SBR Drew
    SBR Drew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Next Poker Event Planning Stage

Well the Lightning Poker was a success. We will now turn our attention to the next Poker Event. Any all ideas (reasonabe) are welcome.

One suggestion that crossed my desk last night was a July-November Event. It goes like this.

Monthly top players (4 only) would qualify for a Final table in December. Each qualifier would win 1,000 Bet Points.
    Once we have the top 20 we have the Final table in December. Prize would be about $4,000 split between the 20 qualifiers. Anyone who makes it to the Finals is guaranteed to win cash.

Structure similar to this:
    1st 700
    2nd 600
    3rd 500
    4th 400
    5th 300
    6th-20th 100

July 4 people
    August 4 people
    September 4 people
    October 4 people
    November 4 people

So what happens if you qualify in July and don't want to wait until December because you love SBR Poker so much you need to play is daily? Easy you can still play and qualify in all of the months July-November. You would only get one entry to the Final table and the qualifying would roll down for any month in which a person is already in the Finals. But you would DOUBLE your Bet Point win. So Let say you qualified in July you get the 1,000 Bet Points for doing so. Then you qualify in August now you get an ADDITIONAL 2,000 Bet Points and so on.

Opinions welcome.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51473

The idea you mentioned is interesting Drew - honestly would not be my first choice since the "Final Table" would not take place until December which is a pretty long time. I think many people liked the recent event since it was only a month long qualification period after all. Granted this in a way could be viewed as similar since in order to qualify you might only need a month to do it, even though the overall event itself is five months long. An interesting hybrid! Though I still personally would rather the style of "final" event that lightning poker had, occurring more often with lesser prizes to spread the wealth!

Of course an issue that might be more on people's minds is what will the structure of the dailies become now? That in a sense is a more relevant consideration - assuming we use the structure you suggest, when you are basically eliminated in a particular month or have already locked up qualification, keeping people motivated to continue playing would certainly be nice! But of course mainly, are we sticking with the 6 max/1000 chip structure or reverting back to the old?

I'm sure you've seen this, but will reiterate the suggestion I've been making for daily structure as something that I think might work well in terms of making the dailies not too long but also not making them too high variance:

Instead of three tourneys per day, twelve tourneys per day - one starting at every hour from say 11 AM EST to 10 PM EST (or something of that sort - similar to the World Cup of past years!). Each person can only play one tourney per day still, and each tournament is maximum 10 players (a sit n go essentially, and 120 people total would be able to play each day which I think would be enough). Each tournament pays out 200 points total (so still 2400 total points paid out for the day, just as it is currently), Top 3 in each (just like a normal sit-n-go does) with payout 100-60-40.

And can go back to 1500 chips then since many seem to want that (not that I think it's required but is an option). But the main key is, since only 10 people are in each tournament compared to 30-40, whether you start with 1000 or 1500 chips, the tourneys will be much shorter than the 30-40 person ones. And I think that's main thing most people want - the issue is the way it's being done currently, the tournaments are being made shorter at the expense of being much more luck based/high variance in the short term - that's why I like an idea like this.

Again, in essence I would try to attack the issue that people have of tourneys being too long, not by shortening stack sizes/making it 6 max, but by cutting the # of players in each tourney as such. Plus the wide variety of starting times will likely make it easier on those who have very tight schedules since will be easier to squeeze tourneys in if you have odd hours.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

Sounds good. I never qualify for these, but it sounds cool for those who do!!

SBR Drew

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSh View Post
    The idea you mentioned is interesting Drew - honestly would not be my first choice since the "Final Table" would not take place until December which is a pretty long time. I think many people liked the recent event since it was only a month long qualification period after all. Granted this in a way could be viewed as similar since in order to qualify you might only need a month to do it, even though the overall event itself is five months long. An interesting hybrid! Though I still personally would rather the style of "final" event that lightning poker had, occurring more often with lesser prizes to spread the wealth!

Of course an issue that might be more on people's minds is what will the structure of the dailies become now? That in a sense is a more relevant consideration - assuming we use the structure you suggest, when you are basically eliminated in a particular month or have already locked up qualification, keeping people motivated to continue playing would certainly be nice! But of course mainly, are we sticking with the 6 max/1000 chip structure or reverting back to the old?

I'm sure you've seen this, but will reiterate the suggestion I've been making for daily structure as something that I think might work well in terms of making the dailies not too long but also not making them too high variance:

Instead of three tourneys per day, twelve tourneys per day - one starting at every hour from say 11 AM EST to 10 PM EST (or something of that sort - similar to the World Cup of past years!). Each person can only play one tourney per day still, and each tournament is maximum 10 players (a sit n go essentially, and 120 people total would be able to play each day which I think would be enough). Each tournament pays out 200 points total (so still 2400 total points paid out for the day, just as it is currently), Top 3 in each (just like a normal sit-n-go does) with payout 100-60-40.

And can go back to 1500 chips then since many seem to want that (not that I think it's required but is an option). But the main key is, since only 10 people are in each tournament compared to 30-40, whether you start with 1000 or 1500 chips, the tourneys will be much shorter than the 30-40 person ones. And I think that's main thing most people want - the issue is the way it's being done currently, the tournaments are being made shorter at the expense of being much more luck based/high variance in the short term - that's why I like an idea like this.

Again, in essence I would try to attack the issue that people have of tourneys being too long, not by shortening stack sizes/making it 6 max, but by cutting the # of players in each tourney as such. Plus the wide variety of starting times will likely make it easier on those who have very tight schedules since will be easier to squeeze tourneys in if you have odd hours.

Interesting feedback...lets think about this concept and any others that get posted. Again we are open to ALL opinions for the improvement of the Poker Events.

Grivas_Digeni
    Mini Horses FTW
    Grivas_Digeni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23436

Lightning poker was a huge success in my book. I spent next to no time on it because I was out in the first 5 minutes 50% of the time. And if I stuck around I final tabled just about every time. Nice structure - hope it is here to stay.

As far as the qualifying structure Drew suggests, with monthly champions - nice! Give everyone a chance to make it to the final without playing every day.

Another idea to kick around is have a monthly champion, but tweak the system. I'm sure some of you played Ultimate Race contest on another gambling site. You get to make 4 ATS picks every day, and whoever picks 200 winners first wins the first prize. On the day it happens, suppose players in places from 2 to 6 have 198, 197, 195, 195 and 193 wins. Now they continue picking ATS, 4 games a day, until someone else has 200 winners - and he gets the 'silver medal' and 2nd place prize. Etc etc.

With daily bookkeeping by sam at such a high level, we could use a similar system for qualifying (weekly, monthly, etc)

1) A target number is set. It can be a number of poker points/prizes won (makes most sense), number of wins (similar but not the same) or even number of cashes (bobby waves wishes!)

2) Normal daily play begins. Suppose the target is 1000 points. Whoever gets 1000 points (this takes at least 4 cashes, but more likely 6-8 cashes) first, is added to the list of finalists. Whether this player continues to play dailys for the remainder of the month is his personal choice, most would play for points but many would stay away I would think.

- if a target is 10 cashes, you would still get the normal 300points for first, 200 for second in poker points, but for the qualification purposes 1st and 2nd would mean the same*. Once 18 players have at least 10 cashes each, dailys can continue but the field of finalists (assuming it's 18 players like last promo) would be determined.

- a flexible Finals date would also make sense here. But from past events it's pretty easy to extrapolate a number that would be a reasonable target to make the whole event last for a certain desired period of time.

*Number of actual points could be used as a tie-breaker.

What this does is makes qualifying unpredictable/exciting for a big group of players, except a group of golden boys who will just win the first 4 tournaments they play and clinch. But for the rest of us, a nice SHORT run of 2-3 consecutive cashes would mean moving up sufficiently to become a monthly champion (or runner-up), especially if the several guys who are near the finish line continue to come up empty.

With no definite deadline I think you would see a surge in number of people playing. Just because after a single high-place finish, even if it's a fluke, your chance of qualifying that month go way up (less time for the 'golden boys', the cabos and jakepeavys of the world to catch up). I understand that a single 1st place finish also increases your chance of qualifying GREATLY in the old system - especially if we are talking a 1-month long qualifying period - but one of the benefits of any new system is, well, it's new. Players just don't know until they've tried it. And I see more people giving it a shot.

If you think this could be implemented I will write up a detailed draft qualifying system for you Drew, see what you think.
    Last edited by Grivas_Digeni; 06-06-19 at 11:13 AM.

Grivas_Digeni
    Mini Horses FTW
    Grivas_Digeni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23436

Nice ideas.

So how about World Poker Cup?

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Drew when you leaving for vacation

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Ditch the promos and bring back the old payout structure.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: thechaoz, TheMoneyShot, Lex_icon, and EmpireMaker

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29078

This last shorter promo and especially 6 man tables maybe impossible to top

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Good stuff

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

I like a monthly leaderboard.

Thinking that making top 4 might feel like a big barrier to a lot of regular players though.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I like a monthly leaderboard.

Thinking that making top 4 might feel like a big barrier to a lot of regular players though.
    sounds like if someone qualifies in july then in august those 4 dont count, so if they were all top 4 again in august 5 6 7 8 would go to the final.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Its a good idea but I would start it in football season and go 3 months (sept oct nov)

for summer i would do another quickie similar to what we have

5 months is way too long

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

I love the sit n go idea actually, one table 10 handed, 12 tables each day.

120 for first, 80 for second, to keep it consistent with minimum buy ins in the nl rooms.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    Ditch the promos and bring back the old payout structure.
    Yea I didn't even bother with this latest promo. I think we are starting to make it too complicated and over think it. I enjoyed promos like World Cup, the 2-3 month poker challenges etc.

I disagree with Griv. It was a great success because it's a jam fest from the beginning and you "didn't waste time". We are here to actually somewhat enjoy the game, but not make it a WSOP event dailey either.

Let's make it about as much skill as possible. A top 4 each month becomes 4-5 crap shoot months in pockets. I think something like top 20 in 2-3 month structure is perfect.

I don't even mind Arun idea of 12 tourneys, one each hour, so it's like a final table/short handed/heads up experience.

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

8-Max next? or back to old style MTT?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Keep the new format. Old format was awful.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Do whatever you need to do...

But PLEASE NO WORLD CUP POKER!!!!!!!!

EVER!!! EVER!!!! EVER!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!!!

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I barely played any last time

But I would recommend finishing this before the football season starts so you can start a big one for that when many are back

thechaoz

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Keep the new format. Old format was awful.
    I couldn't possibly disagree more

thechaoz

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

I love the world cup

And it's tough as hell being from the USA

unlearn
    unlearn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15427

Lightning poker sucks
    Last edited by SBR Drew; 06-07-19 at 10:48 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: thechaoz

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

I like Arun's ideas, especially about adding more tourneys and different playing times. But for the love of all things here at SBR shitty poker variance, bring back the 1500 starting stack and daily payouts to the top 10! Poker should be about a skill set, not a 5 minute shove fest for lucky ass donks.

I really like the idea of a monthly tourney with 6 man tables, but paying out the top 6 is bullshit and needs to go. At least with a top 10, if you have a bunch of shitty mini cashes, you might have a chance to string them together and make the monthly final. It will also create more action at the cash and Omaha tables.

And quite honestly, a July-November Event with only 4 winners per month and a final in December is just too dang long! Plus the fact that only 4 can qualify each month is too small a sample size for a monthly length of playing time, not to mention the morale busting saga of ending up on the bubble 5th and then a having to try and do it all over again next month. It will only attract the same players who can sit on their asses all day and play every single day. You're just ending up with same core of players who can put in that kinda time, while others cannot. You're not infusing any new players into the game because of a long 4 month commitment.

My vote is for the monthly lightning tourneys to continue, increase the starting stack and add more playing times. I do like the idea of a grand finale of all the top 3 or 4 winners from each month to be played every 3 months or quarterly, but you gotta make these monthly tourneys worth it, to entice new players and keep veteran ones wanting to play.
    Last edited by mikejamm; 06-07-19 at 02:47 AM.

Lex_icon
    Lex_icon's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11469

Just stick with the 6-max format.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

make the client accessible to mac users

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

short deck poker
    Last edited by cincinnatikid513; 06-07-19 at 01:20 AM.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

6 max is garbage

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

I honestly played more during the Lightning poker promo than I did for any of the other promos. Perhaps that was because the promo was only a month long so I had to play as much as possible to even qualify for the final tournament. I wasn't a fan of of 6 handed tables and only 1000 starting chips but I will say that it probably requires more skill to cash in that scenario because I only cashed once since I luckboxed my way into a win at the Final Table. Still that required skill just to make the Final table because we only started with 1000 chips.

I would rather play with a full table and a normal starting chip amount but to be honest whatever you guys decide to roll with for the upcoming promo I'll probably still sit and play because I love poker and playing with the SBR poker regulars. Personally, I think the format you mentioned is interesting but I don't know if it'll be well received because people seem to be in favor of a shorter promo.
    Last edited by jrgum3; 06-07-19 at 02:45 AM.

SBR Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Grivas_Digeni View Post
    Lightning poker was a huge success in my book. I spent next to no time on it because I was out in the first 5 minutes 50% of the time. And if I stuck around I final tabled just about every time. Nice structure - hope it is here to stay.

As far as the qualifying structure Drew suggests, with monthly champions - nice! Give everyone a chance to make it to the final without playing every day.

Another idea to kick around is have a monthly champion, but tweak the system. I'm sure some of you played Ultimate Race contest on another gambling site. You get to make 4 ATS picks every day, and whoever picks 200 winners first wins the first prize. On the day it happens, suppose players in places from 2 to 6 have 198, 197, 195, 195 and 193 wins. Now they continue picking ATS, 4 games a day, until someone else has 200 winners - and he gets the 'silver medal' and 2nd place prize. Etc etc.

With daily bookkeeping by sam at such a high level, we could use a similar system for qualifying (weekly, monthly, etc)

1) A target number is set. It can be a number of poker points/prizes won (makes most sense), number of wins (similar but not the same) or even number of cashes (bobby waves wishes!)

2) Normal daily play begins. Suppose the target is 1000 points. Whoever gets 1000 points (this takes at least 4 cashes, but more likely 6-8 cashes) first, is added to the list of finalists. Whether this player continues to play dailys for the remainder of the month is his personal choice, most would play for points but many would stay away I would think.

- if a target is 10 cashes, you would still get the normal 300points for first, 200 for second in poker points, but for the qualification purposes 1st and 2nd would mean the same*. Once 18 players have at least 10 cashes each, dailys can continue but the field of finalists (assuming it's 18 players like last promo) would be determined.

- a flexible Finals date would also make sense here. But from past events it's pretty easy to extrapolate a number that would be a reasonable target to make the whole event last for a certain desired period of time.

*Number of actual points could be used as a tie-breaker.

What this does is makes qualifying unpredictable/exciting for a big group of players, except a group of golden boys who will just win the first 4 tournaments they play and clinch. But for the rest of us, a nice SHORT run of 2-3 consecutive cashes would mean moving up sufficiently to become a monthly champion (or runner-up), especially if the several guys who are near the finish line continue to come up empty.

With no definite deadline I think you would see a surge in number of people playing. Just because after a single high-place finish, even if it's a fluke, your chance of qualifying that month go way up (less time for the 'golden boys', the cabos and jakepeavys of the world to catch up). I understand that a single 1st place finish also increases your chance of qualifying GREATLY in the old system - especially if we are talking a 1-month long qualifying period - but one of the benefits of any new system is, well, it's new. Players just don't know until they've tried it. And I see more people giving it a shot.

If you think this could be implemented I will write up a detailed draft qualifying system for you Drew, see what you think.
    Another great post...thank you. Will read some more here and decide ...

SBR Drew

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Drew when you leaving for vacation
    In a litte while...booking more details now...

SBR Drew

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
    This last shorter promo and especially 6 man tables maybe impossible to top

SBR Drew

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

We will shelve the World Cup Poker for this year.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

Best Employee ghost tourney

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

I enjoyed the new format and the short series. The shorter series gives more people a chance to qualify for the final, which is what SBR wants i think? The longer the qualifying period, the more advantage the better players have.

Crusherrr
    Please don't feed the trolls
    Crusherrr's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13851

Why is it always determined by one silly tournament. You play for x amount of months to qualify then have to win the tournament to have a decent return. Why not just pay the cash prizes based on leaderboard finish? Makes too much sense to me. Anyone can get lucky and win one tournament.
    Points Awarded:

Xstream gave Crusherrr 50 Betpoint(s) for this post.

12 Last