View Poll Results: Should they have reviewed the final play in NO/Minn game?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 46.00%
  • No

27 54.00%
    pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i don't think it was blatant enough to call that, especially on such a perfect throw in a tight space. if that was a wide open area and Rudolph was just standing there from pushing off then it is different. i had the vikings and won my bet even before OT.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Guy clearly pushed off. Head was jolted and in no position to make a play. Obvious OPI but fuk Payton for constantly running it up on teams throughout the years. Rules should change in OT where both teams get the ball.

Cousins still a clown and will never win a SB but good win

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Guy clearly pushed off. Head was jolted and in no position to make a play. Obvious OPI but fuk Payton for constantly running it up on teams throughout the years. Rules should change in OT where both teams get the ball.

Cousins still a clown and will never win a SB but good win
    Easy big guy

Just because Philly chose the wrong QB to go forward with don't take it out on my class of 2034 hall of fame QB here.

Cousins continues to win and play great football
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: USCPHILLYGUY

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Easy big guy

Just because Philly chose the wrong QB to go forward with don't take it out on my class of 2034 hall of fame QB here.

Cousins continues to win and play great football
    yeah cousins is awesome, upped his record to 1-25 in big games

milwaukee mike

the problem is this stuff is so subjective and lends itself to potentially creating outcomes that the league wants... isn't new orleans the smallest market in football other than green bay?

ask 10 former referees about any play and a couple of them will probably see it differently than the ones on the field

Terry McAulayVerified account @SNFRules 17h17 hours agoMore

It is illegal for an offensive player to extend his arm or arms and create clear separation from the defender. That was OPI. #MINvsNO

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    the problem is this stuff is so subjective and lends itself to potentially creating outcomes that the league wants... isn't new orleans the smallest market in football other than green bay?

ask 10 former referees about any play and a couple of them will probably see it differently than the ones on the field

Terry McAulayVerified account @SNFRules 17h17 hours agoMore

It is illegal for an offensive player to extend his arm or arms and create clear separation from the defender. That was OPI. #MINvsNO
    Well the referee would not make the call anyway

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13401

the crazy part is they would call that any day of the week in a regular season game like the rules state they will ESPECIALLY on a pass in the end zone but not here lol

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18983

All scoring plays are supposed to be reviewed. I'd be amazed if this scoring play wasn't reviewed. I didn't see enough for OPI, nor did the game officials, the replay officials, (supposedly), or the game commentators. Saints fans can make another 'We were robbed' video and fire off some more lawsuits.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    All scoring plays are supposed to be reviewed. I'd be amazed if this scoring play wasn't reviewed. I didn't see enough for OPI, nor did the game officials, the replay officials, (supposedly), or the game commentators. Saints fans can make another 'We were robbed' video and fire off some more lawsuits.
    it was definitely pass interference, the question becomes "was it blatant enough to overturn the decision on the field". which is downright silly, either it's a penalty or it isn't, why be allowed to review it yet have a totally different set of rules than those pertaining to fumbles/out of bounds/etc.

John Parry
    @JohnParryESPN

The last play of @Vikings at @Saints is OPI. By written rule and on-field philosophy, Receiver clearly created an advantage.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

All scoring plays are reviewed, so poll is moot. Was interference all day long, but at this point I'd rather let them hand-fight to a point than call every little thing.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.

it was definitely pass interference, the question becomes "was it blatant enough to overturn the decision on the field". which is downright silly, either it's a penalty or it isn't, why be allowed to review it yet have a totally different set of rules than those pertaining to fumbles/out of bounds/etc.

John Parry
    @JohnParryESPN

The last play of @Vikings at @Saints is OPI. By written rule and on-field philosophy, Receiver clearly created an advantage.
    If it was 'definitely' pass interference then almost everyone would see it the same way. I'll repeat what I posted: 'I didn't see enough for OPI, nor did the game officials, the replay officials, (supposedly), or the game commentators.' I can see why some would see it as OPI. It's a judgement call. There are different rules for out-of-bounds, particularly when it comes to completing the process of a catch. Whilst I don't like being able to complete a play after it's out-of-bounds that isn't the issue here. This is a judgement call and the point of the replay system is to overturn clear and obvious errors - which is not 'downright silly'. Overruling 1 set of debatable on-field opinions with another set of debatable off-field opinions would be downright silly.

milwaukee mike

If it was 'definitely' pass interference then almost everyone would see it the same way. I'll repeat what I posted: 'I didn't see enough for OPI, nor did the game officials, the replay officials, (supposedly), or the game commentators.' I can see why some would see it as OPI. It's a judgement call. There are different rules for out-of-bounds, particularly when it comes to completing the process of a catch. Whilst I don't like being able to complete a play after it's out-of-bounds that isn't the issue here. This is a judgement call and the point of the replay system is to overturn clear and obvious errors - which is not 'downright silly'. Overruling 1 set of debatable on-field opinions with another set of debatable off-field opinions would be downright silly.
    and therein lies the problem, the "judgement" of a bunch of people that potentially had more to gain by the vikings advancing ALL SEEM to see it the same way! while the rest of the population is 50/50 split.

and i agree to disagree with your last sentence, overruling the 1st decision (which was based on one angle in real-time) with a different decision (based on multiple angles in slow motion) might not be silly, in fact it is the very basis for the instant replay system to begin with.

what wasn't clear and obvious?

did the receiver extend his hand? CLEARLY
    did that gain him an advantage? OBVIOUSLY

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57565

John Parry
    @JohnParryESPN

Mike, seemed like early in the season they were calling this a lot, maybe too much. As the season wore on they called this less and less. Maybe the Shield let it be known to the refs to relax on this call. As for this play, earlier this season, you would see a flag. Lately, I'm not surprised they let the contact slide with a no-call.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Last play of the game should always be reviewed in a game winning score when there was clearly a push off like that..

Saints got robbed in OT on that play that ended the game.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.

and therein lies the problem, the "judgement" of a bunch of people that potentially had more to gain by the vikings advancing ALL SEEM to see it the same way! while the rest of the population is 50/50 split.

and i agree to disagree with your last sentence, overruling the 1st decision (which was based on one angle in real-time) with a different decision (based on multiple angles in slow motion) might not be silly, in fact it is the very basis for the instant replay system to begin with.

what wasn't clear and obvious?

did the receiver extend his hand? CLEARLY
    did that gain him an advantage? OBVIOUSLY
    overruling the 1st decision (which was based on one angle in real-time) with a different decision (based on multiple angles in slow motion) is NOT the basis for the instant replay system, (and I didn't say that was silly). Replacing a call that 90%+, 95%+, or 99% think is wrong with a call that 90%+, 95%+ or 99% think is correct based on the current rules is the basis for replay to overturn a call.

Last year was clear and obvious. This year is not. If it was the population wouldn't be split, and you acknowledge at least twice in this thread that your opinion is not overwhelming shared by the public.

Potentially any or every single individual on the planet had more to gain by 1 side, (or the other side), advancing. Can't put a computer program in charge. Officials on the field made a decision. It was possibly wrong. Replay officials looked at it. They might have been 75-25 in favour of a flag or 75-25 against, BUT, they weren't convinced it was a clear and obvious error. If the initial decision had been a penalty I doubt they would have overturned that decision either.

Maybe there should be 10 impartial and separate observers to make replay decisions and if 8 or 9 disagree with a call it should be overturned. Maybe it should only take 6. Whatever. That's not what's in place.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

are u blind, if u extend your arms and the defender clearly responds to the shove by going in the opposite direction who cant see that, if defender extends his arms and wr goes back like that its PI all day. theyve long changed to overly offensive game in all sports offensive player can do stuff defender cant and that mindset has rubbed off on the viewers. I see wrs pushing off at the last second all the time and not called, should be. in basketball many times a rebounder will push off at last second and grab rebound I hate when thats not called its rarely called doesnt take much to get a guy off balance you cant regroup after that
    Last edited by jtoler; 01-06-20 at 04:49 PM.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

You don't review plays with the game on the line when the Saints play.....did you forget this or something?

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

It's clear offensive P.I., but big receivers get away with it all the time.

Can't overturn that

milwaukee mike

overruling the 1st decision (which was based on one angle in real-time) with a different decision (based on multiple angles in slow motion) is NOT the basis for the instant replay system, (and I didn't say that was silly). Replacing a call that 90%+, 95%+, or 99% think is wrong with a call that 90%+, 95%+ or 99% think is correct based on the current rules is the basis for replay to overturn a call.

Last year was clear and obvious. This year is not. If it was the population wouldn't be split, and you acknowledge at least twice in this thread that your opinion is not overwhelming shared by the public.

Potentially any or every single individual on the planet had more to gain by 1 side, (or the other side), advancing. Can't put a computer program in charge. Officials on the field made a decision. It was possibly wrong. Replay officials looked at it. They might have been 75-25 in favour of a flag or 75-25 against, BUT, they weren't convinced it was a clear and obvious error. If the initial decision had been a penalty I doubt they would have overturned that decision either.

Maybe there should be 10 impartial and separate observers to make replay decisions and if 8 or 9 disagree with a call it should be overturned. Maybe it should only take 6. Whatever. That's not what's in place.
    you make some good points and it's an interesting discussion

but i don't think you could ever find 10 (or even 1) impartial observers when it comes to sports

when it comes to sports everyone seems to have a lean... those referees on the field and in charge of reviews all have favorite teams, hated teams, etc
    Points Awarded:

semibluff gave milwaukee mike 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

no but they should find out what the hell the saints were doing with clock management at the end of the 4th qtr

First 12