Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

White Sox Offer Machado 7 year/$175 Million

In the weeks since the White Sox made a reported seven-year offer to Machado, several followup reports have pegged the offer’s value as closer to $200MM than to $300MM. Now, ESPN’s Buster Olney reports (via Twitter) that the exact value of Chicago’s offer to Machado is $175MM over seven years — a $25MM annual value.

I've heard of lowballing to start out negotiations, but damn!

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Philadelphia offer will be the biggest, not even close, its just a question of if he wants to live in Philadelphia.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

but he wants 300 million

harper and machado want a number no team is willing to offer and the teams in the running are getting less and less hard to get in a bidding war if philly is competing with themselves

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

I think these last two offseasons are going to fuel another strike when the next CBA is negotiated.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

I've always thought Machado is super overrated. Idk..

Ratpack
    Ratpack's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1789

not bad if theres a player option after the 4th year he could still get another big contract at age 30

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

That Chisox deal is reasonable (from a business standpoint.) But at least 2 other teams will offer more.

inmyownzone
    inmyownzone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149

I think harper signs after machado. If machado signs with Chicago, Bryce goes to philly. If machado signs with philly Bryce goes back to DC. Philly said they aren't signing both. I think theyre (philly) gonna make a big push for trout in 2 years

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Man, if I could have been blessed with anything it would have to be the skills to be a MLB player.

inmyownzone

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Man, if I could have been blessed with anything it would have to be the skills to be a MLB player.
    Facts. Kyler Murray is an idiot for not playing baseball only. If I could go back I would have just played baseball and soccer. Least chance for injury, highest contracts, and even if youre not a superstar you can still make a good living playing sports in single a or a small league in soccer.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by inmyownzone View Post
    Facts. Kyler Murray is an idiot for not playing baseball only. If I could go back I would have just played baseball and soccer. Least chance for injury, highest contracts, and even if youre not a superstar you can still make a good living playing sports in single a or a small league in soccer.
    not actually true, only big contracts if u make it to the bigs then the team has control of you for 4-5 years look at guys like mark appel he was supposed to be a sure thing drafted number 1 overall got his 6 million dollar signing bonus and never made it to the big leagues

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Team is continue to overpay for offense that does not equate to winning

inmyownzone

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    nationals been spending money on pitching for years now and hasn't gotten them past NLDS.

inmyownzone

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    not actually true, only big contracts if u make it to the bigs then the team has control of you for 4-5 years look at guys like mark appel he was supposed to be a sure thing drafted number 1 overall got his 6 million dollar signing bonus and never made it to the big leagues
    That's what I was saying. chance for big contract but even if you don't make it big you can still make a good living playing a sport you love in the minors.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by inmyownzone View Post
    That's what I was saying. chance for big contract but even if you don't make it big you can still make a good living playing a sport you love in the minors.
    yah that would be a great gig playing for love of the game somewhere along the way baseball forgot about that turned into moneyball

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Whitesox just running up the price for other clubs. Worst case scenario he takes the 175 and turns their franchise around.

Cuse0323

Why do minor leaguers get paid so little while big leaguers get inordinate amounts of money? The NFL pays practice squad guys well, and they have much larger rosters. While also not having a bunch of ridiculous contracts across the squad.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    Exactly, hence Murray telling the A's he wants $15 million or he enters the draft. He's going to get more guaranteed $ in the NFL being a 1st round draft pick than the $ he was guaranteed by the A's. This isn't Jeff Samardzija where he was going to be a tight end or a starting pitcher. Positional players in the bigs aren't getting starting pitching $$$. Samardzija was never going to make $122.75 million playing tight end in the NFL. Like Samardzija, Murray is maximizing his future earnings. NFL QB's are so protected these days.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Why do minor leaguers get paid so little while big leaguers get inordinate amounts of money? The NFL pays practice squad guys well, and they have much larger rosters. While also not having a bunch of ridiculous contracts across the squad.
    Well having seen up close on 100's of occaisions the Angels farm system I can def see why they don't get paid anywhere near the bigs. They got a pretty good gig man most are not big league talent.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Harper turned down 300 million! The guy is insane

ikid2groove415
    ikid2groove415's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

I think Harper can sell tickets - not sure about machado

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

its apples and oranges

minor league players aren't paid by the MLB team they are affliated with most of the time

The tiny little minor league franchise owner that is also the ticket taker and sometimes mascot and janitor is the guy that is responsible for the minor leaguers salary. They make their revenue the old fashioned way with ticket and concession sales, and selling Ads in their programs and outfield wall signage. Only small % of milb players will ever make it to MLB, even for a cup of coffee. Each MLB team has about 150-175 players in US based minor league teams.

NFL has just 10 players on the practice squad. and instead of taking 4-7 years to develop in the minors. they are with the NFL team Everyday just like an everyday player. All the practices, meetings, playbook ect. They are one injury away from being in uniform the following Sunday.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

I was undercthe impression that Machado was Phi #1 choice all this time???

Harper medting in Philly only driving up price Nats wind up paying...

NYY don't seem to be in the picture for either....

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    I was undercthe impression that Machado was Phi #1 choice all this time???

Harper medting in Philly only driving up price Nats wind up paying...

NYY don't seem to be in the picture for either....
    Philly has definetely been more focused on Machada, I think they just want an insurance option if Machada says no since their a lot of reports that Machado would prefer LA or chicago.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Bad attitude. Bad for the clubhouse. Not worth that amount of money

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Bad attitude. Bad for the clubhouse. Not worth that amount of money
    This sums it up

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

thats a lot for a guy who braids his hair.. not a judgement, just an observation

inmyownzone

Quote Originally Posted by shocka1212 View Post
    thats a lot for a guy who braids his hair.. not a judgement, just an observation

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    its apples and oranges

minor league players aren't paid by the MLB team they are affliated with most of the time

The tiny little minor league franchise owner that is also the ticket taker and sometimes mascot and janitor is the guy that is responsible for the minor leaguers salary. They make their revenue the old fashioned way with ticket and concession sales, and selling Ads in their programs and outfield wall signage. Only small % of milb players will ever make it to MLB, even for a cup of coffee. Each MLB team has about 150-175 players in US based minor league teams.

NFL has just 10 players on the practice squad. and instead of taking 4-7 years to develop in the minors. they are with the NFL team Everyday just like an everyday player. All the practices, meetings, playbook ect. They are one injury away from being in uniform the following Sunday.
    Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Was curious who paid their salaries. Makes sense.

JayandCaitti
    JayandCaitti's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 276

Come on white Sox's don't you realize machado has a family to feed?

- latrell sprewell

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    its apples and oranges

Actually this is wrong

As I had looked into purchasing the Daytona Tortugas I'm familar with MiLB ownership

1- it's not mom & pop. It's big business. You can't even sniff ownership of even a low class A team for under $5mm.

2- MLB pays the salaries of off MiLB players. The minor league franchise is responsible for bats, balls (thou affiliate MLB usually provides as well), transportation, lodging, uniforms and procurement of a place to play

3- minor league salaries are small and MLB high because baseball is the only sport where you have 5 layers to break thru before you're anything. There are few MLB players that flop as compared to draft picks in NBA or NFL where flop rate is high. If you are in the minors making poor money then you suck and it's time to get a real job
    Points Awarded:

ans61201 gave MinnesotaFats 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

scot4
    scot4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2928

sports radio guys were talking today this is about what arod signed for back in 2001. to me well worth the money seems a great value.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    In the weeks since the White Sox made a reported seven-year offer to Machado, several followup reports have pegged the offer’s value as closer to $200MM than to $300MM. Now, ESPN’s Buster Olney reports (via Twitter) that the exact value of Chicago’s offer to Machado is $175MM over seven years — a $25MM annual value.

I've heard of lowballing to start out negotiations, but damn!
    Why would the White Sox go after Machado?

Makes no sense. They have no other talent on the roster, I thought they were looking to rebuild?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

With the Indians cutting their payroll, the AL Central could be had by the White Sox or Twins if the right moves are made. Hell, the Twins could afford to sign Harper and Machado if they wanted to. They have practically no guaranteed money on their books past next year.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    With the Indians cutting their payroll, the AL Central could be had by the White Sox or Twins if the right moves are made. Hell, the Twins could afford to sign Harper and Machado if they wanted to. They have practically no guaranteed money on their books past next year.
    worked out well for the twins paying mauer what did he produce how bout 10 playoff games for the twins and 0 wins

12 Last