Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

XFL Might Draft Players Before They Are NFL Eligible

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence can’t play in the NFL until at least 2021.

But he’d potentially have an option to become a pro a year earlier if he wanted.

XFL commissioner Oliver Luck has openly suggested the upstart league, which will begin play in 2020, could become a safe haven for players who don’t want to spend three years in college for whatever reason.

Lawrence, a true freshman, has to stay in school another two years (or at least not join the NFL) because of the collectively bargained deal between the NFL and NFLPA which creates a de facto free farm system, and provides colleges with a pool of cheap labor. Players have to be three years out of high school to be eligible for the NFL Draft.

During a December podcast interview with with Brian Berger of the Sports Business Radio Road Show, Luck said flatly: “We’re not subject to that.”

“Theoretically we could take a player right out of high school. I doubt we’ll do that,” Luck said, noting the difference in physical development between an 18-year-old and the 24-to-25-year-old fringe NFLers they plan to build their base from.

“But I wouldn’t rule it out,” Luck said. “Nor would I rule out taking a player who played a year of college football and let’s say isn’t eligible academically, which happens. Or a player who is two years out of college, and is transferring, and would have to sit out a year. A lot of guys don’t want to. . . . We are in that position to be able to take players who wouldn’t be eligible to play in the NFL. . . .

“But that’s an option that we have and we’re going to look at it long and hard. There are a lot off very good college players after a year or two who may not want to play that third year of college football, may need to earn a little money, support the family. That’s not uncommon as well.”

Luck has said the league will pay salaries in the $250,000-$300,000 range for top players (i.e. quarterbacks) for what could be a five-month commitment. That’s an alternative for a player who doesn’t want to develop his skills for room and board and the opportunity to take classes which fit into his football schedule.

College players can also take out “loss of value” insurance policies to protect themselves against an injury which would affect their draft stock.

There’s no indication that Lawrence is anything but happy with his Clemson experience and wants to stay. But if he decides he’d rather get paid while developing, it sounds like there’s a league that would be happy to let him.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

I think the "loss of value" insurance could be a kicker for some players. Basketball and baseball have all kinds of options available to get paid out of high school. Football should also. I would be an instant fan.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

These new leagues that want to be unique & make a splash.

Here's an idea.

Go old school & implement players having to play both sides of the ball.

Your 11 guys must play offense AND defense.

Yes, even your QB.

You can still shuffle players in and out of the lineup, but only after the player has played 2 consecutive series, one on offense, and one on defense.

Talk about making it interesting, this would do it.

PromiseLand
    PromiseLand's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Iron Man- I like it. Definitely would tune into a league that doesn't throw a flag every time someone looks at the qb the wrong way.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Reminds me of the USFL - the problem is the major TV networks are all partners with the NFL, they have no incentive to promote any competition to their partner.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    Reminds me of the USFL - the problem is the major TV networks are all partners with the NFL, they have no incentive to promote any competition to their partner.

Loved the USFL

Some of the coolest names & uniforms ever.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

XFL plans two games a week on network TV, two more on major cable

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57565

Love drafting the players early! Create added interest by being aggressive. If you want to make it, you have to play hardball!

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10364

I didn't mind watching and betting NFL Europe in its day

The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

No chance at succeeding any length of time.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19211

Vince McMahon doesn't want this to fail again, he's had a lot of time to think about it.