Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Is Stephon Gilmore making a case to be a first ballot HOFer?

I haven't seen a player like this at the cornerback position in a long time, maybe since Charles Woodson?

What this guy has been doing on a weekly basis for nearly 3 years is incredible. I am looking forward to his next matchup against Deandre Hopkins. No one can cover that guy. But if he can limit him to like 60-70 yards in 1 on 1 coverage, that'd be pretty big time. Today, Amari Cooper had 0 catches. He ran 26 of his 30 routes against Gilmore.

Might even be the defensive player of the year. Who was the last CB to win that award? I want to say that Woodson was converted to safety when he won.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

I bet him to be defensive player if the year at +475 last week, defense should continue to dominate. He was helped by the bad conditions against Dallas though.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

For 3 years yes but he will have to be good for a much longer time to be a hall of famer

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

A report Monday morning indicated the Patriots and cornerback Stephon Gilmore have made no recent progress on a contract extension.

So what happens now with Patriots’ veterans scheduled to report to training camp July 27?

Michael Giardi of NFL Media reports Gilmore’s “side is open to a multi-year extension but would also be willing to take a one-year jump in salary – with free agency looming next season – to make this work. There is still time to hammer out an agreement.” The phrase “to make this work” presumably means Gilmore won’t report without a bump in pay.

Gilmore did not attend New England’s offseason program, including the team’s mandatory minicamp.

Gilmore recently told reporter Josina Anderson he wants to be paid what he’s worth. He is scheduled to make $7 million in base salary in 2021 after the Patriots moved up $5 million of his contract to 2020.

The 2019 defensive player of the year still is recovering from surgery to repair his partially torn quad, an injury that sent Gilmore to injured reserve the last month of the season.