KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I think for college towns the loss of revenue for small businesses will be devastating. A lot of them will fold. The fans spend hundreds of dollars each in the local economy on weekends.
    Even further impact that they share with pro events.

Think about the small economy a PGA Tour event brings, but not now.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    yeah but my point is i think they're even more fukked if they don't play... all these schools killed themselves by being "woke" and then automatically closing classes for the rest of the spring semester... i have talked to quite a few former students that have no intention of ever going back
    I actually made an edit in that post that addresses playing football without fans and the decisions schools have to make if they do play...

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    ....Some schools might play football, take a loss, then decide whether to outright cut some programs like swimming or just cut some of all programs in the department.

Real issues here schools are facing now.

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22604

Men's Football and Basketball pay for most of the programs in college.
    I doubt any women's sport shows a profit and the rest of the men's don't either.
    All programs will be drastically reduced especially full pull scholarships for rowing, lacrosse, track and field etc..

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    Men's Football and Basketball pay for most of the programs in college.
    I doubt any women's sport shows a profit and the rest of the men's don't either.
    All programs will be drastically reduced especially full pull scholarships for rowing, lacrosse, track and field etc..
    Exactly.

And it's even worse if they play football without the fans, because it's not just profit lost, it becomes an expense on the whole athletic department.

The big bad SEC can take the hit, but the MAC and Mt West not so much.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Interesting thought process here. Men's Football and Basketball pays for most of the college programs in college, but ALL scholarships are considered equal. Wouldn't it make more sense to pay the players more that pay for most programs in college more if other athletes are dependent on them for their respective scholarships, instead of saying tuition, meals, room and board is good enough for everyone. Maybe this will be the year that football and basketball are NOT able to carry everyone else and everyone has to carry their own weight. Let's see what a scholarship is worth then. Keep the lacrosse, soccer, equestrian, golf, baseball, track and field, bowling, volleyball, gymnastics, women's basketball, etc and let them also compete and complete their seasons this year. Let every sport take a loss and let EVERY athlete be at the same risk as the football players. Seems like the sane idea to clear up what a scholarship is really worth.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Interesting thought process here. Men's Football and Basketball pays for most of the college programs in college, but ALL scholarships are considered equal. Wouldn't it make more sense to pay the players more that pay for most programs in college more if other athletes are dependent on them for their respective scholarships, instead of saying tuition, meals, room and board is good enough for everyone. Maybe this will be the year that football and basketball are NOT able to carry everyone else and everyone has to carry their own weight. Let's see what a scholarship is worth then. Keep the lacrosse, soccer, equestrian, golf, baseball, track and field, bowling, volleyball, gymnastics, women's basketball, etc and let them also compete and complete their seasons this year. Let every sport take a loss and let EVERY athlete be at the same risk as the football players. Seems like the sane idea to clear up what a scholarship is really worth.
    A lot of athletic departments are thinking that way. Like I said earlier, the decision is whether or not to cut some from every program which makes all programs less competitieve) or to outright just cut some programs.

If programs have to carry themselves, then some will be cut in hopes that they can stay competitive in the more revenue generating sports.

Many big name schools can hold on here, but so many other schools they compete against don't have a chance without the big sports revenue.

They definitely became too reliant, but why not? Why wouldn't they use that budget everywhere? It's an entire Athletic Department they are running, not a bunch of hodge podge sport programs under one school name.

It's tough for sure.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

A lot of athletic departments are thinking that way. Like I said earlier, the decision is whether or not to cut some from every program which makes all programs less competitieve) or to outright just cut some programs.

If programs have to carry themselves, then some will be cut in hopes that they can stay competitive in the more revenue generating sports.

Many big name schools can hold on here, but so many other schools they compete against don't have a chance without the big sports revenue.

They definitely became too reliant, but why not? Why wouldn't they use that budget everywhere? It's an entire Athletic Department they are running, not a bunch of hodge podge sport programs under one school name.

It's tough for sure.
    It's a brilliant idea to offer full scholarships in sports that will never pay for themselves or the coaches' salaries and support staff, yet constantly tell the revenue generating athletes we don't have enough money to put a little money in your pockets that feeds everyone else.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Reported coronavirus deaths, per day, in the U.S.

hard to get the chart to copy but it follows farr's law, like every virus

we are sloping right down to 0 deaths yet the fearmongering continues

Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

Reported coronavirus deaths, per day, in the U.S.

hard to get the chart to copy but it follows farr's law, like every virus

we are sloping right down to 0 deaths yet the fearmongering continues

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    It's a brilliant idea to offer full scholarships in sports that will never pay for themselves or the coaches' salaries and support staff, yet constantly tell the revenue generating athletes we don't have enough money to put a little money in your pockets that feeds everyone else.
    Especially given just how much those revenue generating athletes generate.

I say those other programs just need to keep fundraising. Bake sales and car washes until you can find private sponsors.

High Schools have the same problem, just funding some sports not scholarship, without football. Many shools in California are stressing out about this.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Especially given just how much those revenue generating athletes generate.

I say those other programs just need to keep fundraising. Bake sales and car washes until you can find private sponsors.

High Schools have the same problem, just funding some sports not scholarship, without football. Many shools in California are stressing out about this.
    i was just thinking how few of these referendums for new schools are gonna pass in the next 10 years

around here all these really costly, nice schools have popped up... in many cases unneeded... try telling me you need a new school now! after you cowards kept all the kids at home for months to "flatten the curve" and avoid the hospitals being overwhelmed. it was evident after 2 weeks that those were lies

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

i was just thinking how few of these referendums for new schools are gonna pass in the next 10 years

around here all these really costly, nice schools have popped up... in many cases unneeded... try telling me you need a new school now! after you cowards kept all the kids at home for months to "flatten the curve" and avoid the hospitals being overwhelmed. it was evident after 2 weeks that those were lies
    No shit, seen the same thing here.

Now they will start school in the fall here but students will have the option of online home learning or going to class. Even less students will be in school when it comes back.

First 12