Madden after their dad forgot to turn the game off and goes for 2, and promptly fails to convert it. Tennessee scores a TD with 4 seconds left in the 4th, hits the PAT to tie it at 36, receives the ball to begin overtime, and scores a TD to win it. I am completely perplexed at how an NFL head coach can be compared to a toddler. It's not like someone threw him into the fire, this guy was actually paid $1.8 million per year to be an actual head coach before. Sad thing is I didn't even wager anything on this game, only took Houston in a contest.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Bill O’Brien and now this bum!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Lol

Iq20

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

hence why crennel failed at his head coaching opportunities in the past.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Crennel made the right call. You are a 1-4 team on the road against an undefeated team. You have a Top 5 worst defense in the NFL that has been totally gassed by Derrick Henry. You play to WIN! Just look at how the Titans were moving the ball in the last regulation drive, and then in OT. Tennessee, IMO, had a better chance of making the 2 point conversion against that shit defense, then Gostkowski had in making the extra point after missing 2 field goals today. When you are a lousy team, and have a chance to win a game like this, you put the ball in your trusted hands, and that's Deshaun Watson, not that defensive unit.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

Quote Originally Posted by HossWilbur View Post

Houston scores a TD to go up 36-29 with 1:50 remaining in the 4th quarter. You'd think they line up for the PAT right? Ya know, attempt to make it an 8 point game, that way if Tennessee does happen to score in the next 1:50, they'd still have to hit the 2 point conversion as well just to tie it to send to OT. Nope! Crennel just played this game like a 3 year old toddler that picked up Madden after their dad forgot to turn the game off and goes for 2, and promptly fails to convert it. Tennessee scores a TD with 4 seconds left in the 4th, hits the PAT to tie it at 36, receives the ball to begin overtime, and scores a TD to win it. I am completely perplexed at how an NFL head coach can be compared to a toddler. It's not like someone threw him into the fire, this guy was actually paid $1.8 million per year to be an actual head coach before. Sad thing is I didn't even wager anything on this game, only took Houston in a contest.
    i made the same thread and people were actually coming in saying that going for 2 was the correct call

no wonder there are LOSING gamblers all over these forums

Ravens same situation on road lead shrunk to 2 late and they stuffed the 2 pt try and WON

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    i made the same thread and people were actually coming in saying that going for 2 was the correct call

no wonder there are LOSING gamblers all over these forums

Ravens same situation on road lead shrunk to 2 late and they stuffed the 2 pt try and WON
    The point is you can't compare the Texans defense to the Ravens defense. The Texans gave up over 600 yards today. Crennell had absolutely no faith in them. Apples and oranges.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    The point is you can't compare the Texans defense to the Ravens defense. The Texans gave up over 600 yards today. Crennell had absolutely no faith in them. Apples and oranges.
    vikings on road faced 4th and inches to win vs the seahawks and got stuffed then lost the game after failing to stop them on a 4th and 10 and 4th and goal

proceed to get destroyed next week at home to falcons

guess what Houston is going to do next week... bet accordingly

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I love the call to go for 2

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Riverboat Romeo....lol....I support his call though. I totally disagree with comparing him to a toddler. How is it not the right call? He was going for 2 because if they got it the game was O-V-E-R. One conversion game over. Tennessee has higher than the 50% 2 pt. conversion average in the NFL of getting it anyway.

Everyone might bag on Crennel for this but it really was the right move. It didn't work out but it was the right move. He went to bury them and figured at worse he gets OT if they score. There is no coming back for Tenn if they get that 2 point conversion. But they CAN still come back down 8.

I feel bad for anyone that took the points with the Texans and lost. Sucks losing a game that covers during regulation only to lose it in OT. Happened to me countless times. Shake it off. Rub one off. Jerk one off. Slam your fist to some wood. And come back tonite with another play.

ChiLLx
    ChiLLx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9184

Crennel made two correct calls in a row. He went for a TD on fourth down when he could have kicked FG to go up only 4 (definitely would have lost). Then he made another correct decision to go for 2 and end the game. They just did not convert

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

It was the right call. That would have ended the game. He knew his team could't stop anyone in OT.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

I like the call

Bad team vs good team and you have the power to end it with 2 mins to go with a coin flip play, you go for it

Offense got em there, roll the dice on your strength not your defense

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

It was a good call if you went with the flow of the game, he put the game in his offenses hands

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

dumb decision. If you cant stop a team from scoring a td and a 2 point conversion at the end of the game you dont deserve to win. Putting your game on the line with one play as to multiple plays is not a good coaching decision and hasnt worked yet this season. Vrabel didnt go for two and the win, he knew they were better and would win in overtime.
    Zimmer, Rivera and Crennel special kind of idiots

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22604

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    I love the call to go for 2
    I actually agree with you, right call with that crap D.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

95% of the games it would have been stupid to go for 2, but the way that game was going I think it was a worthy gamble.

HossWilbur
    Can't Stop The Chop
    HossWilbur's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10657

I'm all for teams going for 2 every time if the team can beat the expected points of kicking an extra point, unless a situation calls differently for it (ex. being up 16 and going up 17 to make it 3 scores).

94% chance of kicking a successful extra point.

Up to that point, Tennessee had scored a TD on 4 of 9 drives. Tennessee TD success rate this game = 44.4%. Not only do they have to score a TD, they also need to hit the 2 point conversion. 2 point conversion success rate = around 50%.

.444*.5 = .222

1-.222 = 77.8% for HOU to not allow a TD and 2 point conversion in the final 1:50.

.94*.778 = 73.1% chance to kick successful extra point, and not allow a TD and 2 point conversion by TEN. Or HOU can go for around a 50% shot at 2 point conversion.

Not that I have any idea what's behind the scenes, but from ESPN's article... "According to ESPN's win probability calculator, The Texans had a 98.2% chance to win if they kicked the extra point, and 98.1% chance to win if they went for two."

The fact that Tennessee is undefeated is irrelevant imo. They beat DEN, JAX, MIN, BUF, and HOU. Of those teams only Buffalo has a better than .500 record. IND has won one less game and has the better point differential.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 889

Remember the fanfare in Cleveland for him? Lol

Yulia74
    Yulia74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4360

even obrien wouldve kicked the fg

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

I think your first question says it all. He's 29-56 as a head coach. How does a team call him up as interim?

As far as the call goes, no one in this entire thread has mentioned how the Texans came from behind and then went ahead. They had all the momentum.

The Texans had to get the 2-point conversion if they went that route. If they took the much easier route of the extra point then Tennessee had to get the TD AND get the 2-point conversion. It's a hell of a lot easier just to get the extra point and put the pressure on the Titans.

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!

I'm all for teams going for 2 every time if the team can beat the expected points of kicking an extra point, unless a situation calls differently for it (ex. being up 16 and going up 17 to make it 3 scores).

Up to that point, Tennessee had scored a TD on 4 of 9 drives. Tennessee TD success rate this game = 44.4%. Not only do they have to score a TD, they also need to hit the 2 point conversion. 2 point conversion success rate = around 50%.

.444*.5 = .222

1-.222 = 77.8% for HOU to not allow a TD and 2 point conversion in the final 1:50.

.94*.778 = 73.1% chance to kick successful extra point, and not allow a TD and 2 point conversion by TEN. Or HOU can go for around a 50% shot at 2 point conversion.

Not that I have any idea what's behind the scenes, but from ESPN's article... "According to ESPN's win probability calculator, The Texans had a 98.2% chance to win if they kicked the extra point, and 98.1% chance to win if they went for two."

The fact that Tennessee is undefeated is irrelevant imo. They beat DEN, JAX, MIN, BUF, and HOU. Of those teams only Buffalo has a better than .500 record. IND has won one less game and has the better point differential.

You pretty much said everything I said except that Houston had the momentum. Tennessee let Houston come from behind and go ahead.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

You have to be pretty bad at math to justify what Romeo did.

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

I get the call but I don’t agree with it. I just think you make the other team go for 2 and trust your D. Obviously he had no faith in his D whatsoever for him to go for 2 there. If he made it, he’d be a genius, but if it backfires he’s the goat. It happens all the time in the NFL.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

.444*.5 = .222

nice math, except it doesn't matter at all

they have 4 downs to get a first down each time this last drive, not 3

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Romeo is terrible at the helm. Never won as a head coach.

Ok coordinator.

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

Oldest coach in the Nfl, and his specialty? Defense. Yesterday, allowing over 600 yards. Enough to fire him today

stake1

Also, all these "Belichick tree coaches" never succeed as head coaches

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    nice math, except it doesn't matter at all

they have 4 downs to get a first down each time this last drive, not 3
    Even if they get 4 downs it's still not even close.

Let's say they convert 6 out of 9 drives using 4 downs which is 50% more which is being generous.

0.666*0.5 = 0.333

1 - 0.333 = 66.7% chance for HOU to not allow a TD and 2 point conversion in the final 1:50.

0.94*0.667 = 62.7% chance to kick successful extra point, and not allow a
    TD and 2 point conversion by TEN.

Or HOU can go for around a 50% shot at 2 point conversion.

66.7% is a much better chance than 50%.

stake1

Fired yet?

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    You have to be pretty bad at math to justify what Romeo did.

It baffles me how people write in here about how bad the Texans defense is (600 yards that game), and at the same time, say Crennel made a dumb call going for 2. Your math is what makes you lack common sense? I know a few people like that. Math wizards that can't turn a wrench.

Their defense was horrible. Which means they not only will probably allow a td but will probably allow a 2 point conversion as well. That's the Math for you. So, him going for 2 when his offense was on a roll to put the game away? It's common sense. If you can't see that because you're a math wizard and your numbers tell you otherwise, then you should go hang out with Rain Man a little more often and burn your house down with a toaster.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

guy knew Texans D would not stop Titans..as a panic move

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    It baffles me how people write in here about how bad the Texans defense is (600 yards that game), and at the same time, say Crennel made a dumb call going for 2. Your math is what makes you lack common sense? I know a few people like that. Math wizards that can't turn a wrench.
    Their defense was horrible. Which means they not only will probably allow a td but will probably allow a 2 point conversion as well. That's the Math for you. So, him going for 2 when his offense was on a roll to put the game away? It's common sense. If you can't see that because you're a math wizard and your numbers tell you otherwise, then you should go hang out with Rain Man a little more often and burn your house down with a toaster.
    You complain about people using math to make a point and you use it yourself. LOL!
    Here's some simple math for you: the Texans' defense was good enough to stop them on 4 out of 6 drives in the second half.